1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Jobs IRL

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by daheat43, Apr 13, 2018.

1. daheat43

daheat43 Chieftain

I've noticed that people on here have some good qualities that are kind of rare, especially rare when found together: Good communicators in the face of varying opinions, super organized and disciplined in thinking.

So I'm wondering what you all do in real life? Are your jobs civ-like, or is this an outlet for skills/interests that don't find use elsewhere?

I've tried a bunch of stuff and am now doing social work -- so Civ is pretty different than my work days.

SammyKhalifa likes this.
  2. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

I dare say it isn't. I'm a barman in my boring life where I somehow have to feed kids and cats. Our work is very similar. I'd bet that many here are in a "social" business...well, at least the ones best versed in communication...

Abraxis likes this.
  3. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Chieftain

computational chemistry PhD student. I micromanage numbers all day. And then I go to work. heyooo

Inlex and kaspergm like this.
  4. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

I almost lurker around. I'm a degree student in education. Major in IT and is interested in art.

5. Lanthar

Lanthar SPQR

I'm a software architect. I've been designing and building a system that connects all the other systems in my company together, and provides an aggregated production workflow to standardize how orders come in.

An important part of my job is talking with people with greatly varying degrees of technology experience, and be able to understand what they need to be more efficient so I can find a solution. Unfortunately, negotiating with the AI in diplomacy in Civ is like communicating with those software systems...it's all nice and regular, like negotiating with a spreadsheet, until Gandhi nukes you..

tedhebert and CPWimmer like this.
  6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Technician. I troubleshoot and fix problems both mechanical and electronic. Mostly electronic as technology has evolved. It's an easy job, and perhaps I am underachieving. Speaking of communication, that is my weak area, and what's really holding me back from truly excelling in life. Working with technology doesn't require much in the way of face to face communication thankfully. Good for shy people like me.

I'll try to relate this to civ so as to not veer into off topic. My work really is nothing like civ games. I'm actually glad I don't work in a field like IT. I wouldn't want to mess with computers all day and then come home and be on the computer. Computer knowledge definitely helps in my profession of course. Civ games aren't particularly difficult, but most people don't have patience and discipline for these types of games. Civ really is just moving units around and understanding combat rules and movement rules, and setting short term and long term goals. My job is nothing like that. If something breaks, I fix it. Long term planning isn't required for my job. If I was a manager, however, that would be different. But I can't be a manager because of my lack of communication skills.

7. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

I've been a PhD student, French teacher, archive assistant, admin assistant and researcher for the Oxford English Dictionary. Now I work in academic publishing for a company producing online collections of digitised historical documents. I don't think it has all that much value either here or in Civ. I do have a lot of meetings but they are broadly the sort of meetings where everyone agrees with each other :lol:

8. Tech Osen

Tech Osen Chieftain

I'm a shepherd, I excel at keeping those sheep inside the fence!

Inlex, cinattra, Danthor and 4 others like this.
  9. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

I'm an MA student in archaeology.

10. unpossible251

unpossible251 Chieftain

work in community development - teacher trainer in remote indonesia. relates to civ? sorta. i like the essentially positive, non nihilistic philosophy of the game. Plus, it gets frustrating as hell out here so its nice to be fed pellets by a skinner box :D

BenZL43 likes this.
  11. AvianBritish

AvianBritish Chieftain

The United Kingdom of the British Isle & Atlantic
    IT assistant, working on a helpdesk answering emails and phone calls and asking them to turn it off and on again. But anything related to generic software and hardware.

12. pietro1990

pietro1990 Chieftain

Accountant if that makes me good at civ i don't know

13. Jokobro

Jokobro Chieftain

I am a constructor, and yes i build many workers. I love to build stuff ingame, irl kinda same, i study on my days off. Whatever i feel like, Religion, Culture, Science, Arts, Music...
    I lack the discipline to study at school, ive tried and all i got was a big debt. Screw you school, i study anyways!

Bosque and agonistes like this.
  14. MaryKB

MaryKB Chieftain

Some of you have such interesting work!

I am VP for fraud analytics at a large bank. Not much help for newer civ games, but maybe I'm like one of those people fighting down corruption in civs 1 and 2?

I'm in my home office and choose my hours, so it does give me plenty of time to play civ and read message boards I guess?

Karpius, tobapuw, Lanthar and 2 others like this.
  15. Karmah

Karmah Chieftain Supporter

I am what we know call a data scientist. I've been a machine learning afficionado for 20 years now (did my PhD on the field fifteen years ago). My everyday work is a mix between organizing a data team , defining product features for data intelligence products and actually coding/training part of the product. When I'm not doing at work , I'm also part of an initiative to mutualize AI offers and make it accessible to 'the people' especially small to medium companies in a set-up more collaborative than commercial. I'm also a father of two. Which makes my Civ gaming time drastically short. Hopefully I have a gaming wife (she has 1.6k hours in civ6 and counting) and this forum to keep up with news (you could say I'm a vicarious civ player) .

Lanthar and MaryKB like this.
  16. historix69

historix69 Chieftain

I studied natural science (mathematics and physics) and work as software developer / tester. History (including military, economical and technical history) and games with these themes are my hobby.

Lanthar likes this.
  17. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Former patent attorney, now at home with my kids.

The moderators on this forum do an excellent job helping keep the discussion civil, which, IMO, encourages people to be more organized and thoughtful in the presentation of their perspectives.

Duuk and Arent11 like this.
  18. Roy P Cat

Roy P Cat Chieftain

I actually play Civ because of my job. I work on ships around the Pacific Rim and as such Civ is a way to pass the time between ports which are generally weeks at a time.

19. Vrenir

Vrenir Chieftain

High school English and history teacher, transitioning into a technical writing career this summer.

20. Jarhead60

Jarhead60 Chieftain

RETIRED....after 20 years in the Marines (Intel), 10 years in corporate America (working as a trainer/manager), then three years teaching intensive math for 7th and 8th grade.