1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by JFD, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Fedatur

Fedatur Warlord

Can colonies become regular cities of empire, maybe after some building or point of development losing their buildings and benefits? Because, you know, it wuild be strange if for examlpe Russia on TSL earth map would establish only colonies in far east (Khabarovsk, Vladiostok is really far from Moscow, but tey wasn't colonies)

2. TheLohoped

TheLohoped Known today as TLPD-AVW

I just noticed that Roosevelt's FLAVOR_NUKE and FLAVOR_USE_NUKE are both set to 12! :D

Incredible! Absolutely incredible! :clap:

3. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Question, if Immigrant Colonies are ever referenced like, say, this one or this one, would they count as colonies of the original countries (IE Italian, Welsh) or from the receiving country (Chile, Argentina).

4. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

"The people of the united states of America welcome you."
    Not really...:p
    (That's kinda ironic, considering he never nuked... anything.)

5. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

Roosevelt is supposed to cover the 20th Century, since IIRC he doesn't plan on making any more presidents, so those flavors reflect Truman's bombings. It's also why one of his events covers the Bonus Army, which occurred under Hoover's administration.

6. SuperWaffle247

SuperWaffle247 Secretary General

Yeah, as someone who's studied the US presidency FDR is a great choice to represent the 20th Century US. While JFK and Reagan would have very interesting UAs, potentially, I think it'd be too many America civs.

The colonies mechanic looks brilliant. I really wish you and CL weren't in competition on this one...it's so hard to decide!
    Question: Does the radius that determines if a colony is built instead of a city grow over time? This would make sense to me.

With this, and P&P, and E&D, and some of the other gameplay mods Civ 5 is quickly becoming by far the richest Civ experience. All that remains for me would be Civ BE espionage (which i believe is impossible?) and some structures that simulate the world of nation-states established in the late-late game (more ideology mechanics, diplo stuff, cold wars, better revolutions). I'm so excited for everything, and praying Civ 6 doesn't come out.

7. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

The irony is, that firaxis would probably think about those mechanics themselves... only they want the game to be "modable"...

8. TheD3rp

TheD3rp Lowly Footsoldier

Are there any plans on adding Natives to ExCE?

9. Civitar

Civitar Adventurer

Fortunately, I think CivBE has delayed Civ6 by a couple of years at least.

10. hewkii9

hewkii9 Chieftain

I believe a good way to simulate this would be to have colony status determined by distance from another owned city. That way, England could build a city on the other side of the world and make a colony, and Russia could build Vladivostok right next to Khabarovsk and make an owned city.

11. cairnsy44

cairnsy44 Gooner - first class

Seriously giddy with anticipation...really cool.

12. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

I want this mod now. Can I have it pls?

Do the Colonies have any effect of research costs?

As a side note I've thrown in a bunch of easter eggs in the list of colony names. Have fun founding Winterfell, Caemlyn and Ankh-Morpork (There are more to discover BTW)!

13. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Such a mechanic would seem to be counterintuitive; it would make sense that, the more advanced in technology, the more able a government becomes to managing far-flung cities, so by that reasoning the radius would grow over time. Yet, it was at the height of the Renaissance/Industrial Era that colonies were established.

I've added a few "Landmarks" - which are basically mini-natural-but-not-natural wonders - which include a few tribal encampments to imply cultures that are technologically stagnant, but there's nothing more complex than that. Designating a civ as a native is sort of pointless in this game, seeing as all players start at the beginning of time and are hence all native.

No, colonies don't become regular cities. I would consider cities like Vladivostok to be colonies in a simplistic enough sense that fits with the game; too far for the administrative center in Moscow to have any real government on what's going on down there, but still identifying with that government. The mechanic would also add an unnecessary complexity, and render the purpose of colonies as both a facilitator and a caveat to establishing large empires pseudo-obsolete.

Oh! I founded Morpork when I was testing :lol:

Colonies do still effect research costs. That part's hardcoded. As always :p

14. JimBobV

JimBobV Warlord

Wow. I need that. I need that now. I can't wait for the release so I can channel my inner European and slaughter innocent natives, replacing their modest villages with towering cities built on only the finest burial grounds.

Jokes aside, I've discovered a bug with your Carthage split. The "Consult the Four hundred"(I think that's what it's called but in case I got it wrong its just the one that adds extra movement and sight to the shophet) decision will appear to be enactable once you've met the required conditions however is impossible to enact as it will not let you enact it. I've reloaded and tried loading a new game but whatever the conditions it simply won't let you no matter how many times you click enact.

Also it seems there's some guy on the steam workshop that's been ripping assets directly from your civilization's without your permission who goes by the name mikeburnfire. I'm not sure if you've given him permission, but he's been taking individual buildings like the cothon and steel mill and making them into separate mods.

15. sukritact

lol, the gloriously filthy city of Ankh-Morpork, with the rivers so polluted you can walk on them.

Spoiler :

I threw in a whole ridiculous amount of easter eggs: from Wheel of Time, ASoIaF, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, The Last Airbender, Discworld, etc. The Germanic Civs have a ridiculous amount.

Oh, I forgot to ask, do conquered cities become colonies?

16. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

*Nervous thanks*

Will look into it. Thanks.

Heh, well, it's just the art, over which I have no claim, so he doesn't need my permission, nor would the lack of it be effective (the Steel Mill is a vanilla asset, and the Cothon was done by Wodhann, who is no longer active). I appreciate the support though :)

No, just ones you settle yourself. It is presumed that, when you conquer a city that is so far that it would have otherwise become a colony, you'll install a much stronger prescence there (i.e. a courthouse, or it becomes a puppet, which is effectively a much more autonomous colony anyway). I'm considering extending the loyalty mechanic to puppets as well, however.

17. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

I don't know, I don't think it's that counter-intuitive. If you look at the early Greek and Phoenician colonies, they were just across the Mediterranean from their homeland, probably only a couple of kilometres. By the time the Enlightenment Era rolled around, colonies were thousands of kilometres away from their homeland and on entirely different continents, which is a whole different ballgame to the early colonies. And now, in the modern era, whether due to political-correctness or whatever, even the overseas holdings of countries aren't referred to as colonies (although that's more of a semantic change than an actual political one, AIUI)

Although, given there's no way to incorporate colonies into the empire that may prove annoying, if you send an early colony out to gain control of a natural wonder only for your later expansion to have normal cities surrounding the colony.

18. sukritact

I do sorta wish there was a way to incorporate Colonies into the empire. If you develop a strong enough presence in a region it stands to reason that you should be able to integrate Colonies as regular cities.

19. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

If someone can find me a historical precedence (I sincerely don't know, rather than to try and make a point; but I can't think of one. Like Pouakai said, it's just semantics. French Departments are colonies, dammit. Although Crown Dependencies, I suppose, work on a politically-hypothetical level), then sure, I'll consider it. Other than that, I don't see a gameplay point to it (there could be, though). I guess we'll see on release :p It was an original plan, anyway.

20. sukritact

Does Hawaii count? It is a regular state now, isn't it?