1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JAR03: Portugal, DG, Space Race

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by jarred!, Aug 14, 2019.

1. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Hey folks, I'm back -- and just in time to take on the next set...? Looks like you've been busy! Did you leave me any Hops to beat on? :lol:
    Until our economy is off its war footing and sufficiently healthy, I'd suggest continuing to follow Justanick's advice and not build a Gran in any town that needs a Duct to break Pop6.
    Ahh... strike that last: X-posting...

(Though if we can hold Athens, shouldn't we get a Gran for free in every town anyway? So that screenie must have been taken while Athens was still/again Greek?)

Though honestly, Evora is a major 1st-ring core town! Now that our borders have expanded so far, it shouldn't be languishing at Pop5-6, spitting out Workers, it should be running at max. sustainable citz (i.e. Pop12 if we can get that yet?) for max benefit from that Lib + University!

Rather, if we really want/need a '1-turn' Worker-pump (I assume: 10 FPT + 10SPT?) somewhere, we should do it in a semi-core fringe town(s) -- preferably on a river(s). Not sure where would be best, though -- would need to look at the save in more detail first...

2. jarred!

jarred! Prince

This is probably why I'm confused. When we hold Athens, it has a gran, but Athens flipped last IBT, so it doesn't have one.
    10 excess food while producing 10 shields is rare, I don't think we can achieve that in too many places besides Lisbon and Evora. Although there may be a chance near the wheat and cow in ex-Greece? The extra workers would just be to get the railnet up and then be joined into towns, so it'd just be a short-term strain before benefitting us. I find I'm always short on workers in the beginning of the IA as well.
    I'm not happy about not utilizing the university, but I think it's worth it.

3. tjs282

I agree that more Workers are always a good, but I disagree that a core town is the best place to build them!

Sure, we could spin the occasional Worker off any core-town that's about-to-riot, or at-Pop12-and-about-to-waste-food, but for a (self)research game, those towns should really all be maxing their commerce, i.e. their populations. If we really need more native-born Workers, I'd rather 'pump' them out of the soon-to-be-farmlands instead.

(And remember that post-RP Slaves work just as fast as pre-RP non-IND Workers!)

Musing: I think we should definitely follow through and wipe out Greece completely. Same goes for Russia: no mercy, kill 'em both, including taking down all their offshore colonies (if we don't want to defend those towns ourselves, we could gift them to a friendly overseas-AI). Because otherwise, as long as they exist, we will continue to suffer an inconvenient/ substantial flip risk in all their former towns.

So that will be my project for my set, I think: try to finish off the mainland Greek remnants, then redistribute to pivot south, and backstab Cathy.

Once she's (also) been dethroned, we could probably then hole up on our section of land, minimising our military (disbanding any deadwood, and cutting down to our free-unit allowance) and optimising for commerce/research (beaker-farming the extremities), and just let the Byzzies and Germans do as they please with their bit.

Pretty much all we would need to do to contain any potential invasions from the south, would be to fortify the choke near Yaroslavl' (or the one near Caesarea, if Dora is 'foolish' enough to give us a cassus belli!) with almost our entire complement of strong-but-slow-attackers and bombardiers -- but leave an open land-route to an ungarrisoned-but-out-of-reach decoy-town(s), so we wouldn't have to worry (so much!) about seaborne incursions behind that front-line.

To deal with the latter, our fast-attackers (Knights, later Cavs) could be split into 3 or 4 equal-sized rapid-response forces and re-distributed so as to be able to reach all our coastal towns within a single turn: then we wouldn't need more than 1 defensive unit at most in any coastal town, either.

(And maybe we could get away with even fewer defenders than that, at least until Amphibious War becomes generally known to the AI -- but by that point we should also know Steam and RepParts, and have railed everything anyway, so AI-Marines shouldn't be an issue!).

4. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Sounds good. The Greek forces on the mainland should be weak. I tried to build some carracks for an island invasion, but only got 2 for you.
    Consider gaining peace with some enemies once Nav comes in if lux deals present themselves.

5. CKS

CKS Deity

Welcome back, tjs282! Good job, jarred!

I'd probably rather run a couple of 2-turn cash-rushed worker pumps in corrupt lands than a 1-turn worker pump in Evora or Lisbon.

Greece is going to continue to be a pain until they are wiped out, but once Athens isn't a flip risk anymore, we'll be in good shape.

The plan sounds good.

6. tjs282

Here y'are.

TLDR:

The Greeks are dead, and I just started the war against Russia. I took 3 towns already on the last turn of my set, and our first Army (Maces, per @justanick's suggestion the other day) is moving on the first of their Salt-deposits (at Rostov). However, it wasn't all roses: at the one Russian town I thought would be the easiest to take (Khabarovsk), I failed.

Turnlog contains the usual musing, but at least some of it may (I hope!) help the next player...
    Spoiler Turns 1-5, 500-550 AD :
    T 0, 500 AD
    MM various towns, speeding up current builds and switching where I think it's needed:
    Evora Settler --> vKnight
    Lagos Knight --> Mace
    Coimbra rKnight --> Treb
    Sao Paulo + Luanda rKnights --> Courthouses
    New towns in former Greek territory Libs --> Courthouses
    Captured towns --> combat-Settlers
    I also notice we still don't have our FP! Need to fix that ASAP! Leader-rush it in Em after Cops is done? Or wait until we have Faro back...?
    If I can capture all 3 Greek towns in a single turn, I can force their cap offshore. Since Argos and Athens both just flipped, they should only be lightly defended...
    Once the Russian war starts, Mycenae also needs to disappear...
    IBT
    Alex wants to talk. Nope.
    Lisbon, Rio --> Knight

T 1, 510 AD
    Athens:
    vHop + rHop killed, 3/4 Knight and 3/5 Mace lost, town captured: all 5 surviving Knights moved in vs. resistors
    Argos:
    Just got reinforcements, so I don't attack it this turn
    Herakleia:
    Trebs go 6/10 to redline the 2 vHops; eKnight kills first, vKnight kills the second, town (+2 Cats, which I upgrade for 60 g) is ours; all units moved in
    Newly built Knights sent to muster on Mountain NW of Faro, showing that it's guarded by a vMusket! That's... not good...
    Sao Paulo's Slaves go to Forest a Grass
    Worker joined to Evora, 2nd sent to Leiria
    Thermopylae's Mace evac'd
    IBT
    Luanda riots
    Byzzies begin JSBachs!

T 2, 520 AD
    Carracks drop 1 Pike, 2 Knights, 6 Trebs on Thessalonica
    Herakleia evac'd (apart from the boats, which I dock to protect them from the Greek Galleys: hope it doesn't flip...)
    Athens evac'd: 4 redlined vKnights to Badajoz, eKnight to Argos
    Worker joined to Emerita
    Braga's Duct cash-rushed (48 g)
    IBT
    Smolensk now has a rMusket as well!
    Brago --> Mace
    Koreans begin CopsObs! Too late, Wang!

T 3, 530 AD
    Mostly Worker-shuffling
    Since there is no pressing need to chop the new Tundra-Forest near Evora, I move the Workers to join Evora and Lisbon
    SCI% reduced to 30% for Navi in 1T (and +98 g)
    IBT
    Dora can't afford our Horses anymore. Her loss...
    Navi comes in, and I duly queue up Chem, Phys and ToG (Newtons), then switch Guim's Palace-prebuild to Magellans (still 21 T)
    Oporto --> Knight
    Emer Cops Obs --> Knight :woohoo: (we can start prebuilding Newtons later, need FP + Uni first)
    Coimbra --> Lib (need Culture + beakers!)
    Evora --> Knight
    Ottos, Byzzies begin JSBachs

T 4, 540 AD
    Thessalonica:
    Trebs redline 2 rHops, but 3/4 Knights only kill 1 of them (1 wins, 1 dies)
    Now that we have Navi, it's time to import some Luxes: zeroing SCI% + LUX% gives us 293 GPT to play with...
    Wang gives us his TMap + 4g for our TMap: then he gives Ivory + Dyes + 5 GPT for Iron
    Hanni signs a PT and supplies his TMap + 100 g for our WMap; our Wines + 17 GPT buys his Furs + Silks
    Ozzie would sign a PT straight up, but I throw in our TMap to get his WMap; our last Wines gets his Incense (he has no spare GPT)
    And I'm done. We now have 7 Luxes, but no Markets, and still need 50%LUX to keep order; I switch all Pop8+ town builds-in-progress (apart from Mags, obviously!) to Markets
    SCI% to 50% for Chem in 12T
    IBT
    We 'lose' our Spices (from Dora) -- but that's OK, because we now have Delphi's. She can't afford to buy our Wines anymore, so I offer our TMap, and get WMap + 12g back. Ta very much!
    Greeks drop off an LBM near Delphi

T 5, 550 AD
    Knights land on Thessalonica
    3/4 Knight fails to dispatch LBM, or indeed retreat from him :mad:
    But eMace kills him, and Viriato appears!
    Unfortunately he's 1 tile too far from Emer to get there and 1-turn the FP, so I make an Army (1st Delphi Brigade), which I leave empty in Badajoz for now, just in case...
    Argos:
    3 vKnights is all it takes to kill the v+2rHops, and the town is ours again (Caravel sunk) --> Settler
    Greek capital is now Thessalonica -- but not for long! (har har)
    Luanda's Courthouse won't finish without wastage, so I rush it (24 g)
    GAME SAVED
    IBT
    Herakleia revolts (surprise surprise)
    Luanda --> Duct
    Spoiler Turns 6-10, 560-600 AD :
    T 6, 560 AD
    Foresting round Luanda
    Thessalonica:
    Trebs only manage 2/6 hits on rHops, but it's enough: the Knights ride in, and the town falls (we win 1 g). Location is crap so --> Worker (other Greek towns switched to Workers -- apart from Athens, which has been chopped twice for its Settler)
    Viseau founded on the coast, SE of Thermopylae --> Courthouse
    IBT
    Gil wants to talk. But we have nothing to say to him
    Wang demands Wines! I concede, since I don't want to lose the Luxes he's shipping to us. We also swap WMaps, which tells us about Sumeria
    Cathy wants an MA vs. Dora! Ah-hahahaha!!! No. But she can have our TMap for her WMap + 1g, aren't we kind?
    New Sparta --> Duct
    Delphi --> Worker
    Braga --> Pike
    Palace expansion!
    Korea begins JSBachs

T 7, 570 AD
    Herakleia:
    Trebs hit 4/8 vs rHops, redlining both. Incoming vKnights finsh the job, promoting one, and capturing the town --> Worker
    Decide to load the e*Mace and vMace into the Army, to act as cover for the Knights, and extra punch vs. Russian Muskets
    Carracks move Knights+Trebs from Thess to Eretria
    IBT
    Lisbon --> Harbour (frees up food for Oporto)
    Russians begin JSBachs

T 8, 580 AD
    Trebs go 3/6 vs. Eretria's 2 rHops: 4/5 Knight kills 2/3 Hop, 2/4 Knight kills the 1/3 Hop -- and the Greeks are History! Hoo-rah!
    We can now completely zero LUX%, and run SCI% to 100%, for Chem in 3T (and +12 GPT)
    Carracks sail victorious Knights back to Viseau
    IBT
    Rio --> Knight
    Palace expansion!

T 9, 590 AD
    Banking is now known by Babylon, Russia, Ottos and Korea, but all we have to trade for it is Navi
    , which I don't really want to hand out yet: Inch'on is coastal, so could cascade to Mags if Wang loses the JSBachs-race...
    Knights shuffled into position near former Greek-Russian border. Nearly time...
    IBT
    Oporto, Evora, Braga --> Knight
    Guarda --> Duct

T 10, 600 AD
    Carracks return to the (former) Greek islands to pick up all our remaining units

And it's time to give Cathy her choice: Banking, or death. She chooses wrong.
    Faro:
    4 vKnights kill v+rMusket (2 retreats, 1 promotion, no losses), and take the town (+3g), depriving Cathy of her Horses --> Worker (native)
    Pharsalos:
    2 vKnights kill vPike + rMusket, taking the town (+3g) --> Worker
    Mycenae:
    vKnight dies redlining vPike, vKnight retreats from rMusket, vKnight kills rMusket, eKnight kills 1/4 Pike and razes the town (2 Slaves) to allow better placement on the river.
    eKnight mops up 3 nearby Workers, Mace-Army moves towards Rostov with Trebs in tow
    Khabarovsk:
    After all that winning, our first failure: 2 vKnights lost (3rd promoted) to kill only 1 out of 2 lousy rSpears! :mad:
    The good news: we are now 2 units under our free-unit limit... :rolleyes:
    SCI% to 70% for Chem in 1T (+114 g)
    GAME SAVED
    Handover:

I went a wee bit Lux-happy, but our newly built Markets (some could be cash-rushed) will mean we need spend nothing on LUX% (even if we lose a few imports in ~15T time), and boost our TAX%-slice substantially on the last turn(s) of research. So we're are about to learn Chemistry (non-monopoly), and I have queued up Physics and ToG already. Don't forget to return SCI% to 100%! (We can afford it!)

I joined almost all our native Workers to towns at Pop6+, especially in the core, which is already pretty much fully improved. There are still a few kicking around that were doing jobs for us, but these should be joined to appropriate Pop6+ towns (e.g. in the former Greek territories, once their Courthouses and Ducts are complete) ASAP as well. We can chop/build lots of Slaves (and new Settlers) from our conquests (I already started doing this in places).

Bold above is because these are the 2 most important buildings for just about all our semi-core (~50% corrupt) towns -- which will be decorrupted to 20-30% once we have our FP. I have already chopped/ rushed/ built several Courts in former Greece, and Ducts should also be chopped/ rushed (as funds allow) when any town is 2T from Pop7. Some towns were/are already wasting food: Foresting tiles for extra shields towards the Duct, then chopping/mining the Forests when the Duct is nearly done, may be sensible. I can post a CAII screenie of still-choppable tiles, if wanted.

Don't worry about Lisbon starving: it will finish its Harbour this IBT, and then immediately have excess food available. It's built all its needed infra for now, so I gave most of its shield-tiles to Evora. I'd just use Lisbon to spin out Pikes/Maces at Pop11-12, and then a Worker (for joining to newly-Ducted towns) when it's about to waste food at Pop12...

Evora is currently getting 20-21 SPT: I left it building a vKnight, but this should be switched to a Settler, short-rushed (36-40 g) after 1T, and then switched back to a Knight, which will then arrive in 2 more turns. Rinse and repeat.

The former Greek islands are currently ungarrisoned and still have resistors, but also have Geeks working for us for 0 FPT net. I left the towns building Slaves (or Wealth, don't remember), but we could also rush e.g. a Warrior to 'defend'/quell those towns unless/until e.g. the Russians land units there. Then immediately gift the towns to Korea -- or possibly even Persia.

I razed Mycenae to de-crowd Castelo and allow Settlement on the river (instead of 1 tile away from it :rolleyes: ). Athens will finish a chopped 'sorta-combat' Settler on the IBT, which will then need 3 turns to get to its (my) intended position, 1S of Mycenae's ruins:

jar03 Athens Settler route 600 AD.png

This town-placement will also make it easier for the (by-then-healed) Knights to make their assault on Rostov (= Saltpeter).

The next turn may still be somewhat risky for our other border-towns, though.

Lagos and Coimbra have a Pike, Mace and Treb each, and Pharsalos has a stack of Knights, a Pike, and some Trebs (with more Trebs incoming from the Greek islands), so should be less-attractive targets for Russian aggression. Faro is shielded by the Mountain range, and a Knight is sat on the only road to Smolensk, in the hope that if Cathy does decide to attack here, she will try to cross the unroaded Mountains rather than hitting the Knight. But the nearby Knights can garrison/defend Faro next turn (if need be), and the vPike in Emerita can move south to relieve them in 2T, allowing them to set up for hitting/razing Smolensk.

However, Lourenco Marques is potentially vulnerable to a cross-border Knight-attack (the Russians no longer have Horses, but they did for a long time). If Lourenco is left alone, there is a vPike 3 tiles north which can reach it next turn. Even if Lourenco falls, (Faro and) Castelo Blanco should still be safe next turn -- but the injured vKnights near it, which retreated from Mycenae, are also vulnerable to Knight-attacks. If they survive, they should garrison in Castelo to heal/defend it.

Emerita will finish a Market this IBT, and I (think I) queued a Uni next. But if any elite unit gives us another MGL during the next set, I would strongly recommend running that Leader back to Emerita to rush our FP. If its shield box has only, say, 0-2T worth of production at that point, Leader-rush the FP immediately, then start the Newtons prebuild (we can add a Uni later). If it has more shields than that, switch to the next biggest useful shield-target and cash-rush it (e.g. if <40 shields, rush a Mace; <70 shields, rush a Knight; <200 shields, rush a Uni). Then Leader-rush the FP next turn, then start the prebuild.

Save is below. Good luck!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    jarred! likes this.
  7. CKS

CKS Deity

Sounds great. I'm glad to see the end of the Greeks.

8. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Good job with the infrastructure and luxes. I think Emerita for the FP city is a good idea, it's nice to have no corruption in our powerhouse science city.

9. CKS

CKS Deity

I've got the save and hope to start playing tonight. I'll look to buy chemistry, as it is cheap, and continue our research; continue the war with Russia, and follow the plans tjs282 outlined above.

10. CKS

CKS Deity

Short story: I made little progress in the war, but Russia doesn't have saltpeter anymore and we are about ready to take Rostov and get our own saltpeter. ToG is due in 4. Emerita would finish its university in 3. I think we should delay this one turn and swap to Newton's University. There are a ton of dromons in the north. I have no idea where they are headed.

Turn 0 – 600 AD
    We need to quell resistance in old Greece. Set Eretria and Thessalonica to building warriors for this purpose. Let Greek towns grow.
    Trade world map to Ottomans for chemistry, map, 42 g, 4 gpt.
    Trade chemistry to Korea for banking, map, 4 g.
    Babylon has metallurgy.
    Set science to 100% - physics in 7.
    IBT: Some Russian motion – see two knights. Athens settler to courthouse, Lisbon harbor to MDI, Emerita market to university, Leiria market to knight.

Turn 1 – 610 AD
    E knight retreats at Khabarovsk.
    Move wounded knights into Faro. Kill a knight, pillage some near Rostov. Advance on Krasnoyarsk.
    IBT: Three Russian knights and a longbow die attacking us. We lose a worker. Two dromons come into view. No This is Sparta aquaduct > library. Eretria warrior > warrior. Some resistance is quelled.

Turn 2, 620 AD
    Move toward Krasnoyarsk, Rostov, and Smolensk. Bombard. Eknight kills musket at Krasnoyarsk.
    IBT: Units move out of Krasnoyarsk. Babs demand Navigation, I decline, they declare. Sao Paulo courthouse > settler. Sagres market > knight. Evora knight > knight.

Turn 3, 630 AD
    Bomb Krasnoyarsk, kill pike and spear, take town and two workers.
    IBT: Lots of dromon. Lose Krasnoyarsk, which I'd thought would be safe with 2 knights inside.

Turn 4, 640 AD
    Retake Krasnoyarsk. Build Sao Mamede.
    Kill 2 spears at Khabarovsk. Kill a musket at Smolensk, lose 2 knights. Decide to go pillaging.
    IBT: MDI dies promoting our knight. Lagos market > knight. Rio Janeiro knight > knight.

Turn 5, 650 AD
    Two knights retreat at Khabarovsk. Moving and pillaging.
    IBT: Longbow kills pike.

Turn 6, 660 AD
    Kill spear at Khabarovsk, knight retreats. Kill longbow near Smolensk.
    IBT: Knight retreats from longbow. Learn physics, start ToG.

Turn 7, 670 AD
    Move and pillage, quell resistors.
    IBT: Motion.

Turn 8, 680 AD
    Kill 4 spears in Khabarovsk.
    IBT: Motion

Turn 9, 690 AD
    Finally take Khabarovsk. Bomb Rostov.
    IBT: Longbow kills knight. Motion.

Turn 10, 700 AD
    Move, bomb Rostov.

Attached Files:

tjs282 likes this.
  11. tjs282

:eek: :eek: :faint:

Jeebus H Ker-rist. How the hell did Cathy manage to put so many defenders in that worthless-looking Tundra-town?!? And WHY?!?

I hope that means it will turn out to have Oil, Alu and Uranium in its BFC!

Dwarven Zerker and jarred! like this.
  12. CKS

CKS Deity

9 spears to guard a tiny tundra town seems reasonable to me. Isn't that how everyone garrisons all their towns?

Dwarven Zerker, tjs282 and jarred! like this.
  13. jarred!

jarred! Prince

@tjs282 Could you post a pic of what tiles can be chopped in ex-Greece?

Are we waiting to trade away navigation until we finish Magellan's? I think the only AI city on the coast that is currently building a wonder is Incheon, which could have over 400s into Bach's, and could cascade into completing Mag's immediately if Bach's get finished before we finish Mag's.

If we get an MGL in the next few turns, I would like to finish building the uni in Emerita, rush the FP, and then start on Newton's from scratch. With lower corruption, Emerita should be able to bring in >20spt. Right now, it can bring in like 17spt after corruption (without starving), and would still take about 12 turns to finish Newton's after switching (400 shields, we'd have around 200 into the build; 200/17=11.8) This would delay us building Newton's by ~9 turns, but would get us lower civ-wide corruption and we'd have a uni in Emerita which would still add a bit to science. I don't know if this would increase the risk of losing Newton's in a cascade enough to not go this route.

Otherwise, it all looks good. I'll try to put a hurtin' on them commies :hammer:

14. CKS

CKS Deity

Yes, if you get an MGL before having to make a choice on university vs Newton's University, do the university and FP before Newton's. I think our tech lead is sufficient. If we don't get one in the next 2 turns, though, delay the university by pulling citizens off some shield tiles and switch to Newton's.

Besides Magellan's, giving away navigation leaves us open to attacks from the other continent. Right now, they can't cross the ocean.

15. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Gotcha, didn't think about ocean voyages.

16. tjs282

Coming right up...

Greece chopworthy tiles 700 AD.png
    That was my feeling. Navi should still hold much of its value even after we've built MagVoy.

That said, if anyone finishes Bachs within the next 3 turns, that should waste everyone else's Wonder-shields (according to CAII, no-one knows Economics yet; although Demo is known, FreeArt may not be, yet), so it may be safe to sell Navi while we still have a turn or two on the MagVoy build.

But bear in mind also that selling Navi overseas, may allow the Babs to reach our shores (even if we don't sell it to Hammi directly, Ozzie or Wang might trade it on).
    Our GA will start when MagVoy finishes (in 3T), so it would be preferable to have our FP (aready) up at that point as well, if possible. According to CAII, we're also only 3T from finishing Emerita's Uni, and it has the same price as the FP (200 shields).

The FP is therefore a (much) higher priority than a Uni right now -- not just for the total decorruption of Emer, but also for the reduced corruption across the rest of our empire. I haven't done any deep analysis, but my gut says that the decorrupted commerce/ beakers we'll earn from Emer-with-FP plus our other 2nd- and 3rd-ring towns, will outweigh the beakers we'll 'lose' from postponing the Uni-build.

Since we can't cash-rush SWonders (right?), I would say, switch the Uni-build to FP already. If we (you) get an MGL in the next 2 turns, we can always switch back to the Uni and cash-rush it, then Leader-rush the FP. OTOH, if we don't get an MGL (which is, let's face it, the more likely outcome!), then we would finish the FP with harvested shields just as our GA starts, and should then immediately start on Newtons, to get a headstart on the AI-Civs. At 30 SPT-ish, we would have Newtons done in ~14T, and we'd still have the other ~6T of GA-SPT to get us the Uni afterwards.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  17. CKS

CKS Deity

Yeah, that sounds like a better idea. I'd forgotten we had a golden age coming right up.

18. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Mindset update.
    We got the mgl but didn't have enough cash to rush a turn off of the uni in Emerita. I finished the uni, rushed the FP there and then started on Newton's, due in 12/13T. I've captured rostov, but it and Faro have each flipped (only to be captured back the next turn).
    Everybody learned navigation on turn 1, and I started research on magnetism (5T) after we finished theory of gravity, hoping to trade for metallurgy and enter the industrial ages.

19. CKS

CKS Deity

Sounds great. We can raze Russian towns if flips get annoying.

20. jarred!

jarred! Prince

Turn 0, 700AD:
    swap Emerita to FP

IBT:
    Russia declares on Korea
    Sumeria declares on Korea
    Babs start Shakespeare's Theatre
    Southern most Russian city (Orenberg?) is razed, presumably by the Byzantines

Turn 1, 710AD:
    Lisbon: MDI>knight
    Sparta:lib>knight
    Leiria:knight>knight
    Rio:knight>knight

Navigation gets learned and passed around by the AI, only sumeria, persia don't know it.
    Byz ships seem to be heading toward the sea tiles jutting into the ocean northwest of Lisbon. Probably an island they want to settle beyond our map knowledge. That, or they are planning a 'sneak' attack on Khabarovsk. I leave 2 knights in khab, leave Lisbon undefended and stockpile some fighters in Evora.

Delphi Brigade Army defeats a musket escourting a settler (+2 slaves)

Siege of Rostov:
    trebs go 6/14
    vknight promotes injured russian musket to vet, second vknight defeats him
    the fourth elite victory earns us an MGL (earmarked for FP in Em). He's 2T from Emerita, and there're 2T left on the Uni build. I'll let the Uni finish (no builds available to short rush), rush the FP, and then begin Newton's once ToG finishes in 3T,
    5th eknight defeats final defender, and we take the city! size 7 with 7 resistors, we take 2 slaves and a cat.

IBT:
    Byzzies call us up and ask for a 1:1 world map trade...I decline
    Byz boats continue to head counterclockwise around our continent, still no clear target

Russians move some LBMs out of cities, no attacks

We get the Heroic Epic popup

Germans start Bach's
    Ottos start Shake's

Turn 2, 720AD:
    Oporto: knight>knight
    Evora: knight>knight

Found Goa
    Goa: Courthouse

MGL gets to Em with movement left, but Uni needs a turn to finish.

vknight defeats LBM near Yakutsk
    vknight defeats LBM at Smolensk
    eknight defeats LBM near Novgorod

IBT:
    Byz dromons start to peacefully pass Lisbon

German galley approaches Thess/Eretria

injured vknight defeats russian LBM, promotes
    eknigh defeats russian LBM

Rostov flips (lose 2 vknights)

Turn 3, 730AD:
    Guim: Magellan's Voyage (GOLDEN AGE)>market
    Emerita: Uni>FP (rush)
    Braga:knight>knight
    Eretria: warrior>warrior

Defeat the german galley with a carrack

Only a spear defends Rostov, a vknight defeats them, and we retake the city! size 5 now, 5 resistors

More unit movements, disconnect Yakutsk from russian trade route and send the treb stack that way

IBT:
    Just some movements, looks like a dromon defeats a russian caravel on the edge of the fog, a russian galley enters our territory

Resistance ends in a few greek holdings

Faro flips, we lose a vpike and an eknight

Turn 4, 740AD:
    Learn ToG! Queue up Magnetism@90% sci, due in 4T. Treasury: 460g@+24gpt

Lagos knight>knight
    Emerita: FP>Newton's University (13T, should be able to make it in 12 running deficit food for a few turns)
    Herakleia: worker>worker

...recapture Faro, queue up settler to get rid of the russian population (assuming the russians were born after the portuguese)

IBT:
    re-up our lux deals with korea (iron for ivory, wines and some gpt) and ottomans (wines for insense)

Persia declares on the koreans

Babs complete Bach's in Babylon
    Ottos swap to Shake's
    Koreans swap to Shake's

Turn 5, 750AD:
    Thermopylae: settler>settler
    Coimbra: Courthouse>lib
    Leiria: knight>uni
    Rio: knight>lib
    Luanda:knight>knight

Siege of Yakutsk:
    trebs go 9/14
    eknight and vknight both defeat redlined muskets

IBT:

Turn 6, 760AD:
    Lisbon: knight>knight
    Sao Memede: pike>courthouse
    Sagres: knight>knight
    Castelo Branco: courthouse>library

Siege of Yakutsk:
    trebs go 4/14
    vknight retreats vs vmusket, then 2 eknights defeat an injured musket and a spear.
    lose an injured eknight trying to defeat a redlined musket

Siege of Smolensk:
    single treb hits
    lose 2 knights and 2 MDIs, earning only 2 wins against muskets

IBT:
    eknight defends against russian LBM
    russian LBM steals back 2 russian slaves

Bab caravels loses to our curragh

Turn 7, 770AD:
    Oporto: knight>knight
    Herakleia: settler>settler
    Khabarovsk: worker>aqueduct
    Badajoz: courthouse>lib
    Overlook Braga growing and it riots

Babs have taken a Korean city in the south, and the sumerians take Pusan, the city south of korea's Ivory city, Pyongsong.

steal back the russian slaves and kill the LBM

Siege of Yakutsk:
    trebs go 5/9
    2 eknights defeat the remaining garrison, and we take the city, capturing 2 slaves and a cat. It's size 8 with 8 resistors

IBT:
    Ottos finish Shake's in Edrine

Turn 8, 780AD:
    We learn Magnetism. I don't trade for Metallurgy which would cost around 606g (all) and ~90gpt to give us more time on Newton's.
    Metallurgy in 4T @ 70%. Treasury: 606g @+185gpt.

Sparta: knight>knight
    Sao Paulo: knight>aqueduct
    Braga:knight>kngiht

Koreans lose Pyongsong, but one source of Ivory remains in Ulsan's borders, so we don't lose ours.

Siege of Smolensk:
    win an elite victory, but lose 4 and retreat 2 knights

IBT:
    We lose our dyes and ivory from the koreans, Athens riots but I scroll and save the rest.

Byz take Yaroslavl' in the south

Turn 9, 790AD:
    Guim: Market>knight
    Herakleia: settler>courthouse
    Coimbra: library>knight
    Guarda: aqueduct>library

Bump lux up to 10% which puts most of our citizens back to work. Some towns will need courthourses to benefit from the boost though.

Byz have been sieging Vladivostok for the last few turns, our MDI army waited until a spear was showing and attacked. We capture the city, and I keep it in case it has oil.
    Size 2 with 1 resistor.

IBT:
    Byz and Russians sign MA against us. (After Byz turn)

Turn 10, 800AD:
    Lagos: knight>knight
    Faro: settler>lib
    Rio: lib>uni
    Luanda: knight>market

Ottos and Babs learn physics,
    Call up the Koreans and trade them Physics for music theory, metallurgy, world map, 2g and 5gpt
    We enter the Industrial Ages!
    Set research to Steam Power @90% sci due in 7T. Treasury: 592g@-54gpt

Siege of Novgorod:
    trebs go 5/14
    vknight and 2 eknights defeat 3 muskets and take the city!
    We also create an MGL!
    It's size 6 with 6 resistors

Siege of Smolensk:
    knights go 5-0 with 3 retreats
    Raze the size 1 town

Defeat a musket SE of Rostov
    Defeat a Byz LBM near novgorod

Notes:
    There's an MGL in novgorod. We could trade Ottos for MilTrad and make a cav army if we wanted to.
    Babs have extra silks and furs, and the sumerians have an extra gems. I don't think it's worth losing their WH until the war with Russia (and probably Byzantines), is over.
    Speaking of, how do we deal with the war with the byzantines? Their land all the way south to caesarea is mostly grassland and could hold a high population for beaker farms if we wanted to go that route.

Attached Files: