JC w/'mids, GW, 3 closest neighbors conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it more tempting to settle and improve the surrounding area. Growth and Techs will be super fast. You can hit them hard with attacking units. A big detour tech wise and growth wise for some enhanced archers? That it not even close the target. Make a better plan. No offence.

Stonehenge only for some failgold if you happen to settle on stones.

Edit: Dog Soldiers are quite good and should knock out a couple of neighbours.
Edit 2: Those neighbours may even have built Stonehenge for you.

Last edited:
I find it more tempting to settle and improve the surrounding area. Growth and Techs will be super fast. You can hit them hard with attacking units. A big detour tech wise and growth wise for some enhanced archers? That it not even close the target. Make a better plan. No offence.

Stonehenge only for some failgold if you happen to settle on stones.

Edit: Dog Soldiers are quite good and should knock out a couple of neighbours.
Edit 2: Those neighbours may even have built Stonehenge for you.
I thought Sitting Bull wasn't a good option to conquer neighbors - that you should build an early wonder or two and capitalize on the defensive civic.

You are misinformed. Check out HoF for some quick conquest games on lower level. Use the adhoc query and filter SB.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it before but I highly recommend installing BUG/BULL mod which can be found here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/download-bug-and-bat-here.274636/

Install these together in Custom Assets and they will work for current saves as well. No need to actually load a mod. BUG/BULL greatly improves the UI and info you can access.

Blue Marble mod can be found there as well. It improves terrain and water graphics. You can also change the color of the UI.

It looks like I really did something wrong!

Spoiler :

upload_2020-3-29_18-50-13.png

upload_2020-3-29_19-58-44.png

It was also crashing when I tried to rename my backup CustomAssets folder to CustomAssets.

Added: I might finally have some success!

Last edited:
upload_2020-3-29_18-24-23.png

I didn't listen to everything yall said, but here I am now. SB on his own little island, just founded Theology. I'm thinking cultural victory would be ideal. If I can get Longbows (I have Stonehenge) soon, and spit out 3 per city, I should be able to defend myself until Muskets, perhaps even until rifling.

How do I win a culture?

Attachments

• Native America.CivBeyondSwordSave
    327.7 KB · Views: 53
Imma show alla yall and win a cultural victory. I just need to stop in and check here, because I feel like I'm at a Crossroads.

Ok ok.

Would someone post a save for me on here and then guide me through that?
I'd suggest going through the Nobles' Club games. Plenty of good, reasonable maps (some exceptions apply :mischief:) that people have played through and posted their progress through for you to contrast/compare.

I didn't listen to everything yall said, but here I am now. SB on his own little island, just founded Theology. I'm thinking cultural victory would be ideal. If I can get Longbows (I have Stonehenge) soon, and spit out 3 per city, I should be able to defend myself until Muskets, perhaps even until rifling.

How do I win a culture?
One more important question I feel like should be asked first: Who are you defending yourself against, completely isolated on this island of yours until someone researches Astronomy to build the Galleons necessary to transport an army across the ocean (which, given this game's AI, may or may not contain any units which can actually take a city), that you feel the need to rush towards Theocracy-fuelled SB Longbows for defence?

I'd suggest going through the Nobles' Club games. Plenty of good, reasonable maps (some exceptions apply :mischief:) that people have played through and posted their progress through for you to contrast/compare.

One more important question I feel like should be asked first: Who are you defending yourself against, completely isolated on this island of yours until someone researches Astronomy to build the Galleons necessary to transport an army across the ocean (which, given this game's AI, may or may not contain any units which can actually take a city), that you feel the need to rush towards Theocracy-fuelled SB Longbows for defence?
I dunno. I just figured I would get that massive defensive advantage and chill out in a peaceful civic arrangement for a while (research heavy, that sort of thing). Secure the house, then focus on culture.

I have since met Gilgamesh who shortly thereafter attacked me. I am wondering what you think the best path for a cultural victory from this point out is.

upload_2020-3-29_20-15-33.png

I've met much of the world now, and have caught up in the tech tree, somewhat. I have a solid grip on my continent - I want to build all the unit I can right now, before researching gunpowder, so I can transfer my Totem upgrade to those units in the future. I will probably go easy on the tech slider until I've upgraded all archery units.

Maybe I should build archery units in every city with barracks for a few turns - maybe switch to vassalage and theocracy so they start with a +10 point bonus?

What say yall? I might break here for the night.

upload_2020-3-29_21-10-23.png

Attachments

• Native America.CivBeyondSwordSave
    857.9 KB · Views: 56
I've met much of the world now, and have caught up in the tech tree, somewhat. I have a solid grip on my continent - I want to build all the unit I can right now, before researching gunpowder, so I can transfer my Totem upgrade to those units in the future. I will probably go easy on the tech slider until I've upgraded all archery units.

Maybe I should build archery units in every city with barracks for a few turns - maybe switch to vassalage and theocracy so they start with a +10 point bonus?

What say yall? I might break here for the night.

View attachment 550362

Post the t0 save for the isolated start. Give me a few days and I will show you how to play the game such that I will have most likely won by the time I reach the date you are at your current save. Also feel free to check out another one of my recent games for an example of how you build an economy and gain a decisive advantage.

Do some leaders and civilizations do better in isolation starts? I never played Lonely Hearts. My thoughts.....

SB is protective. Free promotions for archery units, does nothing for the economy. Bonus on walls production, does nothing for the economy. Unique building gives experience to archery units, does nothing for the economy.

The main thing going for him is philosophical trait.

So I think the civilizations that do best in isolation have two traits and a building that help the economy and maybe a later unique unit.

Next thought: I think you would do well to see some people play the same start and show you side by side what their empires look like at different milestones.

It starts with a 4000 BC save and a screenie! :)

The Protective trait can be used, I think, in that I can build a few more +100% city defense, +2-3 first strikes long-bows which can later be upgraded to super defenders in the later game, giving me the confidence I need to focus on culture.

That said, I am specifically wondering if you see a path forward for me to win a cultural, diplomatic, or maybe space race victory at this point. I think cultural is my best option.

But Protective as sitting bull w/ Stonehenge means my infantry will have 50 combat points as defenders, which is fantastic. 70 combat points as modern infantry, but I need to build a lot of Longbows now so the upgrades will translate to rifling units - need to take advantage of the UB, Totem pole, while running vassalage and theocracy. Right?

No one is taking this island if I build 20 cannons and 10 knights/10 macemen. Then I can forget about the military besides a navy.

With twenty cannons, ten knights, ten macemen AND 13.333333 (repeating of course) galleons you could probably capitulate one of your overseas opponents

Where are you getting this cultural victory from?

Spoiler :

upload_2020-3-30_17-59-14.png

Added: I tried building culture, then realized you have not researched Music yet.

Last edited:
Yes, of course when you are playing Sitting Bull you need to put your turtle hat on and show them what you are made of. Get Stonehenge for them totem poleses, build barracks, run only vassalage and theocracy, build a lot of archers. Try to get feudalism asap, upgrade to longbows. Aim to have at least five in every city. Build as many ironclads as you can and spread them to every coastal tile to keep the enemy at bay. Easy culture victory.

Yes, of course when you are playing Sitting Bull you need to put your turtle hat on and show them what you are made of. Get Stonehenge for them totem poleses, build barracks, run only vassalage and theocracy, build a lot of archers. Try to get feudalism asap, upgrade to longbows. Aim to have at least five in every city. Build as many ironclads as you can and spread them to every coastal tile to keep the enemy at bay. Easy culture victory.
Sounds like the cultural victory is out of question. I'll start a new game - who should I play as this time?

Alright, I'm playing a new one as Gandhi. I only played one move - to take advantage of 3 food resources and a coastal tile, and now I will wait for your sage instruction.

upload_2020-3-30_17-43-19.png

Attachments

• India.CivBeyondSwordSave
    104.7 KB · Views: 59
How do I get that upgraded leaderboard display on the side? Like how you can see which leaders like you and which don't.

It was mentioned earlier.

Also, I can't remember if I mentioned it before but I highly recommend installing BUG/BULL mod which can be found here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/download-bug-and-bat-here.274636/

Install these together in Custom Assets and they will work for current saves as well. No need to actually load a mod. BUG/BULL greatly improves the UI and info you can access.

Blue Marble mod can be found there as well. It improves terrain and water graphics. You can also change the color of the UI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom