Status
Not open for further replies.

HungryForFood

Prince
JFD's ExCE Resources for Vox Populi
Does not need the original mod
(steam workshop)
(link to original mod)
Click on the on the overview button on the top left for information, and the download now button on the top right for download.

Spoiler Information on resources :
Resource | Type | Base yield | Improvement | Improved yield | Building | Building yield | Monopoly
Cedar | Bonus | 1 Production | Lumber mill | 1 Gold | Workshop | 1 Production 1 Gold | None
Ginger | Luxury | 1 Food 1 Culture | Plantation | 1 Food 2 Culture | Market | 1 Gold 1 Faith | +10% Food
Lotus | Bonus | 1 Faith | None (spawns in lake) | None | Aqueduct | 1 Culture] 1 Faith | None
Manuscripts | City-state luxury | 1 Culture 1 Faith | None | None | None | None | +5 % Culture and Faith
Oak | Bonus | 1 Production | Lumber mill | 1 Production | Workshop | 2 Production | None
Obsidian | Luxury | 1 Faith | Quarry | 1 Production 1 Science | Herbalist | 2 Production | 10% attack bonus
Opium | Luxury | 1 Culture | Plantation | 1 Gold 1 Culture | Bath | 1 Food 1 Gold | 3 Gold on tile
Rubber | Bonus | 1 Production 1 Gold | Plantation | 1 Production 1 Gold | Factory | 2 Production 2 Gold | None
Saffron | Luxury | 2 Gold | Plantation | 1 Culture 1 Faith | Temple | 1 Culture 1 Faith | 3 Gold on tile
Sulfur | Bonus | 1 Production 1 Gold | Mine | 1 Production 1 Gold | Factory | 1 Production 2 Science | None
Vanilla | Luxury | 2 Gold | Plantation | 1 Food 2 Gold | Herbalist | 1 Food 1 Gold | 6 Happiness

Last edited:
Thanks alot for adding more diversity to the game! I especially like the lotus resource, since I currently find lakes a bit dull.

Awesome job, by the way any chance I could get some help with coding a mod or two?

(Trying to do a wonderific rome and the Indian civpack...)

Last edited:
The bonus resources like Cedar and Lotus appear immediately. However, if this is going to be promoted as a Vox Populi mod then I’d prefer it to be consistent with other bonus resources that are unlocked on technologies.

So Ginger gives 3 Culture when improved, seems a bit much.

Sulfur may as well give 4 Yields from the Factory.

At what Techs do Sulfur and Rubber appear?

I like it! Here's some (hopefully) constructive criticism, which I hope would make this even better

I agree with grmagne that adding reveal techs to the bonus resources would add needed consistency. Here are my recommended techs:
  • Cedar - Bronze Working (Forced to have it revealed as soon as you can chop forest)
  • Oak - Bronze Working (Forced to have it revealed as soon as you can chop forest)
  • Rubber - Calendar (Forced to have it revealed as soon as you can chop jungle)
  • Sulfur - Iron working (There's an open slot on the tech, and it makes sense to keep the resource associated with metals/mining, but I would prefer to make it reveal a bit later)
  • Lotus - Masonry (same tech as aqueduct, actually construction in the SQL)
Cedar has the same icon as Oak in your OP. This is the icon for Cedar:
Why did you use such massive icons for your OP? Why not use the smaller ones here so that they don't take up so much space in your OP?
It's a shame feathers couldn't be added, since the trading post is gone. Maybe it could be a camp resource?

The Ginger yield in the table is a typo, it is actually 1 food 1 culture when improved (so 2 in total). I didn't really extensively balance though, so I'll let the balance sink in for a bit then see what needs change.

Sulfur and Rubber has high yields from building, since Factory is much later than everything else.

The tech reveals seem good. I'll add those, except for Rubber and Sulfur. You will need to chop those two to get to them anyway, and they're mostly used in modern times in reality. I'll also try to change Cedar and Oak to only spawn with forest. At the moment, there's a chance it spawns with jungle.

I did not add Feathers since there is not really a proper model for it. At the moment it uses the bird effect from Fishing Boats, and tries to hide the boat model, except the hiding part doesn't really work. Adding it as a Camp will require some 3D work as well, since the camp model is attached to every camp resource rather than as a standalone.

I also didn't think about Bath requiring fresh water, so I'll probably move the Opium building yield boost to somewhere else, maybe Garden.

Camp for Feathers is better than the Trading Post. I wouldn't mind Rubber and Sulfur coming later, if they give good Yields.

Dropping feathers sounds perfectly reasonable, now that I understand it better. Thanks for explaining that.

Sulfur and rubber are older than their modern applications. I think a classical era reveal is perfectly acceptable in both, or even earlier. The Olmec, the second-oldest American civilization, discovered rubber, and used it for various things circa 1000BC. Sulfur usage goes back as far as well. That being said, whatever you decide is fine.

Looks very nice.
Is this set of new resources incorporated into pantheon?(like luxury/resource specific pantheon )

Dropping feathers sounds perfectly reasonable, now that I understand it better. Thanks for explaining that.

Sulfur and rubber are older than their modern applications. I think a classical era reveal is perfectly acceptable in both, or even earlier. The Olmec, the second-oldest American civilization, discovered rubber, and used it for various things circa 1000BC. Sulfur usage goes back as far as well. That being said, whatever you decide is fine.

That's radically changing the intended purpose of those resources in the original mod - the icon for Rubber is certainly not how the Olmecs would've applied it. What about this is really an adaptation of "JFD's ExCE Resources" vs an appropriation of the artwork - especially when JFDLC and ExCE have VP support for these resources included? Personally, I think dropping the pretense that this is the former would be the best direction, since it somewhat misuses my name, and asking Sukritact's permission to use the artwork for an independent project if you haven't done so already would go a long way in separating out the problems with these kinds of projects.

especially when JFDLC and ExCE have VP support for these resources included?
I think the problem is that the VP Support is very limiting otherwise I don't believe this mod would have appeared in the first place.

Why am I quoted? Are you meaning to talk to me, or HfF? I don't know what the intended use of these resources in their original context is. I wasn't aware these extra resources existed in any format before they appeared on this thread; I've never used ExcE or Rise to Power.
the icon for Rubber is certainly not how the Olmecs would've applied it.
I hadn't really considered that a problem, just artistic license. The icon for copper shows a pile of copper pipes, after all.

Last edited:
I quoted you because you brought up my point whether knowingly or not, which is that there isn’t really much of my work in this mod so calling it JFD’s is disingenuous.

Fair 'nuff. I guess Hungry should go see if Sukritact is interested in having the art assets used like this, and track down whoever did the models for the in-game tiles.

While you're here, @JFD, I'm curious why you chose towels for saffron? I get that you were probably trying to avoid doing another flower, but why not a pile of saffron threads?
Spoiler saffron threads :

They’re monks robes, not towels, since Saffron is strongly associated with the colour of the robes that Buddhist monks wear (though technically these are dyed with turmeric since saffron is so expensive).

A long time ago I gave the feedback and suggestions for VP compatibility back when monopolies were introduced and so forth.
This looks just like how it was back then, can someone fill me in on why it is not sufficient to DL the original MOD? I haven't used it in some time.
p.s. I never got over losing feathers, they were so awesome.

What I changed. On the more obvious front end:
  • All the resources are boosted by a building like the rest in VP.
  • Monopoly of a luxury can be used to found a corporation (I think this wasn't in the original).
On the back-end, instead of using the Lua scripting of the original (which placed the resources after map generation was complete), I edited VP's version of AssignStartingPlots.lua. I didn't think the original touched the resources already placed on the map, so it would have caused resource abundance to be slightly higher than expected.

This really started as a personal mod, but since there were people asking for it (and I've already done the work), I thought that it might make someone happy. If JFD feels like I'm not adding enough value, or that I should ask Sukitract, then sure, I have no issues addressing those appropriately.

Also, I am interested in fixing up a workable camp model for Feathers eventually, now that I have experience with Civ 5 3D work.

Corporations were in at some point but there were issues, I forget exactly.
I do seem to remember a slight abundance it has to be said, especially when sulphur came online iirc.

Thanks for the run-down! This certainly seems in the original purpose of the mod to me. Thanks for sharing your work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom