JFD's The United States of America (Roosevelt) for VP

notque

Artificially Intelligent

The New Deal

Choose from either :c5greatperson: Great Merchant points and a :c5gold: Gold boost or :c5greatperson: Great Engineer points and a :c5production: Production boost every time you adopt a new Social Policy. +2 :c5culture: Culture from Great Person tile improvements.

Assembly Plant (Factory)
  • +10% :c5production: Production towards mechanized Land and Air units
  • +50% embarked :c5strength: Defense for Armor and Siege units
  • Assembly Plant unlocks an Ideology without requirements

Iowa (Battleship)
  • +1 :c5moves: Movement and :c5rangedstrength: Range
  • +7 :c5strength: Combat Strength and :c5rangedstrength: Ranged Combat Strength.
  • Mark 7 Naval Guns (+100% Combat Strength vs Units).

Credits
  • JFD: Coding, Design, Writing
  • Janboruta: Artwork
  • Leugi: Artwork (Leaderscreen)
  • Firaxis: Artwork (Assembly Plant)
  • Gyra Solune: Research (City Lists)
  • Andreas Waldeloft: Music
  • Darnell: Artwork (Iowa)
  • q: Balance, Design, Writing

Updated file Nov 7th with bug fixes for allowing CPU to be the civ without issues, and to fix a gold generation bug.

Attachments

• JFD's The United States of America (Roosevelt) (v 4) for VP.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Have it all working, going to play one more full game to try and catch text or other errors, and then can release.

Uploaded, I tested and it worked fine, fun. If you see any bugs let me know, it's my first mod of this type.

Will probably work on Hitler next.

I guess people don't like using the showcase anymore. :crazyeye:

I guess people don't like using the showcase anymore. :crazyeye:

What is the showcase? I've only ever worked on other mods, or released them via workshop so I likely have no idea what i'm doing.

How best can I release updated versions? I fixed a core problem with Roosevelt that it doesn't work as a cpu civ, now it does. Also fixed a problem with gold not giving you as much as it should.

Do I just reattach the file, or is there some better way?

There's also the discussion thread for civ compatibility mods.

So, feedback on Roosevelt.

UA:
Regular production spikes and Great Engineers fits a tall, wonder-focused playstyle. It certainly sounds pretty fun.
How much gold/production do you get? Should probably be several turns worth of production at each stage of the game.
Production is usually much more valuable than gold, and Great Engineers beat Great Merchants as well. If both options give the same amount of yields, I'd go for production every time. Alternatively, you could give both at a reduced amount.
The +2 Culture on Great Person Improvements is nice, but ultimately not that impactful. It wouldn't push me to build manufactories instead of wonders, for instance.

UU:
+100% in combat against units, all the time? That's way too much, even for a late-game unit. 90+% of combat is against units, so it's going to be insanely powerful and difficult to take down.
Even if you tone that down to a reasonable number, having the bonus apply against all units doesn't really push toward any particular use for the unit. It's just a super-powerful unit that's slightly worse against cities. I'd advise giving it a more specific bonus, to make it more interesting.

UB:
Early ideology unlocks aren't really done in Vox Populi. I don't know exactly how that would affect game balance, but it sounds quite risky.
The other bonuses listed are quite lackluster. After I build the first one for the ideology unlock, I don't have much reason to prioritize these over other buildings. I'd like a little bit more punch to an Industrial UB.

Thanks for sharing! We'd love to have more civ mods for Vox Populi!

UA:
Regular production spikes and Great Engineers fits a tall, wonder-focused playstyle. It certainly sounds pretty fun.
How much gold/production do you get? Should probably be several turns worth of production at each stage of the game.

60 Production * Era and 60 GE points per era.
120 Gold * Era and 120 GM points per era.

Production is usually much more valuable than gold, and Great Engineers beat Great Merchants as well. If both options give the same amount of yields, I'd go for production every time. Alternatively, you could give both at a reduced amount.
The +2 Culture on Great Person Improvements is nice, but ultimately not that impactful. It wouldn't push me to build manufactories instead of wonders, for instance.

That's why GM /Gold is double. Any other yield is worth 2 gold in civ.

The +2 Culture on GP Improvements is certainly impactful when they generate more points via policies. It does move me to build all my GP as improvements, and it's a super fun game.

UU:
+100% in combat against units, all the time? That's way too much, even for a late-game unit. 90+% of combat is against units, so it's going to be insanely powerful and difficult to take down.
Even if you tone that down to a reasonable number, having the bonus apply against all units doesn't really push toward any particular use for the unit. It's just a super-powerful unit that's slightly worse against cities. I'd advise giving it a more specific bonus, to make it more interesting.

Playing it, it doesn't seem over powered at all. In comparison to any other UU, and the destruction you cause at that point in the game, it's a push over. Songhai's Cav for example I can take 2 whole civs with without siege, and this Battleship requires several, and nicks a city.

If anything, I think it should be more powerful. I do agree the bonus should be more interesting.

UB:
Early ideology unlocks aren't really done in Vox Populi. I don't know exactly how that would affect game balance, but it sounds quite risky.
The other bonuses listed are quite lackluster. After I build the first one for the ideology unlock, I don't have much reason to prioritize these over other buildings. I'd like a little bit more punch to an Industrial UB.

I know it isn't done, which makes it super unique and enjoyable. Also America getting Freedom early for their "second" UU the B17 is nice in my view. I agree the Assembly Plant could use more.

Thanks for sharing! We'd love to have more civ mods for Vox Populi!

I have Hitler done, and the Germans done (peace with barbarians), but don't know a simple way to file host them.

So, I did a very quick test with IGE and looked at the code a bit, here's what I think.

- I recommend changing the era scaling of the UA, and make it the same as in CBP, ie 1x in Ancient and Classical, 2x in Medieval, 3x in Renaissance, etc. Not a major issue, just makes it consistent with the rest of the mod.
- UA seems to not work for the AI. I would suggest making it more AI friendly. Perhaps remove the choice, and just make it give half of both bonuses.
- UB needs to be buffed. I suggest increasing the production boost towards units, perhaps to 25%, or even more. Maybe another non-military bonus as well. Maybe something gold related, or maybe it boosts GE/GM rate.
- Not sure if the ideology unlock should be kept, given how ideology works differently.
- I'm still not sold on the Iowa as the UU, and would prefer something else. Aside from what I mentioned in the other thread, I think the base Battleship model in the game actually uses the Iowa class. Also, you should use a better model and icons. There are two WWII USA model packs in the downloads section (link and link); plenty to choose from. However, I don't think they have icons, so will need to whip something up.

I have Hitler done, and the Germans done (peace with barbarians), but don't know a simple way to file host them.

Upload to the downloads section, rather than using attachments within the forums. Much higher size limit.

Also, how about compatibility with unique events? I can do those if you're not interested in that mod.

Same goes for E&D. I did not test the decisions to see if they work, but just from looking at the customisation wiki, the yield changes portion seem a tad underpowered for CBP.

- I recommend changing the era scaling of the UA, and make it the same as in CBP, ie 1x in Ancient and Classical, 2x in Medieval, 3x in Renaissance, etc. Not a major issue, just makes it consistent with the rest of the mod.
Makes sense, I'll sort that out.

- UA seems to not work for the AI. I would suggest making it more AI friendly. Perhaps remove the choice, and just make it give half of both bonuses.

I did remove the choice and had it choose each one half the time, if something is not working there I have a bug. Thanks for the catch.

- UB needs to be buffed. I suggest increasing the production boost towards units, perhaps to 25%, or even more. Maybe another non-military bonus as well. Maybe something gold related, or maybe it boosts GE/GM rate.
- Not sure if the ideology unlock should be kept, given how ideology works differently.
- I'm still not sold on the Iowa as the UU, and would prefer something else. Aside from what I mentioned in the other thread, I think the base Battleship model in the game actually uses the Iowa class. Also, you should use a better model and icons. There are two WWII USA model packs in the downloads section (link and link); plenty to choose from. However, I don't think they have icons, so will need to whip something up.

Did my model not load? or did you not like the Iowa I chose? I used one from the two WWII USA model packs.

Upload to the downloads section, rather than using attachments within the forums. Much higher size limit.

Also, how about compatibility with unique events? I can do those if you're not interested in that mod.

Same goes for E&D. I did not test the decisions to see if they work, but just from looking at the customisation wiki, the yield changes portion seem a tad underpowered for CBP.

Haven't done the mod compatibility yet. I only use the Community events, so was looking into those, but I should look into it more.

Did my model not load? or did you not like the Iowa I chose? I used one from the two WWII USA model packs.

Huh that's weird, something must have went wrong on my side. I'll look into it later. Same goes for the UA.

Huh that's weird, something must have went wrong on my side. I'll look into it later. Same goes for the UA.

The model worked when I tested it, and the UA had several bugs with the core version that I've fixed for the AI already. It wouldn't be the most shocking to me if there are more bugs given how broken it was initially.

Oh, and I was thinking about what you said about buffing the Great Person tile improvements, and I was thinking the most logical answer to help would be adding golden age points to them. Any thoughts on that?

Or adding additional bonuses as you unlock later techs.

That was Blue Ghost, though I do agree that the GPI yields are tad low. However, I do not think it is an issue as the main meat of the UA is the boost from policy unlock.

If you want to buff it though, I think the most impactful way is to have the yield bonus scale with era somehow. I think that will have to be done with lua though.

Hello and thank you for your work though I still don't know why you don't use the showcase made by our beloved Enginseer.
So, I DL your different civs apart for Arminius, didn't have the time to actively test them with VP but I noticed during 2 games that, while playing with Vietnam Trung Sisters, I got the New Deal choice every time Roosevelt - AI - was unlocking a new policy.
Maybe it's due to one of the mods I'm using, I could give you my logs if you want but I wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue.
On another hand Hitler seems very weak, giving 2 modern only UU and no earlier UB makes him very unbalanced. Will try him as I love GP oriented civs like the good old JFD Burgundy or Vietnam for example but another hand I fear the UA is way too powerful in player's hands in 20+ civs games. I'll tell you as I could be wrong.
Oh no crash by the way though I cannot judge the different UU as both games finished before.

Last edited:
I remember the New Deal bug with Roosevelt from vanilla. I don’t know the cause, but if it’s still happening, you’ll probably want to debug it.

I thought I had fixed that bug in the last update. Did you download the newest version?

Top Bottom