JFD's Civilizations - Prussia (Frederick) for Vox Populi

JFD's Civilizations - Prussia (Frederick) for Vox Populi (v 9)

Did you miss something?
Sort of?

Negative reactions to the change - I changed the name of the Landwehr in the 4UC modmod, and got a bit of pushback from a couple people, including Hungry.
Actual in-game harm - The unique unit given by a militaristic CS only gives the name of the unit, so having two units with identical names obfuscates necessary information.
Further research and comparison of the two units - The Austrian Landwehr were the main infantry. The Prussian Landwehr are a reserve force, a militia. If one or the other should deserve to keep the name then the Autrian Landwehr was a more integral part of Their respective army.
Found an Alternative for Prussian Landwehr - There is a main infantry corps which was the Prussian homeguard: the Gardekorps. This change would only require a civilopedia text change.

Alternatives:
Mannschaften (General term for an enlisted soldier)
Gardekorps (more general name of the various homeguard enlisted corps)
Garde zu Fuss (Foot Guard, the most senior regiments in the Prussian army, often ceremonial)
Garde du Corps (Personal bodyguard of the King of Prussia. Instrumental in the battle of Hohenfriedberg. Unfortunately it would require a model change, their coats were white.)
Jaeger (entirely different unit. light skirmisher with scout promotions)

Last edited:
Don't worry. I'm not posting a fix right now because its a minor UI issue, and it only affects people who play with both mods.

I want to run a few AI games first to see how the recent balance changes are affecting things, in case I need to change anything.

Prussia for VP (v 4) + EE + 4UC + many others
Marathon, Donuts, turn 682

I believed the main balance issue should be the +100% XP but the trait being essencialy militaristic, I get nothing else (culture, gold,...) So that's ok for me
The only balance problem is about the crazy among of golden age points I'm getting. See the pic below. I'm in golden age since about renaissance !
Also it seems something is wrong with the Kriegsschule. It seems that I get the Stechschritt Promo to Gun/Melee units I built before but not the ones newly built. Intended?
Civ5Screen0036.jpg

It seems that I get the Stechschritt Promo to Gun/Melee units I built before but not the ones newly built
It happened only to the Landwehr. The gun units I buitl after that get the Kriegsschule promo.
The fact is that I have several gun units without Kriegsschule
despite all of them were built in the same city.

Attachments

• Civ5Screen0037.jpg
    Civ5Screen0037.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 169
About the permanent GA, do you think its the GA from Generals, or GAP from kills? My hunch is the GA from Generals, which is why it was initially half length. It seems problematic though, perhaps I need to rework that part of the UA.

For the Kriegsschule, do you remember how you got those units without the promotion? Were they built / purchase, or were they from some other source, like CS gift, events, etc? I'm guessing the game can't find an origin city for those units, and no city = no Kriegsschule = no promo. If I can find those cases though, I can probably do a fix via DLL.

The pic Civ5Screen0037 above is a Landwehr normaly trained (not bough) in the capital.
All the melee/gun I trained or bought before Stechschritt got the Kriegsschule. Then the new Landwehrs didn't, and then the Infantry Units i trained long after got it ! weird

More tests are needed to clairify the situation

perhaps I need to rework that part of the UA.
Sure

You could try :
- 1 instead of 2 Great General Points from Military Training Buildings. ( The permanent GA starts long before the Stechschritt )
- Golden Age for each enemy unit killed . 33% of that unit's Combat Strength

Personaly, I don't like the idea of half length GA.

GA rate is the only no military advantage Frederick got. It must remain hight. But not permanent.

After a break from Prussia, I'm back. Thoughts on the UA:
  1. GAP on kill is probably better than GA on General birth. So yes, probably should have stuck closer with JFD's UA.
  2. I want to remove the yields from buildings aspect. It was only ever a band-aid, and feels too close to Japan.
  3. I'm thinking of adding some sort of combat bonus to Melee and Gun units. Perhaps something simple like 15% combat strength and fights well when damaged, and call it Prussian Discipline.
Also, I want to use a simpler name for the Kriegsschule promotion, since I can not remember or even pronounce it... Something like 'Fine Goosestep' maybe. (EU4 reference :) )

Prussia excelled at a war of movement. Their entire doctrine revolves around lightning strikes, to the point where the French would mock them for their inept handling of sieges. Don’t know how best to reflect that in gameplay

At the moment that's only represented by the +1 movement in the UB promotion.

Originally one of my ideas for the UA is for a combat bonus for the first X number of turns from the declaration of war. Didn't go through with it because I was worried about the code taking too much memory, and I'm still not sure if it does as I don't know that much about C++.

Prussia excelled at a war of movement. Their entire doctrine revolves around lightning strikes, to the point where the French would mock them for their inept handling of sieges. Don’t know how best to reflect that in gameplay

Ironically I wind up doing a of sieges with them since the stalwart promotion makes the landwehr great for that.

I think you're right about changing the GA on general birth, every game with Prussia I've ended up in an indefinitely extended GA thanks to my great generals.

HungryForFood updated JFD's The Kingdom of Prussia for Vox Populi with a new update entry:

v 6

UA: Hohenfriedberg March
- Removed bonus yields to military training buildings.
- Golden age from great general birth replaced with golden age points from kills (400% of the killed unit's combat strength).
- New: Melee and Gunpowder Units gain the Prussian Discipline promotion (15% combat strength, 15% more when stacked with a Great General).

UB: Kriegsschule
- Stechschritt promotion renamed to Fine Goosestep.
- Promotion no longer grants Golden Age Points from kill.
- Science and Culture...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Anyone has still this weird issue with 3rd and 4th UC not showing up? I used v6, Prussia loads after MUCfVP, but I can't get it working.

I have the same problem, also the Papal States (Pius IX) doesn't work for me either

@Taticius Huh, I have Papal State working, but I cannot remember if I eneabled smth in there. Probably not. Just downloaded correct version.

@Taticius Huh, I have Papal State working, but I cannot remember if I eneabled smth in there. Probably not. Just downloaded correct version.
Hmm For me Prussia and Papal States don't get the 3rd and 4th UC, two other civs I downloaded (Sumer and Israel) work. I'm only using Vox Populi and More Unique Components for VP mods.

Hmm For me Prussia and Papal States don't get the 3rd and 4th UC, two other civs I downloaded (Sumer and Israel) work. I'm only using Vox Populi and More Unique Components for VP mods.
That's especially strange in the case of Sumer, because I copied how 4UC is implemented from @HungryForFood's mods. If it's working for Sumer, it should be identical to Papal states.

Top Bottom