Resource icon

Johan de Witt's The Netherlands v1.101

CharZ

Chieftain
CharZ submitted a new resource:

Johan de Witt's The Netherlands - Johan de Witt leads The Netherlands as the Grand Pensionary of Holland

Play as Johan de Witt as you lead The Netherlands in this mod.

Planned Features for the Final Version:
Leader: Johan de Witt
Unique District: VOC Have (Harbor replacement. Available at currency; Provides an extra trade route, Great Scientist points, Great Artist points, and better adjacency bonuses)
Unique Improvement: Windmill (+1 food and +2 production to tile. +1 food per...

Read more about this resource...

First I'm glad there is at least one modded Dutch Civ for VI and I hope the art will be coming soon. Especially since I don't have the knowledge and time to make it myself and mostly use a renamed other modded civ for the dutch to have them at least in the game :).
Your unique districts, Improvements and the Abilities etc. sound all fine to me. I have to check in game if they are overpowered or not.

As a Dutchman myself I have a few notes though after looking through your files.
1) You call the unique harbor district "VOC Have". In modern dutch it's written as "Haven" (harbor) even if in some dialects the "n" isn't pronounced it should be there.
2) The city list is missing all big important cities (except Amsterdam) from the provinces in North and South Holland, Utrecht, Zeeland, Friesland, Overijssel and Limburg.
Your city list starts off with Assen, Coevorden, Emmen, Hoogeveen and Meppel (all from one of the least inhabited provinces in the north of the country, "Drenthe"), of which maybe only Assen and Emmen could be on the list but much lower.
Then you go on with Almere, Lelystad (both fine but they should be at the bottom of the list as they both are only 50 years old) and two other places from Flevoland (the youngest and mostly man made "polder" province). Then you throw in some places from Gelderland (Arnhem, Apeldoorn), North Brabant ('s- Hertogenbosch, Eindhoven, Waalwijk, Veldhoven) and Groningen (Groningen, Stadskanaal) and call it quits. Seeing this I presume you are from Drenthe yourself and this should be fine for self use of the mod but as this is a download for an international audience; cities as Rotterdam (2nd NL city and biggest Harbor of Europe), The Hague (3rth NL city and houses the Government, as well as the Int.Court of Justice and is the resident of the King) , Utrecht (4rth NL city and founded by the Romans) and some of the other Roman founded cites of Nijmegen and Maastricht should all be on top of the list.
Also historical and mostly bigger cities like Haarlem, Leiden, Vlissingen (Flushing), Zwolle, Leeuwarden, Alkmaar, Breda, Tilburg, Enschede, Delft, Gouda, Venlo, Zaanstad, Dordrecht and Kampen should be there too. Personally I would would even put some colonial cities like Willemstad, Oranjestad and Batavia towards the end.

First I'm glad there is at least one modded Dutch Civ for VI and I hope the art will be coming soon. Especially since I don't have the knowledge and time to make it myself and mostly use a renamed other modded civ for the dutch to have them at least in the game :).
Your unique districts, Improvements and the Abilities etc. sound all fine to me. I have to check in game if they are overpowered or not.

As a Dutchman myself I have a few notes though after looking through your files.
1) You call the unique harbor district "VOC Have". In modern dutch it's written as "Haven" (harbor) even if in some dialects the "n" isn't pronounced it should be there.
2) The city list is missing all big important cities (except Amsterdam) from the provinces in North and South Holland, Utrecht, Zeeland, Friesland, Overijssel and Limburg.
Your city list starts off with Assen, Coevorden, Emmen, Hoogeveen and Meppel (all from one of the least inhabited provinces in the north of the country, "Drenthe"), of which maybe only Assen and Emmen could be on the list but much lower.
Then you go on with Almere, Lelystad (both fine but they should be at the bottom of the list as they both are only 50 years old) and two other places from Flevoland (the youngest and mostly man made "polder" province). Then you throw in some places from Gelderland (Arnhem, Apeldoorn), North Brabant ('s- Hertogenbosch, Eindhoven, Waalwijk, Veldhoven) and Groningen (Groningen, Stadskanaal) and call it quits. Seeing this I presume you are from Drenthe yourself and this should be fine for self use of the mod but as this is a download for an international audience; cities as Rotterdam (2nd NL city and biggest Harbor of Europe), The Hague (3rth NL city and houses the Government, as well as the Int.Court of Justice and is the resident of the King) , Utrecht (4rth NL city and founded by the Romans) and some of the other Roman founded cites of Nijmegen and Maastricht should all be on top of the list.
Also historical and mostly bigger cities like Haarlem, Leiden, Vlissingen (Flushing), Zwolle, Leeuwarden, Alkmaar, Breda, Tilburg, Enschede, Delft, Gouda, Venlo, Zaanstad, Dordrecht and Kampen should be there too. Personally I would would even put some colonial cities like Willemstad, Oranjestad and Batavia towards the end.
Hey fellow Dutchman!
The list of names is literally in order from Wikipedia. I just wanted to get it functional so a lot of polishing still needs to be done. I'm from North Brabant myself but moved away when I was young, this has sadly led to a decrease in my Dutch grammar and vocab, along with Dutch history and geography.

I've always said it 'Have' but 'Haven' makes more sense, and I'll definitely throw in a few more Colony names for cities as well. Thanks for your feedback :)

As I said I am already happy with a mod for a dutch civ and always happy to help with dutch knowledge.
I don't know what wikipedia site you looked at but here is my list which I used and overwrote yours in the files with. Probably every Dutchman has his own preferences but mine tries to be a mixture of historical importance and modern "bigger" cities and at least one city from each province.
Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague (Den Haag), Utrecht, Nijmegen, Maastricht, Groningen, Arnhem, Breda, Eindhoven, Haarlem, Zwolle, 's-Hertogenbosch, Leeuwarden, Alkmaar, Gouda, Tilburg, Delft, Enschede, Leiden, Vlissingen, Kampen, Dordrecht, Apeldoorn, Zaanstad, Venlo, Emmen, Enkhuizen, Amersfoort, Heerlen, Middelburg, Assen, Willemstad, Oranjestad, Batavia, Lelystad, Almere.

Until you have proper dutch art in game I understand you took Barbarossa as a temporarily leader-head with his sort of mix of modern and middle-ages German which is the closest to Dutch in game. Though if you forget about the language Peter including his Harbor background looks more fitting for the Dutch even if he speaks Russian. But as an icon I would go for the English crown for the time being in stead of the German cross though, which really, really doesn't fit us.

Good luck, with your mod and hope we'll see an update soon.

CharZ updated Johan de Witt's The Netherlands with a new update entry:

Icons and Names

Added an Icon for the Civilization and some new names.
There are a few issues, but it works.

Could somebody help me with this?
[546688.945] [Localization]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[546688.946] [Localization]: Passed Validation.
[546688.953] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[546688.954] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[546700.409] [FullTextSearch]: Initializing FullTextSearch
[546700.931] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints......

Read the rest of this update entry...

As I said I am already happy with a mod for a dutch civ and always happy to help with dutch knowledge.
I don't know what wikipedia site you looked at but here is my list which I used and overwrote yours in the files with. Probably every Dutchman has his own preferences but mine tries to be a mixture of historical importance and modern "bigger" cities and at least one city from each province.
Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague (Den Haag), Utrecht, Nijmegen, Maastricht, Groningen, Arnhem, Breda, Eindhoven, Haarlem, Zwolle, 's-Hertogenbosch, Leeuwarden, Alkmaar, Gouda, Tilburg, Delft, Enschede, Leiden, Vlissingen, Kampen, Dordrecht, Apeldoorn, Zaanstad, Venlo, Emmen, Enkhuizen, Amersfoort, Heerlen, Middelburg, Assen, Willemstad, Oranjestad, Batavia, Lelystad, Almere.

Until you have proper dutch art in game I understand you took Barbarossa as a temporarily leader-head with his sort of mix of modern and middle-ages German which is the closest to Dutch in game. Though if you forget about the language Peter including his Harbor background looks more fitting for the Dutch even if he speaks Russian. But as an icon I would go for the English crown for the time being in stead of the German cross though, which really, really doesn't fit us.

Good luck, with your mod and hope we'll see an update soon.

Crown doesn't exactly fit either, wouldn't you say?

I think that the Windmill is a bit overpowered at the moment, and I don't see why Currency gets the unique district and embarking when it would fit the Dutch very well to prioritize a naval tech route.

This may actually get me to play Civ 6 again. If only YnAMP support were added... For some reason civ modders seem to have dropped this habit with Civ 6. Sad!

Nicely put together!

This may actually get me to play Civ 6 again. If only YnAMP support were added... For some reason civ modders seem to have dropped this habit with Civ 6. Sad!
I understand where you're coming from with the YnAMP support, but please recognise that we're learning a new system again, so it's not always straightforward to add support at first.

I am aware of that, but Gedemon added a How To for YnAMP support here:

How to add TSL for a New Civilization mod
Spoiler :

Assuming you have a mod working, for the Giant Earth, in one of the XML files from the <UpdateDatabase> section of your .modinfo file :
HTML:
<GameInfo>
    <StartPosition>
        <Replace MapName="GiantEarth" Civilization="CIVILIZATION_YOURCIV"    X="50" Y="50" />
     </StartPosition>
</GameInfo>

and, in a SQL file loaded before the above XML in the <UpdateDatabase> :
Code:
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS StartPosition
    (    MapName TEXT,
        Civilization TEXT,
        Leader TEXT,
        X INT default 0,
        Y INT default 0);

This is to be sure that the StartPosition table exists even if your mod is loaded after YnAMP.

I am aware of that, but Gedemon added a How To for YnAMP support here:
I'll keep this in mind but I'd rather focus on getting my mod fully functional first before worrying about support. I, myself, am new to modding and this is the first mod I've ever made. It has required a lot of help to get here, which I am grateful for, and it'll definitely require more help to refine.
Although support for other mods won't be in the immediate future, it is on my to-do list.

I played half a game with your updated version of the dutch to check things out.
Here are some of my observations of mostly the visual stuff.
The Icons for the dutch did not show up in my game (still got the question mark).
Both the windmill improvement as well as the whole "VOC Haven" district appeared in game as invisible (and every building you build in the district) which make things very difficult to figure out.
Also you seem to have used the exact same colors as Australia (orange/white) and since I had them in my game too, the dutch got a weird orange/green color combination which looked awful. I suggest using a darker orange with a dark blue as a combination.
In game the leader-icon was a question mark and if I looked at my own leader-screen I saw Cleopatra. (She is the Fall back leader in game, but I know other mods were able to change her to show other leaders)

To make sure it was your mod I also had Sukritacts Siam in game and everything (Leader, Icons, Districts) were visible from that civ, so maybe check that one out or one of the JFD/Janboruta leader civs, they seem to have figured out how to get the art in game.

Since my next door neighbor was Persia in game I was in a never ending cycle of war with them.They forward settled a city between my own and then declared a surprise war, after taking that city from them they hated my guts for the rest of the game. Since I wanted a peaceful game to check things out I made peace but a few turns later they declared war again.And as the civs never seem to declare a war on their own they kept dragging every other civ (my friend/neutral/foe it didn't matter) with them in war. So basically I was at war the whole game so couldn't really check out the mechanics of the windmill and the VOC Haven, the reason I ended that game prematurely. The only thing that I'm sure about was that the extra trade route worked properly.

Oh dear...

I'll keep this in mind but I'd rather focus on getting my mod fully functional first before worrying about support. I, myself, am new to modding and this is the first mod I've ever made. It has required a lot of help to get here, which I am grateful for, and it'll definitely require more help to refine.
Although support for other mods won't be in the immediate future, it is on my to-do list.

Well, I hope more civ makers plan to do that. And good luck modding!

CharZ updated Johan de Witt's The Netherlands with a new update entry:

Latest and Greatest

I can't remember if I added anything, so I played a quick game and rezipped the files.

Known Bugs:
  • Once ingame the VOC Haven and Windmill won't appear (Help required)
  • There is no icon in the top left or in the win tab, causing said win tab to mess up (Help required)
  • Early embarking on Currency not working (Help required)

To-do:
  • Add Leader visuals
  • Add Civilization colours
  • Add Leader agenda and text
  • Balance Windmill (Ideas wanted)...

Read the rest of this update entry...

This is what my Database.log looks like. Everything is functional so should I worry or not?
Spoiler Database.log :

[692642.579] [Localization]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[692642.580] [Localization]: Passed Validation.
[692642.586] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[692642.587] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[692653.903] [FullTextSearch]: Initializing FullTextSearch
[692654.409] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[692654.422] [Gameplay]: Passed Validation.
[692654.863] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[692654.863] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[692673.401] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[692682.157] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[692684.952] [Configuration] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: Players.Domain, Players.CivilizationType, Players.LeaderType
[692684.952] [Configuration]: While executing - 'insert into Players('Domain', 'CivilizationType', 'LeaderType', 'CivilizationName', 'CivilizationIcon', 'LeaderName', 'LeaderIcon', 'CivilizationAbilityName', 'CivilizationAbilityDescription', 'CivilizationAbilityIcon', 'LeaderAbilityName', 'LeaderAbilityDescription', 'LeaderAbilityIcon', 'Portrait') values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?);'
[692684.952] [Configuration]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Players('Domain', 'CivilizationType', 'LeaderType', 'CivilizationName', 'CivilizationIcon', 'LeaderName', 'LeaderIcon', 'CivilizationAbilityName', 'CivilizationAbilityDescription', 'CivilizationAbilityIcon', 'LeaderAbilityName', 'LeaderAbilityDescription', 'LeaderAbilityIcon', 'Portrait') with values (StandardPlayers, CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS, LEADER_JOHAN_DE_WITT, LOC_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS_NAME, ICON_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS, LOC_LEADER_JOHAN_DE_WITT_NAME, ICON_LEADER_BARBAROSSA, LOC_TRAIT_CIVILIZATION_COLONIAL_TRADE_NAME, LOC_TRAIT_CIVILIZATION_COLONIAL_TRADE_DESCRIPTION, ICON_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS, LOC_TRAIT_LEADER_GOLDEN_AGE_NAME, LOC_TRAIT_LEADER_GOLDEN_AGE_DESCRIPTION, ICON_LEADER_BARBAROSSA, LEADER_FREDRICK_NEUTRAL, ).
[692684.952] [Configuration]: In XMLSerializer while updating table Players from file TheNetherlands_Config.xml.
[692684.952] [Configuration] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: Players.Domain, Players.CivilizationType, Players.LeaderType
[692684.952] [Localization] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: LocalizedText.Language, LocalizedText.Tag
[692684.952] [Localization]: While executing - 'insert into LocalizedText('Tag', 'Language', 'Text') values (?, ?, ?);'
[692684.952] [Localization]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into LocalizedText('Tag', 'Language', 'Text') with values (LOC_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS_NAME, en_US, The Netherlands, ).
[692684.952] [Localization]: In XMLSerializer while updating table LocalizedText from file TheNetherlands_ConfigText.xml.
[692684.952] [Localization] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: LocalizedText.Language, LocalizedText.Tag
[692684.955] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[692684.956] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[692692.265] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[692692.265] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[692692.956] [Gameplay] ERROR: no such table: IconTextureAtlases
[692692.956] [Gameplay]: In Query - insert into IconTextureAtlases('Name', 'IconSize', 'IconsPerRow', 'IconsPerColumn', 'Filename') values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?);
[692692.956] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table IconTextureAtlases from file TheNetherlands_Icons.xml.
[692692.990] [Gameplay]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[692693.003] [Gameplay]: Passed Validation.
[692705.266] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[692705.725] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[692706.597] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[704435.834] [FullTextSearch]: FTS - Creating Context
[704435.957] [Configuration] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: Players.Domain, Players.CivilizationType, Players.LeaderType
[704435.957] [Configuration]: While executing - 'insert into Players('Domain', 'CivilizationType', 'LeaderType', 'CivilizationName', 'CivilizationIcon', 'LeaderName', 'LeaderIcon', 'CivilizationAbilityName', 'CivilizationAbilityDescription', 'CivilizationAbilityIcon', 'LeaderAbilityName', 'LeaderAbilityDescription', 'LeaderAbilityIcon', 'Portrait') values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?);'
[704435.957] [Configuration]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Players('Domain', 'CivilizationType', 'LeaderType', 'CivilizationName', 'CivilizationIcon', 'LeaderName', 'LeaderIcon', 'CivilizationAbilityName', 'CivilizationAbilityDescription', 'CivilizationAbilityIcon', 'LeaderAbilityName', 'LeaderAbilityDescription', 'LeaderAbilityIcon', 'Portrait') with values (StandardPlayers, CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS, LEADER_JOHAN_DE_WITT, LOC_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS_NAME, ICON_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS, LOC_LEADER_JOHAN_DE_WITT_NAME, ICON_LEADER_BARBAROSSA, LOC_TRAIT_CIVILIZATION_COLONIAL_TRADE_NAME, LOC_TRAIT_CIVILIZATION_COLONIAL_TRADE_DESCRIPTION, ICON_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS, LOC_TRAIT_LEADER_GOLDEN_AGE_NAME, LOC_TRAIT_LEADER_GOLDEN_AGE_DESCRIPTION, ICON_LEADER_BARBAROSSA, LEADER_FREDRICK_NEUTRAL, ).
[704435.957] [Configuration]: In XMLSerializer while updating table Players from file TheNetherlands_Config.xml.
[704435.957] [Configuration] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: Players.Domain, Players.CivilizationType, Players.LeaderType
[704435.958] [Localization] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: LocalizedText.Language, LocalizedText.Tag
[704435.958] [Localization]: While executing - 'insert into LocalizedText('Tag', 'Language', 'Text') values (?, ?, ?);'
[704435.958] [Localization]: In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into LocalizedText('Tag', 'Language', 'Text') with values (LOC_CIVILIZATION_NETHERLANDS_NAME, en_US, The Netherlands, ).
[704435.958] [Localization]: In XMLSerializer while updating table LocalizedText from file TheNetherlands_ConfigText.xml.
[704435.958] [Localization] ERROR: UNIQUE constraint failed: LocalizedText.Language, LocalizedText.Tag
[704435.962] [Configuration]: Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[704435.962] [Configuration]: Passed Validation.
[704453.192] [FullTextSearch]: FullTextSearch - Shutting down

As a Dutchie myself it would be great to have The Netherlands in the game! I like your idea about windmills, it feels much alike the Outback Station. Maybe nerf it a little by making it +1 food/production and/or only applying the adjacency to farms on resources.

- Consider looking up a map or other information about important cities in the 16th century (either that or modern). Coevorden could have a place on the list as it was an important fortress city.
- The agenda is a bit bland, just Money Grubber. Maybe add something with refers to the Republic, like 'Likes civilizations that have the same government and make a lot of money'. Or, gold and faith and call it 'Kooplieden en dominees' ;)
- Make sure to have a good replacement for the Amsterdam city state. For his Sweden mod, Firebug changed Stockholm to Vienna (still quite fitting). Maybe Amsterdam could become Kuala Lumpur, or Kopenhagen (for instance).
- Looking forward to some nice art!

Top Bottom