Joe Biden's Achievements

Already is!
Well, getting it descheduled would still be pretty huge (we’ll see if he follows through on that), but the mass pardoning will free literally zero people lol.

Someone hit me with the Lucy football meme.
getting it rescheduled could mean fda approval for each weed product

Isn't cannabis one of the few drugs actually criminalized in law by congress rather than by executive fiat?
It is contraband by international treaty. To decriminalize, US must withdraw from or defy treaty.

It is contraband by international treaty. To decriminalize, US must withdraw from or defy treaty.
Ah. So the idiots in the Senate. Either way, legislative work. Since it's so great when the executive simply disregards rule of law.

Wouldn't that be...good
A whole lot of it depends. I don't want only big companies and large investments to be able to afford to innovate on weed products.

Does the average republican voter still feel that cannabis use and possession should lead to punitive actions from law enforcements? My impression is that there has been a shift in attitude across the board but IDK?

Depends on where you are. Applies to those who tend to vote Democrat as well.

Depends on where. The Democrats and the Republicans overlap enough on who wants legal weed and who wants illegal weed that it's all a crapshoot. The People's Republic of Minnesota can't get anything passed, the Republicans in Illinois are mostly checked out on the issue or on board or in opposition because our legalization is a crony government run **** scheme. Ask the age of the voters, not the party.

The Republicans will legalize it better where they get the reigns, the Democrats seem to favor good old boys government rent collection. But there is overlap there, too. When Illinois legalized weed, they tax it so hard and slam the means of production so fully, that it gave the black market room to increase its prices.

It's not like it's food poisoning. It's not contagious when you smoke or vape hallucinogens. A free market usually provides bougey product niches.

I don't want to get poisoned
And you have managed so far, presumably mostly consuming products without FDA certification.

And you have managed so far, presumably mostly consuming products without FDA certification.

I mean, maybe? I've vaped before, and I dunno how good that is for you. But mostly I stick with things I'm familiar with so I can (mostly) know what's in them.

I'm not opposed, in principle, to regulating cannabis products for public safety is all I'm saying.

It would also be an interesting experiment in that we could see if people will move to other stuff or not: is the point the drug, or is it the transgressive thrill?

Did cigarettes get more popular as they became taboo? Legalization increases use from everything I can tell.

Did cigarettes get more popular as they became taboo? Legalization increases use from everything I can tell.

Cigarette use has definitely gone down with social pressure; I think making them illegal would lead to more young people using them but that's just a hunch.

What Can We Learn From The Portuguese Decriminalization of Illicit Drugs?
October 2010 British Journal of Criminology 50(3)

The issue of decriminalizing illicit drugs is hotly debated, but is rarely subject to evidence-based analysis. This paper examines the case of Portugal, a nation that decriminalized the use and possession of all illicit drugs on 1 July 2001. Drawing upon independent evaluations and interviews conducted with 13 key stakeholders in 2007 and 2009, it critically analyses the criminal justice and health impacts against trends from neighbouring Spain and Italy. It concludes that contrary to predictions, the Portuguese decriminalization did not lead to major increases in drug use. Indeed, evidence indicates reductions in problematic use, drug-related harms and criminal justice overcrowding. The article discusses these developments in the context of drug law debates and criminological discussions on late modern governance.​

What Can We Learn From The Portuguese Decriminalization of Illicit Drugs?
October 2010 British Journal of Criminology 50(3)

The issue of decriminalizing illicit drugs is hotly debated, but is rarely subject to evidence-based analysis. This paper examines the case of Portugal, a nation that decriminalized the use and possession of all illicit drugs on 1 July 2001. Drawing upon independent evaluations and interviews conducted with 13 key stakeholders in 2007 and 2009, it critically analyses the criminal justice and health impacts against trends from neighbouring Spain and Italy. It concludes that contrary to predictions, the Portuguese decriminalization did not lead to major increases in drug use. Indeed, evidence indicates reductions in problematic use, drug-related harms and criminal justice overcrowding. The article discusses these developments in the context of drug law debates and criminological discussions on late modern governance.​

Hard drugs are a different conversation than weed and cigarettes.

Cigarette use has definitely gone down with social pressure; I think making them illegal would lead to more young people using them but that's just a hunch.
They still aren't going to be overtly allowed to get high and/or screw under the bleachers and/or in the car. It'll still have that appeal to the youth. Old farts seem to be willing to trade whatever counter culture cool is left for being an upstanding citizen.

Top Bottom