JC w/'mids, GW, 3 closest neighbors conquered

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the BUG mod, Better Unaltered Gameplay. As well as I understand it, it goes through all the information that could possibly be available to you if you take twenty or thirty minutes between each turn to look, and presents it in a way to access it much faster. As examples,

It will tell you when a rival you have contact with founds a city. (Otherwise, you have to open dialogue with them every turn and look up their cities.)
It will tell you if they are willing to trade resources.
It will tell you if they are willing to sign peace or capitulate.
It will tell you if your city is about to grow.
It will tell you if your city is about to become unhappy or unhealthy, or if it already has.
It will tell you if you can whip or rush something and how much it will cost.

As you mentioned before, it tells you in a glance how many cities your opponents have and how much they like you.

It's a great mod and once you figure out how to install it, you will never go back!

The Protective trait can be used, I think, in that I can build a few more +100% city defense, +2-3 first strikes long-bows which can later be upgraded to super defenders in the later game, giving me the confidence I need to focus on culture.

That said, I am specifically wondering if you see a path forward for me to win a cultural, diplomatic, or maybe space race victory at this point. I think cultural is my best option.

But Protective as sitting bull w/ Stonehenge means my infantry will have 50 combat points as defenders, which is fantastic. 70 combat points as modern infantry, but I need to build a lot of Longbows now so the upgrades will translate to rifling units - need to take advantage of the UB, Totem pole, while running vassalage and theocracy. Right?

No one is taking this island if I build 20 cannons and 10 knights/10 macemen. Then I can forget about the military besides a navy.
In short? No. Play the map, not your leader is a common piece of advice - if you're playing as an Industrious leader and have nearby Marble and Stone you don't spam wonders the entire time if you're right next to a boxed-in Monty, you build units to prepare for the inevitable DoW and perhaps even take the fight to him. If that means selling off your stone and marble to secure someone else's copper or horses, so be it - you're not going to be able to make use of them anyway, because if you spend all your time building Monty is just going to take it from you.

Alright, I'm playing a new one as Gandhi. I only played one move - to take advantage of 3 food resources and a coastal tile, and now I will wait for your sage instruction.

You only played one move, but it was an important one. If you really want to learn from this, you must make it a habit to wait for advice before making a move.
The reason is not, that the capital spot you have chosen is especially good or bad. People here could easily show you how to win this game from any possible city location, even if you settled right on the corn. The point is, that any piece of advice given in hindsight can not be applied anymore and will not lead to you learning something.

How to learn:
1. Post screenshot, don't move
2. Think about what you would do and describe the move/decision you intend to make (but don't execute yet)
3. Wait for feedback from the awesome folks here
4. Compare feedback with your initially planned move
5. If there's a difference, try to understand reasoning behind it. If that fails, ask specific questions (people will be happy to explain in more detail)
6. Execute move and think about next decision. Move/decision applies to choosing techs, builds, etc. Repeat from 1.

I took a closer look at the screenshot. For some reason I thought he settled in place.

Now it looks like he started on the oasis and the warrior started on the corn and moved to the hill.

So right now, (still on turn 1) I am thinking of focusing on agricutlure, ah, hunting, archery, bw, then masonry to build mids, since I'm Philosophical and Spiritual, thus I will get the GE and can quickly build other wonders.

What say yall?

Wait, but which one should I download? Bull, Bug, or Bat?
BUG should do you. As I recall, BULL is for HoF games and makes reloading impossible. I don't remember if BAT includes the Better AI mod or just adds Blue Marble.

So right now, (still on turn 1) I am thinking of focusing on agricutlure, ah, hunting, archery, bw, then masonry to build mids, since I'm Philosophical and Spiritual, thus I will get the GE and can quickly build other wonders.

What say yall?
Have you read any of the advice given to you previously in this thread? Go back and read what was said about wonders and playing the map vs. playing your leader/civ. Also, why this particular tech path? Explain your reasoning so others can analyze. With corn in your inner ring, agriculture is probably a no-brainier. With sheep and pigs visible, animal husbandry is probably defensible as second tech. But why hunting and archery? The debate should be whether to go fishing before bronze working or after. Archery should only be considered if there's no nearby copper or horses.

BUG should do you. As I recall, BULL is for HoF games and makes reloading impossible. I don't remember if BAT includes the Better AI mod or just adds Blue Marble.
The HoF mod is BUFFY. BULL is an extension of BUG (or at least I see it like that) which adds a few extra features that BUG doesn't have. Things like workers automatically cancelling chopping orders for pre-chopping, being able to see First Impressions diplo modifiers, etc. BULL can be installed as a Custom Assets mod just like BUG, no issues with loading (or reloading) at all :thumbsup:.

What say yall?
In addition to the wisdom dispensed by the above :ninja:, I'll say "please don't build mids so you can generate and settle a GE". Or if that wasn't your plan I'd like an explanation how one GE will help you quickly build other wonders, plural.

Well, I could go back to my game which I'm messing up nicely and I do a few of the same things, but not quite so many turns. 17 turns of war and one post in the middle, then 10 turns of peace.

Added: Is it possible he does not know how to set up a custom game? Before, he did not know how to get and install the BUG mod. (Neither did I, actually. It took a couple of tries and I made a mess of my installation.)

Last edited:
You can set world size and sealevel just fine even if you don't use the Custom Game option, though. It just won't give you the option to turn off huts/events (or any of the other custom game options in that same list).

upload_2020-4-4_10-1-44.png

Well, I'm in first this game. Conquered the Chinese to the north, and fought the Native Americans to the west. Also built 'mids and GW.

Wondering if I should go after Pericles, since he is semi-isolated due to being the only Hindu country, and a potential threat later on.

Any thoughts where I should go from here? I was thinking of beelining the middle ages weaponry (trebuchet, maceman, pikeman, and longbows) and then switching to police state and vassalage.

What do?

Attachments

• Babylon.CivBeyondSwordSave
    427.8 KB · Views: 64
Well the Byzantines came to finish me off and take my beautiful Pyramids. What should I have done?

Diplomacy is one of the things that's made more complex and disproportionally more difficult to manage by playing Huge/Mara, with random events no less, where there's a large number of AIs you've got to watch and a large web of diplomacy you have to keep in mind, keep up with and work with. Which, at any point, can be set on fire because an RE pops up and throws a wrench into things.

Cannot stress enough that if you want to learn how to play this game: Standard size map (including sea level), standard speed, average leader (no noticeable early unique stuff, preferably basic traits that don't have a major impact as well), no huts or events, everything else default, with an average starting position. You can figure out the ins and outs of gimmicky Huge/Mara maps after you've gotten the basics down, but you're going to need a controlled, stable environment to get those basics down first.

upload_2020-4-11_7-5-57.png

Thanks for the advice everyone, I incorporated some of it.

Right now I'm going for a cultural victory as QSH, and decided to take a break for now. I am running Police State and Slavery, hoping to get CoL to found Confucianism and open up the Caste System/Rep. civic duo after building up my military.

Right now I think I should focus on building cottages and financial cities.

Any advice on how to proceed? I have GW, Mids, and Oracle in 2 different cities (Beijing and Guangzhou) and whichever city founds a religion I will turn into the third cultural city.

How many cities should I aim for now? For the entire game? I'm not look to warmonger, just build.

Attachments

• China.CivBeyondSwordSave
    278 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom