Jeff Briggs confirms: Civ 4 currently in developement

Originally posted by Trabpukcip
PS: Ho! and one last thing. They should take a few things from SMAC such as the possibility to create new types of units.
Er. That happens to be the letdown for me that stopped me playing SMAC. :rolleyes:

The ability to create new units doesn't really sit well in a historically oriented game.

Focus on making combat, diplomacy and terrain better

Asmodean

Guys, FYI. Civilization 4 won't be out until 2006. Maybe 2005 Q4, but I doubt that.
I had a talk with a dev, so the info must be correct.

I agree SMAC has alot of good in it, but the unit work shop isn't one of 'em, the units it automade weren't too good, and making the units yourself was more of a hastle then anything else, not to mention ALL the upgrades and obsolete unit types. Also the unit designs being consistantly the same with different colors (armor) or a jet pack or what not made the units feel a tad little boring.

But, that was only one aspect of the game which can easily be left out of a SMAC sequal.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (a Brian Reynolds' Design)

BTW, I agree with some that want to keep the game turn based because then if its not, you won't have the "Just One More Turn Syndrome" which is very powerful. ;)

Once, I kept telling myself to get up, and I ended up getting up and finishing the game a half hour later because of it. :D

Well, this time is the real test. The shortcoming of the design on Civ3 could be blamed on the departure of Brian Reynolds, and many people said that the good fundations of Civ3 were his work.

Now, the actual team will have the creation from start to end. I hope they will actually don't play the "one step up, two step down" that made so much Alpha Centauri great ideas disappear (and I'm not talking about the workshop, but about the REAL good ideas : social engeenering, blind research, personnalities in AI, a realistic UN that have purpose and that is actually functionning, etc.).

It's up to them to make a Civ that will definitely be considered the best one ever. I hope they will :)

Originally posted by Akka
Well, this time is the real test. The shortcoming of the design on Civ3 could be blamed on the departure of Brian Reynolds, and many people said that the good fundations of Civ3 were his work.

Yeah...he left and created a worthless piece of junk like RoN. So I think we can safely rule out any worthwhile contributions to Civ 3 from him ;)

Seriously, though. Good as he may be, I think he is overrated. To think that other people can't have good ideas is just rubbish. I do also think, however, that the shortcomings of Civ 3 could be blamed on the fact that the dev. team had to restructure due to a large part of the team leaving.

Asmodean

It's really great that a new Civ-game is being made, although I'm still having lots of fun with CivIII. I just hope they take the time to make a great game.

Originally posted by Akka

I've heard that BR did the design for Civ3 and then left because his heart wasn't really in it. He wanted it to be a real time game.

Okay I want three things:

A spherical world

Louis XIV

And a decent earth map with accurate starting locations.

Hi folks!

As usual, glad to see all the interest and excitement. I consider myself spoiled to be able to start off marketing a new game with so many people talking about it. Sometimes gaming journalists complain that there are too many sequels out there. But is it any wonder, when games like Civilization have such a following?

A few things here, before we get ahead of ourselves. First of all, this wasn't even a product announcement, this was only a brief mention of the kind of irons Firaxis keeps in the fire. Sid Meier, Jeff Briggs, and their hardworking crew of artists, designers, and programmers, have built up a solid development studio with a strong track record and a wealth of experience. In a world where many development studios are startups struggling to make payroll, it's a luxury to work with a studio like Firaxis that's capable of running multiple product teams, shifting resources as necessary, to keep a steady stream of high quality games.

One of the reasons that Firaxis creates such amazing games is the aforementioned prototype phase. I'll tell you, it can play a bit of havoc with long-term planning, not knowing when a game will be ready! But it's instrumental to their creative process -- invent, and reinvent, and reinvent again, until everyone knows it's a winner. Only then do they go into production, and we (Atari) start to get into the loop.

Who would we be fooling if we said there would never be another Civ game! But suffice it to say there are currently no plans for any Civ sequels in 2004. Any other clarity on the release date for a sequel would definitely be premature. Please -- enjoy Civ 3, enjoy Civ Conquests, and while I'm sure the Firaxis folks appreciate the various suggestions being posted in Civ 4 threads, I cannot emphasize enough that it is early, early, early, and you'll likely not hear anything official about future Civ products for a long time.

In the meantime, we'll be focusing on Sid Meier's Pirates! and recreating a legendary game. We're currently expecting a Q4 2004 release, but anything's possible -- remember the whole prototype process? :) -- because we want to make sure to do this thing RIGHT. You'll begin to see more information about this game as early as January.

Happy holidays,
Jeff Foley
Atari

Thanks Jeff, that sounds real reassuring. Not that I doubted Firaxis or Atari, it's just that It's good to hear that kind of thing from an official source.

And really, really, please make them take their time. I don't know how much impact you have on that Jeff. But please, don't rush the game out . If there is going to be multiplayer and modability, include that from the start, and have it finished, Please! ;)

We CivFanatics will probably have fun with C3C for atleast another year or 2. :)

P.S. And please don't make any cutbacks on patches for C3C until it's really perfect ;)

Top Bottom