Jesus Effing Christ

ir8

Chieftain
OMFG when are we going to get a working xml editor???

I hear about how moddable this game is, and see all these interesting mods for download, but there isn't even a tutorial that doesn't assume you know EVERYTHING already.

All I want to do is:
1. Download a custom unit.
2. Choose the unit's stats.
3. Make the unit usable by only one civ.
4. Make the unit creatable in the game.

After about 3 hours of searching, I have found 2 tutorials that are either misleading or extremely difficult to understand (for example, one calls the Assets0.xml file "Art0.xml" which had me searching in vain for about 20 minutes).

This game is NOT as easily moddable as everyone claims. Only people who know everything about the game files (and who have experience programming) can accomplish anything with it, and the same can be said for hundreds of games before it.

Before you call a game "easily moddable" you should get Neverwinter Nights and crack open the toolset. It has several wizards for editing, placing, and programming in-game objects. Entire worlds can be constructed and scripted by novices. If someone has created a custom graphic, all you have to do is unpack one resource file, stick the thing in it, and save. Voila, you have modded the game without having to rewrite a half dozen files by hand.

I have to agree with you on this, would be nice, i tried and tried to do it also, to no vain answer. BUT you wrote in the WRONG forum to begin with, you needed this in the Creation & Customization forum, and thx for the question, would be nice to have a, plop plop fizz fizz, LOL

EDIT: Now i see you double posted, not right.
EDIT: DANG< TRIPLE posted.!

why don't you make one?

To put a new unit in the game you only have to edit 3 xml files, how hard is that? Most of the xml tag names are quite self explanitory. If you know how to use a text editor, the search function, and know how to read, you just have to use a little common sense on what things mean. I had never looked at a xml file before I got Civ4 and within a few hours I understood how it works. You may have to do a little reading, but dang it ain't that bad. They left out the editor so greater flexablity in moding is possible, if they had had a editor like 3 then we could only edit those few things.. like in 3.. but now in 4 the amount of things we can mod is almost limitless.

More room to mod is way more importent then making it super easy to mod just a few things, so maybe instead of posting the same complaining post in different threads, you should spend that time looking through the xml files and learning what they do.

O and since I forgot in my first post, this is the wrong forum. This forum is only for completed Tutorials and Guides. Please keep questions, complaints, and general stuff in the main Creation and Customization forum.

Top Bottom