1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JFD and Janboruta's Civilisations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by JFD, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

I've still not quite grasped what the first part of the UA does. Please could you explain? (I have a feeling it should be really obvious, but it would be too mainstream to work it out.)

2. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

After one more Russian civ... (perhaps I have a problem); then I'll be work on updating Roosevelt.

When you enter a state of war against another major civ (without being at war yourself), you get a popup asking you to "address the nation" and choose a bonus that will help you in the war effort. For instance, one option is to "Call for Mobilization" which increases Military Unit production. They're simple bonuses, but hopefully effective. AI Lincoln gets a random one.

It took me some time to find a format that I was comfortable with (as evidence by one post down). I'm glad you like it; so by all means, "steal" away.

I'll give it some thought; though as a complete replacement to the Levy. It'll still have the same unique attributes, however.

3. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I'd go with a T-55, as the default icon and model for vanilla Tank available to all civs is already a T-34-85.

4. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

5. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

Vanilla civ uses the rightmost T-34 here, albeit with a generic texture. Using a different T-34 from that picture would be downgrading the unit to a sub-par one (earlier T-34s were pretty lousy to say the least, and nowhere near superior to German tanks in 1941, which claim is unfortuantely well established). Actually, the KV-1 or JS-2 would be a very nice World War 2-themed UU for Stalin (leaning towards JS-2 though). T-55 is more Cold War-ey and was the most mass-produced tank in history (there should be a model for that one too).

6. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Though tanks as a whole weren't particularly effective in the Cold War, now were they? ;)

Maybe for putting down independence movements across the USSR, but other than that, it doesn't seem to have really seen very much conflict - at least, not in Russia. Compare it with the T34, pretty much the primary Soviet battle tank in WWII.

7. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

8. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

That's why I'm leaning towards a JS-2 here, which is the embodiment of Soviet armoured rolling thunder. It's way more unique than a T-34 as well.

Edit: in that image there is a JS-2 model... :) (yeah, J and I are interchangeable, as they both contribute to the name of either Joseph or Iosif Stalin)

9. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

This is what good ol' Wikipedia has to say about all of them, with key points bolded:
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

These excerpts all are all from the opening paragraphs of their respective pages. They all make persuasive arguments, though I would like to point out:
    Spoiler :

Spoiler :

So I'm sticking with the T34 as the best Soviet tank.

10. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Oh, I didn't know they are named after him. Some ego! Okay, I'll go with the JS-2 then.

@AggressiveWimp Jan's overall point in not going with the T-34 is because that is basically what the vanilla Tank is; so it's not really an argument as to which breed of tank is superior. Of course, I don't really know what I'm talking about :)

11. GraxRabble

GraxRabble Chieftain

I found a typo within the Stalin mod which causes "missing UnitFlagLevyAtlas_32.dds" to popup.

Art/ArtDefines.sql:53
    Code:
    ('JFD_STALIN_LEVY_FLAG_ART_ATLAS', 32, 'UnitFlagLevyAtlas_32.dds', 1, 1)
    I believe you meant this instead:
    Code:
    ('JFD_STALIN_LEVY_FLAG_ART_ATLAS', 32, 'UnitFlagSovietLevyAtlas_32.dds', 1, 1)
    Nice to see this thread active.

12. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

13. Maguyver

Maguyver Chieftain

Hi JFD, obviously you've done a lot of work bringing WWII Civs to the game but there's still a big one missing. Do you have any plans or interest in doing a Hirohito/Japan Civ? It always feels a bit weird playing a campaign with Roosevelt, Churchill, Mussolini, Stalin, Hitler, and... Nobunaga... :lol:

14. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

I think you're forgetting Charles de Gaulle, too, which is definitely planned.

On the Japanese front, I'm still very uncertain. I cannot decide upon the leader, to begin with. On the one hand, I don't want to deprive Hirohito of his sovereignty, but on the other hand it is Tito that is more ready to accept the villainous portrayal an Imperial Japan would inevitably get from a western audience.

15. AW Arcaeca

AW Arcaeca Deus Vult

Well, the Zero obviously has to be one of its UUs, the second... some destroyer or aircraft carrier, probably. I would probably make the leader Hideki Tojo rather than Hirohito, since he pretty much held all the power.
    (And this should be the symbol)
    EDIT: How about the Yamato-class battleship? Heaviest and most powerfully armed warship ever built... ever. Except for none of them survived WWII, which kinda puts a damper on things.

The problem is now what old Japan's UC2 should be. Daimyo, perhaps? I dunno... :dunno:

Then the Renault FT definitely needs to be one of their UUs.

16. Maguyver

Maguyver Chieftain

For crying out loud, I just glossed over FRANCE. :lol:

Well, I can understand your hesitance with Japan. The same could be said of America in a way; after all it was Truman that ordered the use of the atomic bombs which forced Japan to surrender.

Anyway, thanks for Lincoln!

17. Maguyver

Maguyver Chieftain

Perhaps Whoward would be willing to lend his Dojo mod to that effort. That's what I would use, it also seems to fit Oda much better.

Also, and I know that this is the flag of the emperor and not the country itself, I like this a whole lot:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/Flag_of_the_Japanese_Emperor.svg

18. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Sure, but at least in the American case you can fall back on the argument that both were using the power of the constitution to do what they did. It's not the same, politically, for Japan, and that's very important to my decision of what leader would suit best. In any case, too many other things to think about before that anyway.

I'm sure there is a much better place for the Chrysanthemum throne than for Hirohito ;)

Glad you said it, as I would've had no idea.

19. SuperWaffle247

SuperWaffle247 Secretary General

Do I smell Meiji Japan? Also, de Gaulle - does he involve the Resistance somehow? That might be fun.

20. JFD

JFD Kathigitarkh

Just fixed a fairly serious flaw in the code for the second half of the UA, so if you used the manual download, please re-download. Sorry about that - I had put to much trust in Firaxis' code :)

I also nerfed the first wartime bonus down to a 15% attack bonus, and ensured that it is removed after peace ensues.

I sincerely expect so. Although it'll be difficult to come up with something that isn't useless without the player losing badly, but still along those lines. It's not something I'm actively thinking about just yet; just something in the back of my mind. Same with Meiji.