Jeff Briggs confirms: Civ 4 currently in developement

Originally posted by Padma
Thanks for the reminder and clarifications, Jeff!

I think we're fighting an uphill battle, though. ;) Once these "Civ Fanatics" get their minds set on something, it's hard to slow them down! They're already clamoring for a Civ4 Forum! :eek:

:lol:

Well, there is a reason it's call the CivFanaticsCenter!

Myself, I'm just glad it's been 'confirmed.' I'm more than happy to wait at least two years for it. I still haven't played Conquests yet. Seeing has how I've been playing PTW since it's been released (with the odd sabatical) I have plenty to occupy myself until C4 is released. Hey, there's a thought. . . C4 is pretty explosive. . .I wonder if that means Civ4 will be explosive too! ;)

Originally posted by Grey Fox
Thanks Jeff, that sounds real reassuring. Not that I doubted Firaxis or Atari, it's just that It's good to hear that kind of thing from an official source.

And really, really, please make them take their time. I don't know how much impact you have on that Jeff. But please, don't rush the game out . If there is going to be multiplayer and modability, include that from the start, and have it finished, Please! ;)

Thanks, Grey Fox. I think Atari & Firaxis learned a lot from the Play the World release, and I think you saw the impact of those lessons in the Civ Conquests release -- we are not afraid to delay a release on behalf of quality. Going forward, we have the advantage of continuity, since a lot of the same faces are working on these projects. While the reality is that there will always be some time pressure -- without it, most games would never be released at all! -- I can assure you that the team in place puts great emphasis on the quality of our releases, and Pirates! will be no exception.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

One thing I'd like to see is a more advanced AI. For example, when you create an alliance with a CIV and give them gifts, etc. it knows this and is more likely to keep future alliances down the road rather than turning on you when you advance.

I'd also like to see deeper uniqueness in each period. More variation with each CIV. Tech that allows future advances and more SCI-FI elements late late into the game.

Also, help us suspend disbelief. If countries advance to the modern era make ALL spearsmen/archers/warriors change to a BASIC unit. Maybe a low level CONSCRIPTION or GRUNT. I hate it that while my Modern Tanks beat there tanks and then I'm left killing Archers from 100's of years prior. These types of ridiculous elements should be modernized to keep the periods unique and consistent.

I agree with those who ask for more diplomatic options, more techs and greater edit capability.

I'd like to build helicopters that go at least a couple zones into the ocean. This type of unit that can traverse both land AND sea. (think hovercrafts)

just some thoughts...

Thanks for the more official word Jeff, I actually found it strange that the first anouncement of Civ4 was in an interview for Jeff Briggs.

I would have excepted something like the Dinosaur Egg introduction on Firaxis' site or something. :)

drewgood, A more advanced AI would be great but we all don't have a "Big Blue" computer sitting on our desk. Firaxis has to tune the AI to run on the average computer of today, while making it the best of those CPU cycles.

The other option is to come play with us MP Junkie's, I promise you won't be disappointed by our tactics and strategies :)

CS

Or leave it out totally. I wouldn't mind a purely SP game. Putiing MP in after the fact doesn't work that well. It really has to be designed in from the beginning.

Of course we knew that the game would not come out in 2004. That's okay. As long as we know they're working on it ;)

Jeff....your words are really reassuring, though. In a world, where too many titles are rushed out the door, it's good to know that Atari and Firaxis have learned their lesson, and know that quality must take presedence over quantity :)

Asmodean

Originally posted by Jeff_ATARI
glad to see all the interest and excitement...

More like depression and feeling cheated, speaking as a Mac User.

Originally posted by Civrules
BTW, I agree with some that want to keep the game turn based because then if its not, you won't have the "Just One More Turn Syndrome" which is very powerful. ;)

Once, I kept telling myself to get up, and I ended up getting up and finishing the game a half hour later because of it. :D
That's nothing. The worst fo that syndrome I've ever have I delay my bed time from 23h to 6h... :p

@Padma: Why is there no CIV4 forum?!? :confused:

Jeff, you and your folks have time: we are deitracted with C3C now ;)
Just do the thing right :)
And see ideas arround here and ask what you want :cool:

Now, back to C3C :D

Originally posted by archer_007
Even though I dont use multiplayer, it is clear that a great many of the players want it, so they should make it a key base engine component.
Important is:

- AI
- Diplomacy
- HOMM4 Graphics (moving scenario...)
- 64 CIV hard-code (at least)/40 included
- Battleship stats like (60/40/6) and all units reajustated to make more possible combinations in (A/D/M), and nore perfected
- Very Powerfull EDITOR
(SIMs included a face creator: Why not a unit creator in CIV4?)
- NO BUGs
:cool:

Originally posted by Portuguese

- 64 CIV hard-code (at least)/40 included
Why even have a hardcoded top-limit?

And people, please post your ideas and suggestions for Civ4 in the Official Civ4 ideas thread.

It's a sticky thread in the Civ3 - General Discussions forum.

I have not read the entire thread as I would rather be playing the game. So this idea may have been suggested. Please oh please scrap the current maps and move to a hexagonal mapping system. I believe this would be the greatest improvement in the game.

Top Bottom