1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jimi's Challenge Series 1: Shaka

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by OJimiJam, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Tyrant Roger

Tyrant Roger Warlord

I think you should go after iron so you can chop jungle around your cities to the south. Expand toward SB fast if you are confident there is no AI north of you. Get Fishing and send out scout boats to circle SB and to look for new AI's. REX south fast and fill in up north much later when your economy recovers. Fogbust to keep the barbs down south with SB. Barb cities to the north should not be a problem. They can be taken at your leisure. With luck they might unlock the HE for you.

While an early rush by Shaka is appealing, SB is a very hard target and you would likely fall far behind in tech v. the AI's on the other continents. And if you are not rushing, you ought to be REXing. A successful REX would allow you later to choose a peaceful tech strategy or a rush v. SB with catapults & swords if you are lucky with iron.

2. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

I wouldn't rush SB.. your land is actually decent.. Just REX (especially near that western gold). Let the Ikhanda and later Courthouses pay for your cities.

3. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Your land is perfectly fine. You have a GP farm, a superb cottage site, and a production site, with plenty of room for more cities. On top of that, you have the ability to block off the north for yourself.

However, there's an issue with your neighbor, Sitting Bull. Obviously, you want his land, but it might not be optimal to start an early war (protective, dog soldiers, totem pole, etc). More information is needed. Say Sitting Bull builds a wonder such as the Great Lighthouse. That would give you a much greater incentive for claiming his land. But what if he founds a religion and you both adopt it eventually? You may want to keep him for trade routes (especially if you or Sitting Bull never get a Great Prophet for a shrine).

Here's what I would do. Scout out how much land he has. This is a good indicator of how well Sitting Bull will do. If he has lots of tundra, he obviously won't do well, but if he has land like yours, he will be teching faster than he normally does.

a) His land is great -- it's probably optimal to claim it (not 100% certain, though, as more information is needed of course). A possible choice is a catapults war. But to do this, you must research quickly so Sitting Bull does not get the window of time need to also research Construction.

b) His land is poor -- feel free to leave him alone for the time being barring odd circumstances (such as Sitting Bull building the Great Lighthouse, the Temple of Artemis, and the Pyramids in his capital). You will want the trade routes.

Of course, there is a likely possibility that Sitting Bull's land is part good, part awful, so consider taking only the best cities or not at all if you are doing fine with the land you have, which you should be with those floodplains and grasslands and hills.

Be aware that if path b is what's necessary, then try to research Alphabet instead of Monarchy. An AI in isolation will trade Monarchy and a few other techs (for reasons unsure of me and by many others). Also, for both a and b, you will need Writing for open borders, so make that an early priority. I would have researched Writing before Polytheism.

PS - I'd settle at least one of the jungle cities pretty soon.

4. OJimiJam

OJimiJam Warlord

Looking back on it i guess the techpath was a bit of a mistake, i just have huge paranoia about happy caps and aim for monarchy asap in most my games, far more important than CoL in my opinion. Anyone know what time the oracle normally goes on emp? im assuming im too late even with heavy chopping. As of 1680 no wonders have been built, so maybe im ok...

5. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

In an immortal game I had (Immortal Cookbook to be exact) the oracle went at 925 BC if I recall correctly.

6. OJimiJam

OJimiJam Warlord

I again apologise for this slow pace, ill play and post tonight i hope, and the next few rounds should be fairly speedy (isolation plus the fact im actually at my flat).

Going to go after the (fairly late) oracle, find out what SBs land is like and plant a few more cities down.

7. futurehermit

futurehermit Deity

If you can secure a larger empire than SB peacefully then you should have no problem eventually outteching him and conquering him. He is a notoriously slow techer and that will be even worse for him when isolated. With those gold pits it shouldn't be hard to outtech him either. I would say just rex hard, outtech him, conquer him, then re-evaluate.

8. OJimiJam

OJimiJam Warlord

Right iv played up to 25AD and i think things went prety well, maybe a few stooopid moves but i guess we'll see. The posts kinda written, but i got some errands to run, so expect the update in the next few hours.