1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ01-Moving up to Monarch

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by jeejeep, Mar 28, 2006.

1. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

I easily worked the way up the difficulty ladder from warlord to noble to prince, but I can't seem to get a win on monarch. I decided to start my first SG to help me and other players with this difficulty. It would also be nice to have one or two experienced players as mentors.

Settings:
    Monarch
    Continents
    Standard Size
    Normal Speed
    Asoka or Mao
    Climate?
    Sea Level?

Roster:
    Jeejeep
    rddc05
    TomPW
    Kikinit
    Mutineer
    Bigfoot

2. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

I'm about 50/50 on Monarch, so add me if that meets your criteria. I find that games at Epic speed are a bit easier to get a win, so you might consider that as a game setting.

3. autocon

autocon Deus da Guerra

i'm interested (take a look at my signature :)), but i'll wait for the discussions mainly in relation to time because it will be hard to fit another commitment in my schedule

4. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

@rddc05: You're in :D

@autocon: It would be nice to have you and I would be happy to stay flexible in regards to time, so if you want to you are in

5. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

Hi guys! I'd love to be a part of this. Also getting the turns played quickly won't be a problem for me. I've won on Prince but not on Monarch, and I haven't played a SG yet. I'm itching to try it though, and if you'll have me - I'm in! I understand that you might be looking for some more experienced players though - and I won't take offense if you say no.

Tom

6. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Tom: I would be happy to have you. You seem very enthusiastic,which is great. I wouln't say I am very experienced either, so that is not a factor.

7. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

Yay! Thanks very much, very much looking forward to this. :)

8. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

I'm already in three SGs, but what the heck. Prince is starting to bore me and I've never tried monarch.

Reporting for duty.

If you'll have me, that is.

9. Mutineer

Mutineer Deity

I think I will volontire for this succession game. It would be fouth for me, probably a bit to mach.

I can win on Monarch level 100% of the time from any starting position and any civ. I would only ask one thin, when I suggest something do not dismiss my advice out of hand, even if it is sound unuseal for you.

One more think, I would suggest standert continent game (Ifound them the most fun) and normal speed. (I found other to be to slow and if other speed would be choisen I will disvolontire myself.) Really, I hate slow speed.

10. Kikinit

Kikinit Emperor

Seems you've got the right number, but I will put my hand up anyway. I am also at this stage of trying to get Monarch wins. I seem to do it easy in Prince and then have trouble with that next step.

Missed getting my spaceship launched by 2 turns in my last game in a twisted axis game on Monarch.

If you've got no places left then I will lurk and see if I can learn something anyway.

11. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

On second thought, my wife just reminded me of another commitment I have coming up. I'll have to bow out, guys.

12. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

Kikinit: You're in
    Rex: Sorry, it would have been nice to have you
    Mutineer: I'm OK with normal, I usually play on it. However, I have to ask the rest of the team for feedback on this subject.

So, what do we want for settings? Please state your game speed preference first, so Mutineer will know if he wants to join.

13. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

I'm OK with normal game speed, just sayin' Epic is a bit easier for those of us still a little shaky on Monarch. I really don't have a preference as far as any of the other settings go. Archipelago maps are usually a hoot, but any map/settings are fine with me.

14. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

As three out of five are okaywith normal game speed, I would like to welcome Mutineer on board.
    Personally I would like standard continents, with no particular leader preference. Archipelago maps seem kind of extreme to me sometimes, and it would not be good if we got a terrible/isolated starting position for this game. However, I am okay with whatever the team decides.

15. Kikinit

Kikinit Emperor

Eeek.. please not archipeligo.. I have played two SG's and they were both on archipeligo and both the Japanese to boot. Of course, mine is only one voice so the group must decide.

On epic... Is it easier to win on Monarch this way? I may have to do this in my SP games then maybe I can finally crack it.

I have no preference on Epic or standard speed. But to keep an experienced player (multineer) on the roster, then I will choose standard. But please no huge maps as that becomes very difficult to do the turn reporting and will kill some peoples PC's in the late game.

16. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

I'm fine with standard and continents, as they are my favourite kind of game. I'd like to make a shout for Asoka if I could though - quite underplayed, you always see people playing as Ghandi, but Asoka is quite a different matter. The fast worker unit would be valueable to us throughout the game, - not just in one era like other UUs. Add to that the organised trait, which really starts to show its value on higher difficulty levels as the civics costs are exagerrated and we're onto a winner.

Spiritual is always a fun trait and it gives us a good shot at nabbing an early religion. For those of us used to playing on Prince, this would be great to ofset the happiness hit we get from Monarch level.

Just my thoughts on the leader, what does everyone else thing?

17. Kikinit

Kikinit Emperor

TomPW's comments have got me thinking about what we are up against with the change in level.

I have done some searching trying to find what changes occur between Prince & Monarch and have come up with the following (abbreviated) list:

• Higher animal attack probability
    • Less free units support
    • Higher unit cost
    • Larger distance maintenance
    • Higher civic upkeep
    • Higher Inflation
    • More barbarians and they come earlier
    In addition, the AI starts with a free defense unit (archer I presume), 1 worker and a free tech (Archery).

Health & Happiness seem to be the same as prince difficulty level. Goody huts also seem to be about the same with a slightly lower chance of gold and a higher chance of encountering strong barbarians (15%!).

Most of this information is from here.

Now what does this all mean to us? I guess it means we are behind the 8-ball as soon as we even start. We need to get our research going as soon as possible and as fast as possible as we are already chasing.

We are going to have to concentrate on getting health and happy bonuses to allow our cities to grow. And we need a worker fast to get them connected up.

We also need to get some defenses in place fairly quickly as the barbarians will come earlier and more frequently.

All in all a big challenge. :crazyeye:

EDIT: And here's some discussion of the problem we seem to be having. That is, going from prince to monarch.
    -

18. jeejeep

jeejeep qwertyuiop

This post by Mutineer in that thread seems particularly helpful. I'll copy it here for reference.

I also need to know other people's preferences on leader (besides Tom).

19. rddc05

rddc05 Warlord

Asoka sounds good to me. Alternates would be maybe Bismarck or Mao.

20. TomPW

TomPW Chieftain

First off - just Tom will do fine! The name was already taken. Your research throws up an interesting point - 15% greater chance of popping barbarians out of a hut seems too risky to do without a scout. However if we were to play as Asoka we would begin with a warrior. The problem here is that many of the huts might be snapped up before we had a chance to get a scout out there.

What do other people think about this? If we had to detour to hunting to get a quick scout we would probably lose the race to a religion. However if we can spread our religion around we would have more allies to trade with, and this could be immeasureably helpful in keeping up tech wise.

Tom