Jesuit Missionaries won't convert Native Villages

BCMac

Chieftain
Playing single player, Pilgrim Level
as England, Washington
New World, Huge map everything else Default.

Had no problems in first game when I got Jesuits from the Dock.

This game I got 3 Jesuits with T. Hooker in 1606.
Was unable to convert a Sioux village so then moved Jesuit to a Tupi village and again couldn't do it.
Conversion wasn't available as a command in either instance.

Is there a keystroke to convert if it doesn't show on the command menu?

Bringing Jesuit back to one of my Towns and changing specialty then back to missionary would just give me a normal (no 50% bonus) so seems to defeat the purpose of choosing T. Hooker when offered to an English player.

Any help would be appreciated as until I solve this problem I won't be continuing the Game as I might have to start over before choosing T.Hooker and reject him before continuing.

Thanks

If he is a colonist and not a missionary he cannot convert a village, so you do need to make sure he is a missionary. It is the same as taking tools off a hardy pioneer. He then becomes a colonist and can no longer build roads etc even though he is still a hardy pioneer.

No you shouldn't need to check them when they first appear.

I regularly accept Thomas Hooker as soon as he is available because I can't purchase Jesuit Missionaries in Europe and to get 3 at once for free early in the game is a real bonus, and I have never had any problem with them.

I checked back on my last game and when they appeared in New Amsterdam they were all bona fide missionaries. ie their description was unit - 'Jesuit Missionary', profession - 'Missionary'. I sent them out immediately and they all successfully created missions in native villages.

If you allow a missionary to enter a colony however, even briefly, his profession can change to colonist and then he can no longer establish a mission. It is easy enough to change the profession back to missionary though and they still function as experts so you are not losing 50%.

Tanks a ton.
Now I'll reap the benefits frequent saves and indicating awarded Leaders or other noteworthy events in the save name.

Namaste

Top Bottom