Jesse Jackson Jr. Blames The iPad For Killing Jobs

Luddite.

Scared of structural change due to technology. I mean, he's right that technology eliminates jobs...but that's just how the market works. Jobs move when it's no longer efficient. Jackson is just peddling a protectionist line based on demagogy rather than economic prosperity.

Based on the little we hear him say here, it isn't really fair to call him a luddite. He is not advocating the destruction of iPads or the technology that produces them. He even he admits they are more efficient. Based on what he says here, he seems to simply be saying that new issues arise from these changes in technology and manufacturing and we must address them and learn to adapt or there is going to keep being a lot of unemployed people.

Perhaps if there were numerous blue-collar jobs that hadn't been sent to China or Malaysia this problem wouldn't be as severe.
Furthermore, not everyone is cut out for college whether the situation be financial for them or they lack the needed skills. Just as you have said not everyone can own a house, not everyone can go to college.

For those who lack the finances, there are various need-based and merit-based scholarships and I would be for creating more.

For those that just lack the ability, there really isn't much anyone can do. You don't have to be an engineer. There are other jobs in marketing, business admin, medicine, law, education and even many non-college jobs such as electrician, mechanic, mortician, trash-men(they actually get paid decently) that are highly in demand. You have to get some kind of training whether through school or apprenticeship, otherwise your basically worthless to society and no one can help you much on that.

In pre-historic times, it was a lot about survival of the most healthy and fittest, nowdays, its survival or better-off of those with intelligence and work ethic. Some people are always going to get weeded out or left behind, thats just how every system works.

Sure, I support some gleaning rights, but they have to be limited. Old jobs close and new jobs open up and people have to adapt.

Based on the little we hear him say here, it isn't really fair to call him a luddite. He is not advocating the destruction of iPads or the technology that produces them. He even he admits they are more efficient. Based on what he says here, he seems to be simply be saying that new issues arise from these changes in technology and manufacturing and we must address them and learn to adapt or there is going to keep being a lot of unemployed people.

Well, yeah, 'Luddite' is pretty strong. But it is a word I attempt to use whenever I get half a chance.

If his line is that adaptation is required, then I guess that's a good line. The video as posted by the OP though would seem to fit more into the anti-modernist category, not so much due to explicit condemnation of technology itself, but by implication.

Although I'm quite happy to believe that is not what he is saying, if that's the case.

For those who lack the finances, there are various need-based and merit-based scholarships and I would be for creating more.
Scholarships don't cover everything and do little to address strucural problems. For every 'look at what this person can do' story, there are thousands, if not millions of people who saw no need to do well in school because college was out of their sights financialy and they didn't have the grades to get merit scholarships or even get into colleges where they could get need scholarships. I have a couple friends who were like that and it is only due to the fact my school has the funds for an extensive guidance program that they didn't end up doing nothing after senior year and are instead going on to tech schools. For the people who don't go to as schools as nice as mine, what then? Tell them "Sorry, the non-white collar jobs you could have gotten are now in the Pacific Rim and we don't have enough cash to put you through training to get the necesary skills"?
Saying 'there are scholarships' is like saying to a gunshot victim 'there are bandages in the corner, fetch them'. Sure, it is useful in telling them they are over there and they can still utilize them, but it is far less effective then giving them the bandages.

For those that just lack the ability, there really isn't much anyone can do. You don't have to be an engineer. There are other jobs in marketing, business admin, medicine, law, education and even many non-college jobs such as electrician, mechanic, mortician, trash-men(they actually get paid decently) that are highly in demand. You have to get some kind of training whether through school or apprenticeship, otherwise your basically worthless to society and no one can help you much on that.
All of those jobs are either getting benefits slashed or are being hit hard by our transfer away from a production society.

Out of sight financially? Take on loans, get a job. All of these make college workable. Attend a community college and a state school. Use them as stepping stones and limit your debt. Judicious decisions regarding a college career will allow you to get a job, pay back your loans, and make way more money in the end.

Someone who doesn't go to college for purely financial reasons isn't making much of an effort to examine all of the options available to them, and cannot do simple financial analysis. It's shameful that we have people out there that perpetuate this kind of negativist mentality.

Now, not everyone is cut out for college, but there's an awful lot of vocational opportunities out there for those who are not cut out for rigorous academic study.

Also, paying people so they consume seems pretty silly to me. Why go to work when the government will just pay you to live comfortably?

Without watching the video somehow I feel the title of the thread is grossely taken out of context with what the guy meant.

Is it possible he is arguing that the Ipad in some way indirectly effects job growth in certain sectors? Maybe because it is manufactured overseas?

If thats the case thats old news with almost every product that is branded by an American company. It is all made over seas.

Without watching the video somehow I feel the title of the thread is grossely taken out of context with what the guy meant.

Is it possible he is arguing that the Ipad in some way indirectly effects job growth in certain sectors? Maybe because it is manufactured overseas?

If thats the case thats old news with almost every product that is branded by an American company. It is all made over seas.

The iPad was never anything more than an example of something that is made overseas and has a major effect on an industry, in this case book retailing. The product he used itself was irrelevant, because as you stated, there is countless things like this. So in other words, yeah he was taken out of context.

Ipads are expensive enough as it is. Do you really want them to cost 3 times as much?

Yes, because that will mean less people will have them. Ideally we want this to be zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5X8W7MgbhM

I'm speechless.

What does this guy know about the economy?

The car companies caused the buggy manufacturers to go out of business, so if you use Jesse Jackson Jr.'s logic, we should get rid of the car companies.

People buy stuff from Amazon so they don't have to go to various stores, so I guess that means we should get rid of the entire Internet!

It's sad when we have people in the government who actually think like this.
The car companies that got rid of the buggy companies created more jobs in America than were lost.

And as stated by Ajidica, there is more spin in your post than a whirling dervish. Your argument isn't even responding to what JJ Jr even said. I remember reading the headline a few days ago and thinking "I remember Jackson Jr. as being smart, something is amiss here." Lo and behold, something was amiss--the headline didn't match the statement.

Scholarships don't cover everything and do little to address strucural problems. For every 'look at what this person can do' story, there are thousands, if not millions of people who saw no need to do well in school because college was out of their sights financialy and they didn't have the grades to get merit scholarships or even get into colleges where they could get need scholarships. I have a couple friends who were like that and it is only due to the fact my school has the funds for an extensive guidance program that they didn't end up doing nothing after senior year and are instead going on to tech schools. For the people who don't go to as schools as nice as mine, what then? Tell them "Sorry, the non-white collar jobs you could have gotten are now in the Pacific Rim and we don't have enough cash to put you through training to get the necesary skills"?

No, American schools need to start beating it into Kids heads that "you should do well in school or your screwed in life" message. Tell it like it is, instead of of trying to be nice with this "there's a place for everyone" crap that our schools so want to do these days.

No, American schools need to start beating it into Kids heads that "you should do well in school or your screwed in life" message.
The people who would be swayed by that message aren't the ones who need it.

The people who would be swayed by that message aren't the ones who need it.

Schools don't try hard enough to teach it. Hell, they don't even try to teach it at all. They're soft and want everyone to feel like their special, no matter who they are. This, while true to a certain extent, does not help society any by teaching such things.

Can you think of any more irrelevant red herring instead of actually discussing the topic?

It isn't relevant in the least. Undocumented immigrants rarely take jobs that Americans actually want.

But my question was, which you have yet to answer:

You do realize that virtually all Republican congressmen have been harping about doing exactly that for years now, while actually doing just the opposite?

It isn't relevant in the least.
You can't possibly know that because I haven't been able to make the point yet. Answer the question and then, after reading my reply, decide if it was relevant or not.

But my question was, which you have yet to answer:
Why do you think I'd defend the GOP? Their populist goons are as bad as the Democrats' populist goons.

I already answered your question while you dodged mine. Do you think all incentives to keep jobs in the US and to encourage more good-paying manufacturing jobs are "make work", or not?

And no, I don't see any difference between your obviously partisan attacks and theirs. This is a non-story. It is an obvious strawman of his opinions.

Schools don't try hard enough to teach it. Hell, they don't even try to teach it at all. They're soft and want everyone to feel like their special, no matter who they are. This, while true to a certain extent, does not help society any by teaching such things.
Given that I actualy am in school right now, I would hazard a guess that I am a better judge of current career counseling then you are.

I already answered your question while you dodged mine. Do you think all incentives to keep jobs in the US and to encourage more good-paying manufacturing jobs are "make work", or not?

If they weren't outsources, they would have been automated. Forcing companies to hire people they wouldn't need would qualify as "make work". Outsourcing is cheaper than investing in robotics right now to automate everything but producing domestically may not be.

Given that I actualy am in school right now, I would hazard a guess that I am a better judge of current career counseling then you are.

I came out of the American school system just a few years ago, I know full well what its like and I've moved around several districts when I was in school. Schools in America are far more committed to protecting a kid's confidence and pride than they are about good advice when it comes to career guidance. I have many friends that teach in the school system, they generally aren't allowed to be harsh and frank when it comes to advising kids or they might get sued.

Schools haven't changed any in the few years I've been out in the way they counsel kids. What my teacher friends tell and what I saw when I was in school is pretty much the same thing. Its the whole mentality of the American school system that getting good grades are not important and you'll be okay without them is the problem.

Top Bottom