1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by JFD, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Bergerperson

Bergerperson An actual Canadian

No, no, no. Don't do de Gaulle, he was barley a leader, he was instead of a nuisance to the Allies. In terms of participation, de Gaulle was no more than a lieutenant for the Allies. Under his leadership, the Free French wasted resources taking islands of no importance and islands the Allies had no need to take without even informing Allied command of this.

De Gaulle was such a good leader (/Sarcasm) that one of the Free French Navy's leader turned their coat when they were told to take that little island under Newfound Land. I think Franco would be a better choice to make in the World War 2 leaders because he actually helped (Covertly that is) one side in the war that actually aided said side. I would even welcome seeing the Chinese Republic as a major leader because they tied up the Japanese from committing forces in the rest of the Pacific Theatre.

If a World War 2 French civilization must be made, make the Paris Freedom Fighters or the Vichy Government instead of de Gaulle the Fraud.

PS: JFD, I tested your Tojo civilization out, I'm not sure if it was something in the download itself but I didn't see the Yamamoto graphics.

2. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Another reason for the "WW2" France having its focus switched from strictly De Gaulle's Free French to the broader Third French Republic, with hints to World War 1, which saw a meaningful French performance.

I still wonder if Poincare/Clemenceau would be viable leaders for such civ, although De Gaulle is a much more marketable one, and was featured officially in Civ 4.

3. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

No pressure, but I've done all I can do for the time being.

It would lose my interest deeply.

The graphics were working when I tested it, but I can double-check. Perhaps I hadn't checked Reload Unit System, but had another mod enabled during my tests that had.

I'm not really working on WWII leaders - that was ages ago. Leugi just gave the opportunity to finish off the main powers. So I really don't see myself doing a Franco mod.

4. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Yeah, mine too. Despite De Gaulle's shortcomings, he remains a vibrant figure to this day. Unlike, sadly, both WW1 leaders.

5. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Nope, working on my end.

6. BttLsht

BttLsht King

I receive a message that I gained x amount of science upon defeating a naval unit while not playing Tojo but having him enabled however I am not sure if I truly receive the science.

Everybody speaking about HRE and Norway but what I want to hear about is Genoa. :)

7. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

I'll fix that now, thanks.

I'm anticipating Genoa to be included in the next expansion, given that it's featuring health. Genoa will get a bonus at spreading plagues to other civs :lol: Translation: Don't hold out for Genoa too much :(

8. TheD3rp

TheD3rp Lowly Footsoldier

Yes, de Gaulle was such a horrible leader that while the British turned tail and ran back to El Alamein, the Free French, with a force of only 3,700 men, managed to hold back Rommel's 37,000 men for 11 days in the middle of the desert, allowing Britain to regrow it's balls and win the First Battle of El Alamein.

9. Hiram

Hiram XML Plebian

Next expansion? Wha?!

10. lp_04

lp_04 Prince

What?? What next expansion with health?

11. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

12. lp_04

lp_04 Prince

I just thought it would be a great idea that you and your great teammates with other works here on civfanatics could do... You have the skills people, just sit together and release a full expasion firaxis like (like I have seen before here... projects that never passed the paper) with all the taste of a third official expansion.

Im talking to all the great modders here. You all have the skills to create something that, in my oppinion, civ V needs: a mod like an official expansion.

NOT :sarcasm: :goodjob:

13. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Who says we're not? :mischief:

14. azzedar

azzedar Warlord

Hm...
    I've got to say, I'm not very happy with Tojo/Japan. They seem a bit weak to me (actually i like the Dojo to Nobunaga most).

Their UA is very, very situational. The first part can help 'mending' and improving a conquered territory fast, while the second has rarely has given me much advantage. I guess you have to destroy a lot of ships, starting a global war or sth. (pun intended), to feel a difference.

I'm not sure about the Yamato, yet. Got to test it some more. Maybe it's obvious strength makes up for the zero and the rest of it.

Given the fact, that Tojo's Japan was mostly a conquering/invading force, the aggressive focus seems right. Yet, I'm not sure the UA 'completely' reflects the actual historical background. I understand the idea behind the first part of it - speaking of the pacific war, which was for japan mostly a thing about imperialism/territorial gains and resources.
    One idea: add to their naval forces the ability to ignore unhappiness from conquering if possible, maybe at the cost of bigger population loss when capturing cities, reflecting the way they treated the especially the Chinese cities during the war, as the Japanese rule was strict and devastating.
    In terms of balance that would be another situational (and small?) bonus.
    Another idea for this or a different Civ: strategic and luxury resources in conquered cities give double the amount but add to global unhappiness (like +1 :mad: for each city).

(for the difficulty - I'm playing on 'king' most of the time)
    (and nevertheless: like all of your mods it's really good work!)

/edit: Another idea that just came to my mind:
    conquering a city (or: a coastal city) improves all nearby strategic resources/repairs them if the improvement was pillaged.

15. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

JFD, any chance you will add a Turkish bath UB to your Turkey revision? It can be garden\Zoo replacement.

16. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

So, since everyone is asking for progress on civs, I thought maybe I could do so as well.

How's progress on the Teutonic Knights?

PS: Love all the new civs and revisions, keep up the great work!

17. BttLsht

BttLsht King

Oh right Teutonic Knights split off from Prussia after their last major update although its replacement the all black wearing totenkopf cavalry is the most badass looking unit I saw in awhile.

Oh yeah got carried away, Teutonic Knights? my guess will be it will be released with JFD's project P&P.

18. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

This is really good feedback, thank you. I'll deliberate on what you've said. I did originally plan to have Naval garrisons temper the extra unhappiness from Puppets, but couldn't get it to work. I'll try to find another avenue by which to achieve the same effect, I think. The science balance is a volatile game, too; so perhaps you simply do not get enough from naval victories.

I don't think it's necessary - the civ is still conquest orientated, and having two UUs enables that better. Plus, I wouldn't know which unit to give up :)

No progress on them. I don't like to start civ mods unless I have the art for them, and there's a long backorder for art at the moment :) Plus, I should be working on finishing P&P.

P&P won't come up with civ release, but certainly it'll include some system-tied adjustments to some of my modded civs.

19. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

But I like the Sipahis. :sad:

20. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

That can be a janissary replacement....