1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JC w/'mids, GW, 3 closest neighbors conquered

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by King Younk, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

This is dumb. How do I create a leader that is Industrious and Philosophical?

2. Tonny

Tonny King

There is no leader with the Industrious AND Philosophical Trait. I suggest just pick a random leader and start a standard size, normal speed game on Pangaea with no huts and no events. This way you will learn the most.
    Just start the game and do NOTHING. Post a screenie with the starting position and don't forget to add the save. Just wait and people will help you.
    If you are impatient, join the nobles' club series in the meantime, play a BOTM game, or just play another game for fun.

sampsa likes this.
  3. Anysense

Anysense King

@King Younk, I doubt any advice you've been given here so far is any use as long as you spend ~80 minutes on 292 turns. Why do you play marathon, anyway? You don't seem to like slow games.

4. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

People are nonplussed that you moved off a riverside forest and didn't move onto the forested plains hill. That was a crucial error on the very first move (if you moved off the riverside forested plains hill, that's an even bigger error). That's why the experts are asking you to post an initial screenshot before doing anything, so you can get advice from the very beginning.

5. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Alright, new game. Here's sitting bull on Standard map, Pangaea (sp?), but I left it at marathon. I really don't like the short games.

upload_2020-3-28_15-25-59.png

Attached Files:

6. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Give up on Marathon for those, others might have said this more diplomatic but i can tell you it's 100% pointless to pick standard size + Mara.
    You are wasting your time.

Gumbolt and sampsa like this.
  7. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-3-28_16-48-48.png

Ok ok. I met all the parameters now.

Attached Files:

Fish Man, sampsa and Fippy like this.
  8. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

I can understand the feeling. On any of the game speeds, Alexander's conquest of the Persian Empire was less than a single game turn and that is impossible to execute. Also in the any of the major global conflicts, they are all just a few game turns. A 100 years war is a few game turns.

9. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

For my first move, I'm going to settle in place, build a worker, and research mining, since I can fund my research of off that. Anyone disagree?

My other thought is to research agriculture so I can support a large population quickly, then do mining, then do archery.

Also, where does Stonehenge play into this? I know that's a great wonder for NA.

10. rah

rah Deity Supporter

I would have been tempted to move to the plains hills (SW) on the first turn. This opening really just screams two nice cities to me.
    You'd get your worker out quicker and you might see a resource that might determine your opening tech.

11. Anysense

Anysense King

Sitting Bull begins with Agriculture. Too many floodplains here (they cause :yuck:). I'm inclined to settling 1 east but there can be food 1N2W. Better check it with warrior moving NW or just west. I think its SiP if there is food, otherwise settle 1E.

What to research depends on what you see when you settle, it is likely to be either AH or Mining

No idea about Stonehenge.

sampsa likes this.
  12. Anysense

Anysense King

You can't do that - there are floodplains all over the place around that PH. Besides, there may not be any food, you can't know until you move.

13. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

I would move on the sheep for better overview, and who knows..if food can be grabbed on that posi, SoS (settle on sheep) could be an option too.
    Not like it's 3:food: are important.

14. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

SH is pretty weak for many reasons. Forget wonders for now.

Also, if you want to learn, you really need to play it slow, otherwise this will be a trainwreck.

15. Jellybug

Jellybug Warlord

I'm firmly in favor of listing SoS as an official civ acronym for Settle on Sheep

16. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

First thing: Move the Warrior to reveal some more tiles. This is a strange start, for a few reasons:
    1. No real 'food' source - Plains Hill Sheep can be good, but not as a sole food source
    2. Too many floodplains in your BFC without an immediate source of health (the Sheep can't be improved until Animal Husbandry) means a lot of unhealth in your city. May not be as much of a problem on lower levels (Noble?) but it can limit city growth at times.
    3. Lots of floodplains mean lots of food in the long term, but in the short term, when you want your city to grow fast, the 4food from a farmed floodplain isn't great.
    4. You've got 2 Gold tiles, which is great... but those tiles produce 0 food, so to work them effectively, you'll have to find tiles that offset the food deficit they have. And floodplains are just 4F, which means that working 2 farmed floodplains and 2 gold tiles at size 3 means your city won't grow at all.

Put all that together and that means you should try to find a city location that
    a) has a proper food source - like Corn ideally, or Wheat/riverside Grass Rice
    b) reduces the number of floodplains in your city radius (looks like 10, now)
    c) shares the Gold
    d) is beside a river or lake, because fresh water is +2 health, which you will need with all those floodplains.

And if at all possible, settling on a Plains Hill is a plus, for the extra hammer.

17. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

If you look closely at the tiles 2W and 2W1S of your Settler, you can see the green fringe of Floodplains, so moving your Warrior W won't tell you anything. I think the tiles 2E and 2E1N of your Warrior are Forest. So - maybe move the Warrior NW, which should reveal the most tiles?

18. Tonny

Tonny King

@King Younk
    Wonderful that you've started a normal game to learn. I see that you are playing emperor level.
    Let me explain the current situation if you settle in place.
    Total :health:: +2 from difficulty level, +2 from fresh water, +2 from forest
    Total :yuck:: +1 from population, +4 from floodplains (10*0,4 per floodplain)
    This leaves you only 1:health: to grow. Early game you would want to chop those forests making the :health: situation even worse.

If you go 1E with the settler and settle there the situation gets a little bit better. "Only" +2:yuck: from floodplains (7*0,4 rounded down) and possible more forests.

I suggest that you move the warrior 1NE to reveal some tiles and do nothing again, waiting for more advice.

19. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

Low sea level? Why select this if you are trying to learn the game?

Huts too. ackkk.

Excal, sampsa and Tonny like this.
  20. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-3-29_12-52-13.png

1 move done. Got 49 Gold from a goody hut. Maybe I should settle on the mountain for added defense, then research archery? I really want to go stonehenge, since I am defensive with totem pole, which coupled with barracks, would basically start me off with longbows from the get go. I am thinking of either building on the hills 1 space below my settler, or 1s1e to access food and hammers. My plan now is

Cahokia - Worker>Archer>Archer>Settler>Stonehenge
    Worker - farm farm farm mine
    Tech - Archery>Mining>Mysticism

SH is just too tempting. What do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.