1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JC w/'mids, GW, 3 closest neighbors conquered

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by King Younk, Mar 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I don't think that is a great map/leader to learn from. Judging from your previous saves you seem to struggle pretty early on in games. Building mids alone won't win you games.

The attached would be a much better save to learn from. Normal settings. Normal speed. Pangea map.

If you really want help then you have to take a hands up when it is offered. If your willing to make an effort and play short sets of 10-15 turns people will help you.

Where would you settle here?

What techs would you research?

Where would you move warrior before settling?

Attached Files:

Tonny likes this.
  2. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I would like to play this one. I would settle in place for food, build 1 or 2 work boats (while working the 2 hammer tile), research hunting, then probably bw, and send the warrior 1n.

Should I proceed?

3. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I just realized that the issue is that I'm marathon. I'll post a new game soon.

lymond likes this.
  4. Harv

Harv Emperor Supporter

I had my hopes up for tour of Earth 18 Civs in five minutes!
    :lol:

5. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

I don't think the Roman Deer/Crab map is so horrible. Romans start with FISH/Mining, so can be a decent start. Marathon speed could be changed in the world builder, but must be changed :)
    But of course, a new map is also fine. STANDARD size plz :blush:

You know, standard size + normal speed work very well together
    marathon is for huge maps and quick for the small + tiny maps

Ofc one can play any speed on any map size but that means getting unnatural advantages / or disadvantages

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  6. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

The Island Eath 18 maps are pretty broken. As colonial maintenance kills the game. You either have to spam court houses or move your capital onto the mainland. Some of my recently captured cities had -9.97 costs from colonial expansion. I had captured 14 mianland cities. Hence why the OP here struggled on his Chinese game. Albeit I don't think he noticed why he was losng 35 gold a turn. Which is why spending a few moments to look at detail really matters in Civ 4.

Just did a test on moving Palace and this fixes the English issue. Albeit it's the same on any continent map. The minute you capture lots of cities not on your continent costs rocket sharply. Albeit late game you can normally handle these costs.

The map I posted would of been a good kind of challenge for him. Not sure why he rejected this so quickly.

I don't know if he wants a small map to make the game easier for him? I count 6-7+ emperor games now where he has quit. I wonder if he should move to Monarch to get some of his game basics right. You need to be able to beat the game on standard settings on a normal map. Which means not hiding away on islands to avoid AI dow. Not relying on huts to reach techs like IW early.

Marathan settings should of made game much easier as the window to use units like praets/ horse archers and elephants is much bigger. Of course if your not doing this on marathan the Ai may just spam units while you sit in cities with 1-2 defenders. Make no mistake the AI will eventually attack someone. If you have a low power rating/low population and you ignore diplomacy you reach the top of the target list quickly. With a tech advantage the AI will always try to bribe another AI in on first turn of war.

7. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Ok, new game, with all the criteria you requested, but I'm still doing Emperor (since I've beaten Monarch enough times).

upload_2020-4-18_10-24-16.png

I think I'll settle in place, build a worker, and research any relevant food techs I can first, then go to sailing, then BW, then Archery, then pottery.

What say yall?

For city production, I think a worker, then warrior (or warriors until I reach population 2), then a settler. If I am on a small enough island, I will fogbust with warriors and reinvest the opportunity cost in workers/buildings/settlers to completely cover the island, minus and trash land(tundra/desert).

I'll send my warrior south, since it looks like there's more land down there. Or should I send him north so I can narrow my focus?

What say y'all?

Attached Files:

8. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

send the warrior SE to see if there is seafood which would make a settle on that very same PH ideal (keeping the pigs, having +1H )
    you already know that there is no seafood in your current BFC so why send the warrior north?
    you can check out the northern cap later, but it won't help for the immediate decision where to place the capitol
    settling on the center PH is an option to get a ship-transit city

Edit: Sorry didn't see any seafood resources (always play with resource bubbles on)

9. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Babylon also needs mining. For me it looks like a cap up there with those rounded land tiles, but i could be wrong.

10. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-4-18_10-43-52.png

I think you missed that there are two seafood already out.

I'm researching AH, Fishing, Mining, then BW, as was suggested.

Ok, no archery. I think 3-4 warirors can fogbust the continent and let me peacefully develop for a good 200-300 turns, no?

11. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

yes, missed them, i am used to resource bubbles. and there is probably no cap neither. don't count me as an expert :lol:
    However, congrats to a perfectly settled capitol!

12. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

I should do mining/bw before ah? Or after? What should my first 5 techs be?

13. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-4-18_11-17-59.png

Ok, I jumped ahead 12 turns since I was just exploring. It turns out that my belief that the south was larger than the north was wrong, so now I will be sending my warrior to explore the north. Everything else is proceeding as according to plan - I intend to send the warrior my current city is working on to fogbust the south - that was I can concentrate my forces in the north.

14. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-4-18_11-24-7.png
    Ok, met a couple of civs. I'm thinking my first settler should block off Russia from encroaching into my penninsula as much as possible.

I was also considering genociding them, as Peter's kind of a dick. Is this an advisable strategy? Should I attempt IW and take them out?

15. Gumbolt

Gumbolt Phoenix Rising

I don't think AH first is that bad. You can go fishing next. Then mining, BW and still get a settler by a good date. Use 3H tiles once your capital is size 2 and mine the wine. You can get workboats in 6 turns. You can get out 2 workboats.

Looks like you already played on. AH first with 12 turn worker seems logical.

I think this beats worker till fishing then workboat in 6 turns.

16. Tobiyogi

Tobiyogi King

Jungle could take over to the pig's hill, happens sometimes, you can stay on that hill, fogbusting is not much worse from there

17. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

upload_2020-4-18_12-16-36.png

Well, here I am now. I'll wait for a bit for some comments. What should I do now?

18. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Ok, I'll come back to this later.

19. King Younk

King Younk Warlord

Ok f&$k Babylon, I'm going to play the Holy Roman Empire, just as I'll defend the Catholic faith to the death. Here it is.

upload_2020-4-18_22-29-38.png

Attached Files:

20. Jellybug

Jellybug Warlord

Ahhhhhhh please play Julius Caesar, build the pyramids, and conquer your three closest neighbors so we can close the wormhole and go back to the future where we all belong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.