Jobs IRL

I'm a PhD candidate in political science, defend my dissertation in the fall. Looking to end up at a small, teaching-focused liberal arts university... I specialize in nationalism, development and marginalization (I specialize in comparative politics, have an MA in international development). Absolutely love teaching, find most of the research tiresome at best.

I should add I served 8 years in the Navy working nuclear plants. If anything that has big influence with me getting into civ2 in the 90s. True wargames always seemed too technical, but civ games seem to strike the right balance between warfare and building.

PhD student (to be done this Fall) in Engineering (though my focus is what can be called 'Data Science').

IT dude for a University in the U.S. I support about 600 people in the department of chemistry. I do a little bit of everything, but suffice it to say there is a lot of face-to-face interactions and troubleshooting...

I'm a landscape architect. The field entails designing things like parks, plazas, shopping centers and various other forms of urban devlopment; national monuments, fountains, pools, home gardens, and explaining to people that we are neither landscapers nor building architects and that we cannot deliver mulch to your house.

Frederick Law Olmsted was an early member of the profession in the US, and a renaissance man; he played a major role in developing the suburban landscape of the US, as well as the national park system and the conservation movement, and famously was half of the team that designed New York City's Central Park. His appearance in a Civ game should probably happen sooner rather than later.

I'm in my home office and choose my hours, so it does give me plenty of time to play civ and read message boards I guess?

I work from home 2-3 days a week (which is nice, since I live about a 90 minute drive from where the company is located), and I enjoy keeping Civ up all day when I have a game going, and just switching back and forth as time and circumstance allow.

I take the specifications from the customers and I bring them down to the software engineers
I have people skills!

Where are you at my job? I have to extract their confessions ("We're already doing XXX, right? Because I told the client we do"), I mean, gather the requirements myself!

I guess the biggest correlation between Civilization games and my job is long term planning and software rules manipulation/engine building. I am fairly specialized in building very flexible and fast software systems that can handle the customization needs of our clients, so I tend to build empires that can compete for several victory conditions, depending on how the game goes.

I studied natural science (mathematics and physics) and work as software developer / tester. History (including military, economical and technical history) and games with these themes are my hobby.

Are you my clone? Because this is literally me

MD (internal medicine and intensive care) and univesity teacher, also with a little side dish of entrepreneurship... I'm seeing a lot of us are teachers!

Been playing Civ from CivI on a 286 around 1994, when I was 12 YO
Nowadays, since I don't have that much free time to play, I usually read the strategies here on civfanatics and employ them, but usually play with cheats (mostly a lot of free gold from the beginning) just to roleplay..

(Edit 1: added my area on medicine)
(Edit 2: added how long I've been on Civ)
(Edit 3: added how I usually play these days)

Last edited:
I currently do video coding full-time in my city's main post terminal. It's just something I'm gonna keep up until the end of July before going back to university in the Fall though

I'm an IT professional in a large Cooperative company that operates in the field of banking and insurances mainly.

After 30 years going from programmer and tester to analyst to team managing to Enterprise Architecture, I've finally settled as an application architect
in the fields of payments and core banking. I help advise all the IT and business execs to map out where we should be going in the next 3 to 5 years
with our business solutions.

in about 2-3 years, I will be a retired IT professional ;-)

Data Warehouse Developer/Data Engineer at the moment. Started at as a web developer many moons ago (after an undergrad BA focusing on medieval European history), left tech for a decade to wander around the world as a hostel worker/bartender/EFL teacher (depending on the location). Came back to tech when I decided it might be time to worry about 401k/health insurance/etc., and it turned out SQL hadn't changed in a decade, so I was good to go.

Former patent attorney, now at home with my kids.

I'll add that I played civ I in high school, civ II in college, civ III in law school, didn't have time to play while working at a big law firm, wasn't excited by what I saw of civ V, and decided to pick up civ VI with a gift card just before it came out. I anticipate working full time again (field undecided) in a few years and missing civ VII, and maybe getting into civ VIII after the kids are in college?

Top Bottom