1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

[BTS] Joao II - Diety

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by yyeah, Apr 13, 2017.

1. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

I wanted to play Leader which i usually dont play... and why not post it here as well.
    Maybe someone wants to try it too.

So ... Leader:

Civ:

UB:
    Spoiler :

UU:
    Spoiler :

And start:
    Spoiler :

Map settings:
    Map: Terra
    Size: Standard
    Climate: Tropical
    Sea lvl: low
    7AI's -> random
    No Huts, No events

GL & HF

WB save

Attached Files:

2. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

Eh i have problems with uploading fotos on this new site :sad: thats why this civ image looks silly :blush:.
    Anyway
    Hmm warrior 1NW or 1SE ?
    Moveing settler 1NW or 1W to grab more river tiles isnt bad idea i think, but :think: this grassland tile 2SE from warrior...
    Allways dilemma do i want to c what i can gain or do i want to c what i can loose ...:hmm:

3. Imploding

Imploding Chieftain

My default says: Move settler NW to gain max river grassland.
    Therefore i would move the warrior SE to see if there is something there that is so good that it would stop me from moving settler NW.

That creates a win-win situation imo. :)

GL & HF
    I will definitly lurk :)

4. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

Yea probably you right however what can stop me by moveing Settler... only gems.
    And if i move warrior to the north i will have 1 more :move: in next turn to find maybe sth else ?

Last days i played like, just couple of maps so ... this settings/civ can be rly challangeing for me :crazyeye: but well time to improove :aargh: and best way to do so is just post map here :).

Edit:
    Spoiler :

Warrior discovered Dye so, ezy decision move.
    And :banana: settle on that not a bad spot we can work on that 1 desert tile but it doesnt make a diference.

teching Agc->BW

Edit2: T35
    Spoiler :

Meet everyone couple of warmogers ( Stalin, Genghis Khan), and couple of v good techers, trades ( if not best) - Mansa and WvO.
    2460BC Mansa got Writing :wow: unfortunatly i cant OB with him becouse every1 hates him :sad:.
    Will have to be v carefull with trades here.
    Diplo
    Spoiler :

teched Agc->BW->Wheel now Pottery.
    The reason is ... well theres couple of reasons 1st of all theres no natural 1st city spot, any city which i want to settle needs road. That was though decision becouse now i need to def with warriors, and game can soon be over :lol: but i think that with enough numbers i can repel them.
    Thres only 1 barb archer to the N, in E theres Gilgamesh Archer which is fogbusting i think/hope.
    On W side is Pericles with hes cities and units so no danger from that direction...
    With all this circumstances i decide to :ar15:this barb archer in N and settle my 1st city 2NE 1N from Capitol. Idk is this good decision or not, this spot isnt great as well, becouse i rather try to settle towards AI then other direction but it just cant be done atm i supose and i need 2nd site.
    Spoiler :

If some1 have diferent point of view ill be glad to read it.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  5. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

update:
    Spoiler :

Manage to survive the barbs, that wasnt hard only 2 archers and 2 warriors. Unfortunatly i couldnt spawnbust E and barb city spawn in not great position.
    Spoiler :

Haveing Mansa in the game is allways advantages for a human ... hes such a great guy.
    I teched Pottery->AH and traded it for Writing.
    I choosed Hbr next its a good trade and iam thinking about HA's rush. Basicly becouse this land isnt great and with crap land i will be falling behind.
    Its i think better to get big enough early.
    Spoiler :

After Hbr and some trades i decided to go Compas. Mansa is reserching Currency and he will trade it to me anyway so theres no point for me to go that route.
    Allso maybe i will go early Optics and make use of mine UU to settle New World.

Stalin is a bit behind in tech race, and hes got GLH. I thining about taking him out another option is Pericles who is at war with Mongolians but i dont rly like to attack Cre Leaders with HA's :culture: def is allways an issue and hes teching preety good.
    Spoiler :

Diplo
    Spoiler :

What do you think should i go to war ?

6. Imploding

Imploding Chieftain

War is tempting.. I would go for Pericles since he is your closest neigbour and is at war with Genghis.. you will get a soft target and possibly make a great ally in Genghis.. which you could bribe on your next target :)
    How quickly can you get 10-15 HA? Depending on that you could easily grab a couple of cities and peace for maybe MC?
    But if you can spare a unit or maybe even a scout.. get a sense of his land.. if it is worth it to take this early :) If hes teching fast.. it is likely that you want those cities :)

Nice posting so far :)

7. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

Thats good point @Imploding but situation dramatically :mischief: changed i will update soon no time for it right now.

8. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

350BC
    Spoiler :

Its 350BC and ... katastrofa :cry:
    I was plotting a war but war comes to me unfortunatly. Old friend Gilgesh did what he allways do... came out of nowhere and DoW'ed on me :thumbsup:

Offcourse he took barb city thich i just conquered.

I manage to defend somehow but well its doesnt looks good theres no chance atm to take my city back.
    Hes Cre and Pro and i dont have metal:undecide:

One of the options could be force Stalin to make a peace with Pericles and Mansa and bribe him against Gilgesh.
    However looks like Stalin is doing preety good and he dont want to stop hes warfare.

On top of that WvO :science: Compas and traded it to Mansa so i had to self tech Currency and yea, iam rly behind in tech.

Only good thing about this game is everybody are at war with everybody.

Iam thinking about plan maybe i just cut my looses for now and make a peace when it will be possible. And then go for Optics and settle new world asap.
    This is thing which i didnt do yet in civ so its tempting but idk how it works.
    Need to think about it.

9. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

50AD
    Spoiler :

I didnt bribe Stalin against Gilgesh, but Russia has this nice Vladivostok city which is blocking Gilgesh.
    So i just convinced :mischief: Stalin (Calendar and Monarchy) to stop trade with Sumerian Empire, that way this ********** cant reinforce hes army.

That way i was able to deal with hes troops and take back Tatar :)

Unfortunatly hedont want to make a peace, even for Calendar and MC :wow:.
    "Gullible" ... whats wrog with you dude :gripe:, i just want to live in peace and harmony :sarcasm:.

Anyway hes not a problem for now so i decided to ignore him. And move my troops towards Greece borders.
    Pericles was at war vs Russia, Mongolia and Khmer all this time and he was loosing hard.

Ghengis made peace with him but this doesnt change anything. Greece has 4 cities left and i want to take maybe 2 of them.
    I got some HA's so theres no reason to not go after him. I will allso gain some military diplo, bonuses.

Well hes not happy with it :)... life is brutal.
    Another reason why i attacked him is that Khmer and Stalin doesnt have Feudalism yet and theres no risk for now that he can vassal to one of them.

I think i will tarde compas for Aste, i rly need Lit for He and NE. HE i probably bulid in one of costal cities so i will be able to produce Carracks a lot faster,
    And i need a lot of them for chain.
    Going Machinery Optics.

I captured 1 city of Greece allrdy, hope i will be able to get 1 more, problem is that he have WE's :undecide:, well i go for it anyway.
    1AD CS so its not bad i think iam out of truble for now.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Chieftain

Good move stopping Stalin from trading with Gilgamesh. That felt like a Berlin Blockade sort-of-thing going on. XD
    Do AIs war this much on Deity?
    Portugal seems to gear towards world expansion - what-with the settler/worker production boosts and this UU. Getting onto the ocean is a must. ;)

11. diegobueno

diegobueno Chieftain

you should watch az longplay

also i have some problems to see your pics, maybe its me idk...[/MEDIA]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  12. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

Spoiler :

Depends who, here we have 2 big warmogers - Stalin and Genghis Khan, and 2 i would say semi warmogers like Gilgesh and Sury.
    I dont know but v often from my expirience Gilgesh is attacking like rly out of nowhere.
    Sury is a guy which if he doesnt like some1 he will go after him, or even if one is hes neighbor, one cannot feal safe unless hes pleased.
    Then you can beg something from him or something.

I saw it couple of times its my favourite game of AZ like its rly amezing.
    I try to update this pic later but ... idk whats the problem with it when i was posting everything was looking good.

13. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

update.
    Spoiler :

its 1000AD. Didnt make an update becouse tbh... i though this is lost game.
    Well many things happend. After i took this city from Greece he shown up next turn with decent stack better then mine with WE's and i just couldnt def it.
    I moved away from there. Couple of turns later he Cap to Khmer and war was over. Didnt manage to get anything from it.

Good thing was ( i thought so) Stalin was free :mischief:, and ... yea genius plan, bribe him against Gilgesh with CS.
    Stalin was at war, he had decend stack but...

This ends up a disaster for me. Gilgesh took hes 2 blocking cities, on top of that Stalin gets out of war beocuse of AP Vote :cry:.
    I thought that game is over i couldnt repel hes stack (pikes, maces,x-bows,cats) only with HA's no metal hurts me rly bad.

The only option to make a peace with him was giving away Tatar to him, 760 :gold: and 50:gold:/turn :woohoo:
    I did it.

This is present day.

In general i think ive made mistake i should have take this barb city which you c on foto with carrack chain. and just trade this city not Tatar to Gilgesh but oh well.
    Maybe i could buy some metal as well but yea its kind of ifi.

Carrack or Galeon chain is a tactic which allows you to send units in 1 turn ( 2 units for Carracks, 3 for Galeons) to the new Land.
    Its tactic which was exploited by WastinTime i belive ... at least i know it from him.

Like here i transport LB and Settler in 1T if not that probably out barb friends would set me up even more behind ...

Khmer is plotting a war but i beg him little gold so i think hes not going after me... i hope.
    And i was preety sure that Glilgesh is plotting against me .. that would be just game over but.

He go after Stalin.
    :clap: well iam still fighting :rockon:.

I show you tech race ... race what a race i didnt tech allmuoust anything after this i just didnt have a money.
    Went for Optics paper and thats all now Astro for :traderoute:.

I dont know will i manage to recover but, looks like i have some time for it.
    Game is like ultra hard now, but maybe i can do it. If only i will manage to settle like 10-15 cities in New World until lets say 1500AD and develop them quite good, and maybe found some corps...:think:... this will be possible.
    I will just nuke everybody , Tanks and Nukes tahts the only plan

Attached Files:

14. pandamancer

pandamancer Chieftain

Played this game last night. Because I really dont have much time so I would be updating this in smaller turnsets.

Deity until 2000BC
    Spoiler :

Moved my warrior 1NW to see if there is something special. indeed there are two sugars and one banana. After some consideration, I decided to settle 1NW of the starting location. I forgot you could settle on the banana for +1 :food:. rusty.... rusty....

Tech path is agriculture > BW > wheel > pottery. Next step is mysticism. I delay AH because there is a rice resource for my next two spots. The 2nd city is 4S6E
    and 3rd city is 8S2E of the capital. Although the maintenance would kill you early on, I think it is still a sound decision because it prevents barbs from spawning near the southern forest and prevents gilgs and stalin from settling too close from you. Once the border pops. I could delay my expansion for my fourth(5E) and fifth (4N3E) cities since these spots are not reachable by the AI unless I grant them open borders.

As for the AIs, I met all of them. The only concern is stalin showing the red fist while not having any strategic resources yet. I considered to beeline archery before but I doubt it gonna help. Fingers crossed until the next update.

15. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

update
    Spoiler :

Eh they didnt gave me a chance that is my 1st time lost to the AI becouse of AP vote... shame :sad:
    Iam sad, i was rly belveing that i will be able to nuke them.
    Settled 3 cities in NW 2 more settlers was there allrdy and i was bulding another 2.
    I could have ezy 15 cities there... well.

16. pandamancer

pandamancer Chieftain

Update until 250BC

Spoiler :

Not much happening here. Judaism, Hinduism and Buddhism spread to three of my cities. However, I cannot adopt either one of the religions as it means negative diplo penalty on one of the warmongers. Additionally, I am really militarily weak without horses initially (0.2 even compared with Mansa). I tried not to open borders so as a result research suffers.

Tech path is AH > Writing > Aesthetics (for trade bait). After discovering horses, I put a city south relative to the capital. The research rate is 0%, so I depend on running scientist to finish Aesthetics. Finished it by 250BC.

So this is my territory so far.

Meanwhile some AIs are killing each other even of the same religion: Sury declared at Orange; Stalin declared at Mansa. I would be trying to avoid wars as much as possible. We will see if there will be iron. If not, I would be needing feudalism + construction to be safe from DoW. Until then exploration to other island will have to wait. Maybe getting meditation and construct shwedagon paya for free religion to get out of this religious mess? From the way it looks like the religions are evenly divided into three.

Let's see how far I can go on in this charade :mischief:

17. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Played to 325 BC so far, needed a break from crazy isolation maps.

Spoiler :

Tech Agri -> BW -> Wheel -> Pottery -> Writing

Settled on Banana for quicker start, warrior fogbusts my 2nd city location to avoid ugly barb city spawn. Also don't want any barb archers in my back if possible (yup I didn't forget to add starting techs to barbs... ok I did, but remembered it after 10 turns and replayed early enough).

And soon I am save from that direction at least. Can already see city #2 and #3, very safe. Will have to push out soon though.

Grew capital to size 4 on warriors and chop/whipped a settler. Nice overflow. Imp is really one of my favorite traits, so underrated. Especially on maps like this.

And being Joao, the overflow almost finishes the worker :D.

2120 BC and I have 3 cities. Can also start cottaging. I see enough land for a peaceful game. 6 good cities easily.

I wanted a city in the west, but Pericles was faster. So I push down south instead. Rice everywhere! Going Aesthetics for trade bait as usual. No marble is a shame though. No gold either.

Getting a library into a city without hammers like this. Future GP farm, don't have much better sadly. Unless I want to use the capital, which will be busy with cottages though.

First GS will come from Oporto though.

Cities #5 and #6 in all their beauty... culture battle with Giggles will be fun.

Gifted a city to Stalin quite early so he jumped to Pleased. Felt a lot safer that way. Also a nice aspect of IMP, it's really quite cheap to do.

Instead of building academy, I bulbed Philo with the first GS. Unfortunately I wasn't first, but I wanted to run Paci as soon as possible (and of course try to be first, which didn't happen :( ). Academy will come in a few turns though. Still think it's better this way.

I am in Buddhism, together with Giggles, Willem and Genghis. Stalin is in Judaism, but he doesn't care much for religion and is pleased because of the city gift (also accepted his state religion when he demanded it, switched again later). Pericles is in his own religion, but he is a wimp and quite busy with Genghis anyway. After HR kicks in, I should be relatively safe from Giggles, who is really the only danger here.

Capital:

Tech situation:

Empire... note the MVP city in the far east. Because why not.

Never played Terra, but I think I'll just focus on this continent. Play like normal pangaea type game. No iron though, so maybe I'll try to find that in the "new world". Rifles+Trebs work aswell though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  18. Lain

Lain Chieftain

1 AD

Spoiler :

Have monopoly on Civil Service and Paper. Only one guy has Philosophy. Now going for a quick Compass (also potential monopoly), while waiting for a GS to partially bulb Education. Might be the last bulb for the time being, won't be in time for Lib bulb and I will grow my cities now, to make a golden age more attractive. Try to push the empire towards max bpt now. Dream is to lib Rifling, not sure it will work. Probably not. Hope I can be there early enough.

Diplo situation is quite safe. My empire is being defended by 6 warriors and 8 workers. Only concern is that a few AIs seem to have more land than I would like. But that in addition to constant fighting also slows them down. Don't think any of them will settle the "New World" too soon. I will probably make a colony overseas and just send cheap settlers. Literally send 10 settlers and liberalize the cities. Have a vassal deal with maintenance costs and all that crap. So I get +happy and the resources. Meanwhile I conquer the old world. Will see how that plan goes...

Caste System is super strong, by the way. About the culture battle with Giggles... I got a quick 100+ culture by running artists. I will almost certainly keep the Rice now because of how culture mechanics work. Unless he gets the Sistine Chapel etc I am fine.

Also going to do the same thing here. CRE Deity AI? No problem at all.

19. Lain

Lain Chieftain

Fun game :) 1000 AD

Spoiler :

Quick Compass->Optics while waiting for GS. Ready to settle the New World!

Found new shores fairly soon :)

As you can see, quite expensive and no trade routes. So I will make a colony and let Deity AI figure it out :D. But need 3 cities on a landmass for forming colony...

Like so

Hi! But not good, most people won't like him at first. I sent Buddhist Missionary so he can be in Buddhism asap. That should help.

Still a lot of fighting going on. Had to take Chemistry with Lib (best monopoly tech available). Hoping to find Iron in the New World and get it from Roosi. Will see monster Rifles/Cannon action here.

And finally, some Iron is found! Now just need to get Astro somehow.

Rushing to Economics to steal this from Mansa aswell :)

Most guys won't trade with me anymore (WFYABTA), but Roosi managed to make his first trade :). And this way I can get new techs anyway.

Tech situation:

Russia capped Pericles and Mansa peace-vassaled... to Gilga. Who doesn't even like him, don't quite understand, but ok. Stalin got Rifling :eek:, but generally a bit behind in tech. Will probably be my first target. That's why:

I keep sending settlers (and now workers, to get him going). Some pro city placement there... Already ruined 1x clam and 1x horse for him :D :( Scouting fail.

My own empire... GM is waiting, so lots of gold in the bank still. In 5 turns I'll get a GP and start a GA. Want to get at least two more GMs. Then I build 25 trebs and upgrade. Rifles will be drafted from all cities, Globe Theatre is up soon.

I am curious when Roosi will start becoming useful. Want to make him a beast with 15+ cities. Only Willem has Astro so far, so all the land is waiting for me.

Nice touch that I popped America for the New World aswell. Sid has a nice sense of humour. At least he didn't screw me with Lincoln. Roosi is decent.

Attached Files:

20. yyeah

yyeah Chieftain

Looks guys like you have preety nice attemtps to this one, here.
    @Lain ~200:science: is preety good with
    Spoiler :
    this land
    Spoiler :
    Whats your plan you want to settle cities for Rosi and do you want to leave him by hes own to do that ?