Joe Wilson, great American hero ?

Holycannoli said:
EDIT: And here's a big thorn in the side of everyone pushing for enforcement of illegals in the bill: What's to stop Obama from giving amnesty? Sure, the bill might actually prevent illegals from getting government funding, but he can just give them amnesty and a fast track to citizenship, giving them access to our reformed health care and a nice voter base for his reelection.
Then they wouldn't be illegal immigrants, thus making your point moot.

Then they wouldn't be illegal immigrants, thus making your point moot.

Not moot if one feels that those here illegally should NEVER be granted citizenship, but rather rounded up, blacklisted, and sent back to Norway, Mexico, Canada, Nigeria, Russia, China, or wherever they came from. Punishment for pissing on our country by entering illegally.

Joe Wilson, good man.

Hero? No.

Superman wouldn't call the President a liar during his speech. Superman would wait for a world crisis like global warming and before cooling the planet with his ice breath would require an admission of guilt from the President...

I'm guessing what Superman would do.

TBH, though, a true hero pursues action over petty word battles. A true hero wouldn't waste time calling the President a liar. A true hero can storm out of a joint session and go draft a bill that works and bring it back for rumination. But a man that is only good will call from the pigeon roost and then later bow his head, damage done.

"Mercy is the mark of a great man.
(stabs Atherton)
Guess I'm just a good man.
(stabs Atherton again)
Well, I'm alright."

Sigh is right. It's already been shown that that did not prevent illegals from obtaining health coverage, allowed for too many loopholes, and enforcement was purposely left out of the bill.

What good is saying illegals can't get coverage, if you have no way to enforce it? Our other social institutions have ways of enforcing it.

That's why they worked on closing those loopholes and adding enforcement to the bill (which won't pass anyway). So you can quote that little part that says illegals can't get affordability credits all you want, because it does not mean what you think it means. Some people even call them "insurance subsidies", and that is closer to the truth than you may think.

I'd quote the actual part of the bill pertaining to affordability credits, but it's damned confusing.

Sigh

I think the illegal immigrant issue is more of a distraction and a delaying tactic than it is an actual objection. Call it a misdirection maybe. They need something to attack, and can't attack on the merits of the proposals, or perhaps they could, but that it would be difficult and require an appeal to reason rather than emotion. So they attack on this because it's an appeal to emotion. The one thing conservative operators have mastered the best is staying on message and hammering simplistic points to gain a victory.

Ah, you believe any one who has kids in a combat zone is a hero, ok, strange beliefs some of you conservatives have.

When did you lefties decide that those who served in wars were actually heroes?
Wasn't our side spitting on returning soldiers. It was yours.

Not moot if one feels that those here illegally should NEVER be granted citizenship, but rather rounded up, blacklisted, and sent back to Norway, Mexico, Canada, Nigeria, Russia, China, or wherever they came from. Punishment for pissing on our country by entering illegally.

You know that one of the core parts of capitalism is the free migration of labor, right? Labor has to be able to move to new markets in order to achieve maximum allocative efficiency, so such migrations should be in the best interests of everyone, provided Ricardo is correct, which I believe you believe him to be.

I support opening up immigration and allowing many more in, Cheezy. I have stated this time and time again. But while the law states otherwise, they should abide by it.

Well, Joe Wilson's ploy worked. He is now relatively well known and is raking in the dough.

I predict a run for the South Carolina governorship.

Idiotic electorate they will elect him if he did run. I would make light of the 2 million he got as further evidence of the idiocy of a considerable sum of the electorate, but in this day and age 2 million is a drop in the bucket.

Oh, and the reason I believe a gubernatorial run is probable is because he is blocked by two Republican senators, so the senate is not an option.

You know, if it wasn't illegal in many context to ask for ID(some form of ID's illegal can't get "drivers licenses") people wouldn't make such a stink about it.....nah, yea they would. lol

but still, it would make me feel better.

ER services are not going to ask,...(for good reason)

So now who gets health care? Do permanent residents?, work visa???

My biggest worry is the people who think you shouldn't need a ID to vote are policing illegals getting health care (c'mon you know who you are)...

Well, Joe Wilson's ploy worked. He is now relatively well known and is raking in the dough.

I predict a run for the South Carolina governorship.

Idiotic electorate they will elect him if he did run. I would make light of the 2 million he got as further evidence of the idiocy of a considerable sum of the electorate, but in this day and age 2 million is a drop in the bucket.

Oh, and the reason I believe a gubernatorial run is probable is because he is blocked by two Republican senators, so the senate is not an option.

If I recall correctly his opponent in the Democrats has received a good amount of funding now as well.

Sigh is right. It's already been shown that that did not prevent illegals from obtaining health coverage, allowed for too many loopholes, and enforcement was purposely left out of the bill.

What good is saying illegals can't get coverage, if you have no way to enforce it? Our other social institutions have ways of enforcing it.

That's why they worked on closing those loopholes and adding enforcement to the bill (which won't pass anyway). So you can quote that little part that says illegals can't get affordability credits all you want, because it does not mean what you think it means. Some people even call them "insurance subsidies", and that is closer to the truth than you may think.

I'd quote the actual part of the bill pertaining to affordability credits, but it's damned confusing.

EDIT: And here's a big thorn in the side of everyone pushing for enforcement of illegals in the bill: What's to stop Obama from giving amnesty? Sure, the bill might actually prevent illegals from getting government funding, but he can just give them amnesty and a fast track to citizenship, giving them access to our reformed health care and a nice voter base for his reelection.

Don't trust these sons of . .. .. .. .. .es in Washington!

I don't they are fargin iceholes!

When did you lefties decide that those who served in wars were actually heroes?
Wasn't our side spitting on returning soldiers. It was yours.

So you would agree there should have been NO exemptions for conservative or any other types being drafted instead of hiding in college ?

So you would agree there should have been NO exemptions for conservative or any other types being drafted instead of hiding in college ?

Does that look like what I said to you? Because...it really doesn't look anything like it to me. What I said was that our side didn't spit on the troops. Your side did. Your protesters are the ones who march with signs encouraging people to "shoot the troops." Ours are the ones with the signs that say, "support the troops." So you tell me which side supports its heroes more. Your side, which encourages Americans to criticize, spit on and even shoot our troops, or Joe Wilson, who is currently supporting his own children who serve in the military.

Does that look like what I said to you? Because...it really doesn't look anything like it to me. What I said was that our side didn't spit on the troops. Your side did. Your protesters are the ones who march with signs encouraging people to "shoot the troops." Ours are the ones with the signs that say, "support the troops." So you tell me which side supports its heroes more. Your side, which encourages Americans to criticize, spit on and even shoot our troops, or Joe Wilson, who is currently supporting his own children who serve in the military.

Uh, otago isn't even American, so what the hell does him supporting American troops or not have to do with anything?

Uh, otago isn't even American, so what the hell does him supporting American troops or not have to do with anything?

Oops! ::blush::

If I recall correctly his opponent in the Democrats has received a good amount of funding now as well.

About half of what Wilson received. Honestly, in a district such as his, it isn't going to help, especially with the populist fervor circulating around down in South Carolina.

Top Bottom