Jeff Briggs confirms: Civ 4 currently in developement

The prototype might use C3(and Conquests) as a platform... overhauling certain things such as the AI, culture, industry, etc... at least in the very early days (yes, days). They will likely have an agenda of what to accomplish, etc. Working thier way up like steps on a staircase, accomplishing the little things first.

However, 229 steps into the process it;ll have changed quite a bit from Civ 3, and by step 569 it'll be about at the point of Civ 4. That;s out of 720 steps assuming two years. ;-)

They might even go back to Civ 1 and take the very core of the game and work thier way up, so we might even see a massive overhaul that makes the transition from Civ 2 to Civ 3 look like an expansion.

Also, Civ games have had nice graphics... but they don't shoot for the best possibly as they focus more on game play, and playability on a technogical level (allowing people to not need an uber computer to play the game at an acceptable rate).

Things I'd like to see:
Hebrews
More unique twists to governments, including relations.
Higher limit of Civs.
A commercial like affect similar to culture (like how American corporations (Coke, or McDonalds as examples)) have a presence globally.
This might be accomplished by creating corporations via wonder (or an economic type leader created by being one of the better economic powers, or having one of the best inudstrial capacities) which then bring income. Perhaps a fraction of a cities gold, although maybe the corp has a cost (to reflect costs). This might depend on cultural influence, your governments (yours and others), geographic location, etc. Example: Playing a Democratic nation, you will have a better effect (and be better effected), as opposed to a Communist or possibly Fascist nation. Also, civ traits might contribute to this. (IE Industrial/Commercial America under Democracy would greatly affect a yyy/Commercial Democratic Greece with less economic and industrial capacity)

Also, a few more civ traits.

There's alot of options (that I hope they add) to Civ4, hopefully they take there time with it also and not rush something crappy out.

Also, while many don't consider this: Swiss. They'd be fun to play, especially if the non-militaristic route is developed some more... especially the diplomatic edge... even though I'm a Warmonger :D

I'd also like to see another Native North American civ(s) developed. Perhaps an asian civ or two as well. More African civs, Abyssinia/Ethiopia would be nice.

I REALLY would love to see that commerce efeect similar to culture, that'd be sweet.

---------------------------
If they are watching these boards they have been probably seeing what we say, how we react to things, and are getting a feel for what Civ 4 should be like. So if you're not getting things you want via expansions, maybe you'll see them in Civ 4! So they have probably already done a considerable bit of R&D!

Good to know that Civ 4 is officially in the works! Although I still get plenty of mileage out of Civ 3 and its expansions, it is nice to know that if I were to ever tire of Civ 3, Civ 4 is just around the corner!

:goodjob:

Well, I hope they don't completely re-do the game. I like the way Civ3 works, and don't want a total revamp, such as the removal of health bars, and the replacing with the number of units left, or something like that. I really don't see a need for a new game, maybe just another expansion or two. Can someone give me a link to teh Civ4 thread, so I can make a sugeestion or two? I actually can't wait, I just hope they keep the style of the game.

I hope they take their time with this. i would much rather play a good Civ IV 2 years from now than one that needs patching right out of the box in 1 year or less. *cough* MoO3

Originally posted by Gogf
Also, I think it should include Israel!

I TOTALLY agree, even in a form as the Hebrews. They (either one) has an appropriate claim as much as the other civs to be in the game. Plus they won't repeat half the cities either. ;-)

What about the possibility of new civs to rise through the aras (possibly as a collection of cities...) with the average tech level, or slightly lower, in unoccupied areas?

Or possible rebellions of colonies (Civ 3 style) into a civ, or for that matter your presence on a distant colony rebelling while still undeveloped (I could be wrong, but colonial America wasn't as developed as the British Isle.

Bah! Where is Alpha centauri 2? Hopefully its one of those secret projects :). I love civ anyway this is damn good news :goodjob:

Originally posted by sela1s1son
How do I do that?

Type [URL =http://www.(insert url here) [/URL]

Or you can add a link by typeing Check out my (whatever)

Without any spaces...

Not a very good descirption, but oh well ;).

Hopefully, Civ4 will eventually come to the Macintosh. ;)

But heck, this is great. :) I can only hope for the game to get better.

....DANG that was a generic post.

I know what I want for civ4, Life simulated. Of course that pretty complicated to maybe a few or alot or trims to make it playable. There's so much that really happened that can't be done with civ like religion, civil wars and so many things that I couldn't list them all. Options to make less micromanagment or more would be good too.

I don't care if the gameplay goes to hell, as long as they make it all 3D. And add in some battle mechs.*

*Not true.**

**I wouldn't mind a mech or two though.

Top Bottom