JFD's Civilizations - Japan (Tojo) for Vox Populi

JFD's Civilizations - Japan (Tojo) for Vox Populi (v 9)

About the AI, perhaps it has something to do with Tojo's flavours. FLAVOR_NUKE and FLAVOR_USE_NUKE are set to 2 (out of 10). The not building high end units part sounds like a general AI quirk though.

In my tests, the Tojo AI does consistently well. In previous versions with 3 production 0 science coastal buildings, they always snowballed.

What I considered doing is removing the coastal buildings bonus completely. However, given that the bonus is so low at the moment, I doubt it has that much impact.

The culprit is probably the conquest science. I could nerf that, but it may then not feel rewarding to the human player. At the moment it is roughly comparable to Assyria's science when conquering if no valid tech.

About the AI, perhaps it has something to do with Tojo's flavours. FLAVOR_NUKE and FLAVOR_USE_NUKE are set to 2 (out of 10). The not building high end units part sounds like a general AI quirk though.
Why is it so low? The most peaceful civs has it set to 3. If Tojo is supposed to be conqueror, it should have set it to 9, like other conquerors. Sources:
Community-Patch-DLL\Community Balance Patch\Balance Changes\AI\Flavors\LeaderFlavors.sql
Community-Patch-DLL\Community Balance Patch\Balance Changes\AI\Diplomacy\LeaderPersonalities.sql

Also FLAVOR_MILITARY_TRAINING and FLAVOR_PRODUCTION might be too little. Tojo has both at 5, while other conquerors have it at 8.

In my tests, the Tojo AI does consistently well. In previous versions with 3 production 0 science coastal buildings, they always snowballed.

What I considered doing is removing the coastal buildings bonus completely. However, given that the bonus is so low at the moment, I doubt it has that much impact.

The culprit is probably the conquest science. I could nerf that, but it may then not feel rewarding to the human player. At the moment it is roughly comparable to Assyria's science when conquering if no valid tech.
It might be too much science with Dojo. How about culture gain on conquest? It would be more distinguishable from Assyria.

Why is it so low? The most peaceful...
I'm using JFD's values. I think his reasoning there might be that Japan got nuked in reality, so Tojo here does not like nukes. I could increase it.

It might be too much science with Dojo. How about culture gain on conquest? It would be more distinguishable from Assyria.
I'm mostly following JFD's original intention for the civ. I also feel that science fits a bit better for that era's Japan.

I'm using JFD's values. I think his reasoning there might be that Japan got nuked in reality, so Tojo here does not like nukes. I could increase it.
Actually, it was Tojo who ordered development of nuclear weapons: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_nuclear_weapon_program
and Japan was nuked a year after Tojo's resignation from Prime Minister position. So producing and using nukes might be more fitting for him than other conquerors :)
Would you also increase FLAVOR_MILITARY_TRAINING and FLAVOR_PRODUCTION so his UB and UA is better used?

I'm mostly following JFD's original intention for the civ. I also feel that science fits a bit better for that era's Japan.
Ok, like you said, nerf to science on conquest might be appropriate.

Alright, I'll tweak the flavours for the next version. As for balance, let's allow it to sink in a bit before changing anything.

I can't find Tojo in the civ selection screen, even with the latest version of VP, any idea what could cause this?

Additional mods I have over base VP are: Advancing Worker, Barbarians - Unlimited Exp, Coasts and Rivers yield gold again, Wonders expanded for VP, Enlightenment era for VP, More unique components for VP, and of course The empire of Japan - Tojo for VP.

Had some ideas on the UBs, to replace the Dojo and Kabuki (3UC).

For the 1st UB, use the Imperial Shrine (2nd UB) from Meiji.

Spoiler :
Imperial Shrine (UB) (replaces Circus)

• +3 :c5culture: Culture, +2 :c5faith: Faith (instead of none).
  • Increases the :c5war: Military Unit Supply Cap by 1.
  • All military units trained in the City receive the Emperor's Will Promotion (Increased :c5strength: Combat Strength based on unit damage (Tenacity). +10 HP if you destroy an enemy unit.). Granted to all combat units.
  • 2 slots for :greatwork: Great Works of Art or Artifact. +5 :c5culture: Culture and :c5goldenage: Golden Age Points if Themed. Fill both slots with Art or Artifact created by you to gain the bonus.
  • Unlocks at Theology instead of Physics.

For the 2nd UB, a Courthouse replacement, to be named Governor General's Office, or in Japanese Sōtoku-fu. Bonuses would be a selection of:
  • 1 copy of each strategic resource.
  • Increase internal TR yields which originate from the city.
  • +2 production to all Factories, Seaports, and Train Stations.

This is to reference one of the main goals of Japan in WWII, which is to access resources.

Seems like a cool idea. More fitting than the Kabuki theater for sure. The Dojo definitely hearkens back to a very different ethos of Japanese military might, so the imperial shrine might be a better fit. The Tech spread is about the same, except a medieval building is changed for a classical one then.

Using only the base VP, the shrine is further back than the dojo, so it's a lot longer playing with only the UA, but it's still comparable to Sweden

Last edited:
I actually try to use the imperial shrine on Tojo(it sounded like a better synergy,) but the result was : JUGGERNAUT Tojo, UA + imperial shrine on sea make him the god of the ocean, you can't beat him since not only he has +20% combat strength when attacking, but with "Emperor's Will" ships hit even stronger when they are wounded.

i ended modifying the promotion imperial shrine:
naval : (Tenacity). +10 HP if you destroy an enemy unit.
land : Emperor's Will Promotion (Increased :c5strength: Combat Strength based on unit damage (Tenacity). +10 HP if you destroy an enemy unit.).

HungryForFood updated JFD's The Empire of Japan (Tojo) for VP with a new update entry:

v 9

UA: Empire of the Pacific
- Naval unit attack bonus removed.
- Instant yield now triggers when obtaining tiles due to ruins (fixed in 25/11 DLL).
- Instant yield decreased from 30/45 for acquiring water tiles from neutral/other civilizations, to 30/30.

UB: Dojo (replaces Armory)
- No longer the UB.
- Promotion no longer granted to naval melee units.

UB: Imperial Shrine (replaces Circus)
- Same as Meiji's 2nd UB.
- +3 Culture, +2 Faith (compared to no yields for Circus).
- All units from...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Key highlights:
  1. UA nerfed - no more attack bonus (due to addition of Imperial Shrine promotion), (too much snowball from human players) science from conquering now same as when settling.
  2. Imperial Shrine now the UB.
  3. 4UC UB now Governor's Office.

I noticed it says you get yields from tile claims from ruins, and that this has existed for a while? What is the table called? I can't find it in CoreTableAdditions, though I wonder if it has been rolled into Trait_YieldFromTileEarnTerrainType?

Is it intended i can construct governor's office in non-conquered cities?

Attachments

• Tojo.PNG
    Tojo.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 181
  • Tojo.PNG
    Tojo.PNG
    1.9 MB · Views: 194
v.9

PIs 1 and 2 from 'JFD_JAPAN_TOJO_PROMOTION_VP_ATLAS' are not set.
Code:
INSERT INTO UnitPromotions
            (Type,                                Description,                                 Help,                                             Sound,                 CannotBeChosen, PortraitIndex,     IconAtlas,                                 PediaType,         PediaEntry,                                    LostWithUpgrade,    AttackMod)
VALUES        ('PROMOTION_JFD_YAMATO',            'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_JFD_YAMATO',             'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_JFD_YAMATO_HELP',            'AS2D_IF_LEVELUP',     1,                 59,             'ABILITY_ATLAS',                         'PEDIA_NAVAL',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_JFD_YAMATO',                0,                    25),
            --('PROMOTION_EMPIRE_OF_THE_PACIFIC',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_EMPIRE_OF_THE_PACIFIC',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_EMPIRE_OF_THE_PACIFIC_HELP',    'AS2D_IF_LEVELUP',    1,                59,                'ABILITY_ATLAS',                        'PEDIA_NAVAL',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_EMPIRE_OF_THE_PACIFIC',    0,                    10),
            ('PROMOTION_JFD_KAGERO',            'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_JFD_KAGERO',                'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_JFD_KAGERO_HELP',            'AS2D_IF_LEVELUP',    1,                20,                'EXPANSION2_PROMOTION_ATLAS',            'PEDIA_NAVAL',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_JFD_KAGERO',                0,                    0),
            ('PROMOTION_TOJO_IMPERIAL_SHRINE',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_TOJO_IMPERIAL_SHRINE',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_TOJO_IMPERIAL_SHRINE_HELP',    'AS2D_IF_LEVELUP',     1,                 0,                 'JFD_JAPAN_TOJO_PROMOTION_VP_ATLAS',    'PEDIA_MELEE',    'TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_TOJO_IMPERIAL_SHRINE',    0,                    0);

----

A little adjustment on 'UNIT_JFD_YAMATO' and 'UNIT_JFD_KAGERO' should be made when ENW is active

Top Bottom