1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by JFD, Sep 2, 2012.

1. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

It's a Soviet Union being founded in 4000BC, I think the icon argument is a bit invalid here.

The UB comes early enough to become worthwhile quicker than most late UBs, and replaces the proper building thematically. Gameplay-wise, it works very well in my opinion.

2. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Personally I have the extremely nitpicky issue with UA name: Warsaw Pact. I mean, it would rather suit Brezhnev or Khrushchev (...I hate English translations of Slavic names and feel sorry for non - Slavic people forced to pronounce that :D ) not Stalin - during Stalin's lifetime Warsaw Pact didn't exist.
    Personally I would choose the name of UA which fits Stalin's theme:
    - The Great Patriotic War (by the way, this fits the entire 'receive damage when on Stalin lands)
    - World Revolution (or something epic like that, fits the entire city states/allies theme)

- something fitting the general theme of Stalin's rule as... Uhm... The Great Ucrainian Famine... The Great Purge... The Great Terror... The catastrophic 1941... The Ribbentrop - Molotov Pact... Cooperation with Hitler... Gulags... Creating the worst, most awful, pathological and terrifying state in the history of all mankind... Well yeah :lol:
    I am really confused about portayal of evil leaders in Civ5. I mean, mods with Stalin, Hitler, Mao, Pol Pot, Osama or stuff like that are always awesome but there is this big dilemma whether evil monster should be portrayed as evil monster (realistic and moral) or as typical Civ5 Great Leader (o great Uncle Stalin, we praise you - fits the general aestethics and this cute propaganda theme).
    My favourite solution would be something like: Dawn of Man text praising the Great Leader while the UA name is creepy and contrasted with text, like 'Red Death' :lol: 'Great Terror' 'Great Tyranny' or something like that :p

3. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

I'd rather take the leader for their accomplishments for the civ, rather than any morally wretched actions taken by them. What is fitting the theme of Stalin's rule is his invasion of Eastern Europe to defeat Hitler, but then never leaving, and installing puppet governments throughout to maintain a grounded presence. This is what I'm getting at with the UA.

As for the UA name, please see: Elizabeth's Sun Never Sets, Napoleon's Ancien Regime, Bismark's Furor Teutonicus, Ethiopia's Spirit of Adwa, etc. UA names that have very little to do with the leader (some woefully inappropriate), but are more specific to the civ. Stalin's actions made the Warsaw Pact what it is, so though he precedes it, it owes a great deal to his actions in EE.

4. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

Swedish? I thought they were an Englishman and a Norwegian based in California. Great music, though. Anyway, have you looked at The Sacred War for Stalin? It's an impressive piece (not that the CoD song is bad for war, not at all).

5. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

6. TercerImperio

TercerImperio Chieftain

Prussia is an absolute masterpiece.

7. regalman

regalman Reckless Dolphin

How's progress on Genoa and the Teutonic Knights( and China). One gets quite impatient waiting for the highest quality of diamonds.

8. SuperWaffle247

SuperWaffle247 Secretary General

With Stalin, if you gift a unit to a CS that you trade with and have a Comisarriat with you instantly get a copy of your gifted unit. Is this intended?

This happened when I gifted a unit when it was in the CS' territory.

9. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

You'll have to wait patiently, I'm afraid, as Genoa, the Teutonic Order and the Chinese Dynasties are not even in development just yet.

No, that's not intentional. I'll see if I can't find a fix. Thanks for pointing it out.

10. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Lincoln added:

Lincoln - The United States of America (BNW) Download Subscribe

Spoiler :

The United States of America - Lincoln
    Credits:

JFD - Author
    Janboruta - Artwork (Composed the final version of the leaderscene; original Lincoln artwork taken form the Civil War scenario, Map)
    Viregel - Artwork (Composed the base of the leaderscene)
    Sukritact - Offered advise to Viregel on the composition of the leaderscene.
    Unit art and graphics taken from the Civil War scenario in Brave New World.
    Peace Theme - Michael Curran and Geoff Knorr Civil War Scenario Main Theme.
    War Theme - Michael Kamen When Johnny Comes Marching Home..

Includes internal support for: Tomatekh's Historical Religions Mod, Ethnic Units, Gedemon's YnAEMP.

*Gold Buildings are Seaports, Harbours, Banks, Stock Exchanges, Mints, Caravansaries and Markets. The UA will get you through most of the production, but you'll need to authorise the final turn.
    **Like with Napoleon, the wartime bonus prompt will only come up if you're not already at war, and will end once war with the civ that prompted the war is over.

Janboruta should be especially thanked for doing the leaderscene and map, and adjusting the leader icon, as with Viregel for creating the basis upon which the final leaderscene was built. Also, Sukritact for guiding Viregel along the way :)

11. SuperWaffle247

I'm pretty sure gifting units that way isn't the "right" way to gift units to CSs - I haven't tried using the CS screen yet.

12. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

It wouldn't have made a difference. Anyway, I updated the mod to fix this exploit, so update the next time you aren't in the middle of a game with Stalin; to be sure the update doesn't break your save.

13. regalman

regalman Reckless Dolphin

any chance of adding the confederate states later on?

The Lincoln seems awesome, especially the leader icon

14. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

:thumbsup: Definitely better than the current 'Murican Empire. Might I ask though... what does "Cities construct gold buildings automatically" mean, exactly? You get a production boost?

And might I suggest one last 'murican split? (Being an American I feel somewhat obliged to spell it like that) The US under Franklin Roosevelt. UA could be called "The New Deal" and UUs would be the M4 Sherman Tank and the B2 Bomber. I guess you'd need to come up with a new UC2 for the default America... since it's Washington, the best I can think of right now is Valley Forge as an armory replacement.

15. SuperWaffle247

Thanks.

Lincoln looks so cool. I really try not to have multiple leaders per Civ...I'll do the Soviets and the Nazis but not Peter in addition to Catherine. I just don't like having multiple leaders only for certain civs. At the same time...this one looks really cool. Can't wait to see what happens with FDR>

16. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Doubt it. I don't really want to start doing non-sovereign civilizations and Jefferson Davis is not really all that interesting to me.

I have been in some modest discussion about moving the Bomber over the Roosevelt, yes. The Valley Forge might be a good idea; I'll keep it noted, as I hadn't come up with a replacement for him yet. Thanks.

As for the UA, basically it means that whilst your cities are producing other things (units or non-gold buildings), your city will simultaneously be building any available gold buildings (you still need to meet the prereqs, of course). You can still build them yourself, but the idea is to let the fat-cat capitalists do it for you, whilst you concentrate on other matters.

EDIT: Oops, I glossed over that you were requesting Roosevelt! You know I do have one already (albeit outdated, and not up to my current standard): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=89231217

You can always just disable Catherine/Washington/Napoleon(?)

17. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Where's my pretend cigar. I need to get my hands on that UA, this one isn't something I expected. :) Looking good, going to try it out.

18. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

19. SuperWaffle247

I'm strongly considering it for Washington. He's got one of the duller civs at the moment.

20. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Fat-cat capitalists, well, that's pretty much the US in a nutshell. :lol:
    Well, if you could update the Roosevelt mod (and maybe add the M4) and add it to the front page it would probably be the best version of America ever made for the game. (Right now it's probably the Lincoln one you just made)

Also, I think it would be fun to have the T34 as an alternate UU for Russia under Stalin. Just think... a wide open plain, with a huge, past-paced and chaotic battle due to the whole area being flooded with Panzers, M4 Shermans and T34s. Perfect for a WWII scenario! (Then I'd probably add in the Renault FT just for the heck of it :lol:)

Lastly... I like the way you've laid out your front page. I may have to steal your design. :mischief: (I'm convinced now that Good Promotional Graphics + Good Front Page Layout + Good Front Page Graphics = Lots of Downloads)