Joint declarations of war

b7fanatix

Warlord
Pretty much every BNW Let's Play I've watched involves the player bribing another AI to attack the player's victim before the player declares war, partially to gain a military advantage but mainly to reduce the warmonger penalty.

Apparently, if you declare war on another civ, the warmonger penalty for the DoW is divided amongst the aggressors, so the more aggressors, the less of a penalty each gets.

To me this makes no sense, "ganging up" on a victim should not reduce the warmonger penalty at all, you could even argue it should increase it!

The simplest, fair way of reducing the penalty in multi-party conflicts would be to apply a reduced warmonger score for DoWing a CiV that is in an active war with another civ and was the aggressor in that conflict.

If you're feeling brave, you could add more sophistication by devising a
weighting system, whereby the higher the warmonger score of your "victim", the less of a warmonger penalty you get for attacking them. Further a military score could be taken into account - declaring war on a much weaker opponent should give an enhanced warmonger penalty. That'd take a lot more playtesting and fine tuning, and could lead to unintended consequences. Nevertheless, it would rather accurately model the way in times past, when when everyone was fighting everyone else on a regular basis, declarations of war raised less consternation than in more peaceful times. It would also model the chain of DoWs that lead to WWI, which, since they were almost all in response to attacks on nation's allies, did not leave the participants with massive warmonger perceptions in years to come. Finally, it would also simulate better the way a rampant expansionist like Hitler could be DoWed an wiped out without each and every one of the Allied nations being seen as massive warmongers (at least, not to the extent that would occur in-game).

As regards the act of bribing one nation to attack another -

The game as it stands makes this a way of keeping warmongers off your back,a way of weakening an opponent, as well as the aforementioned reduction in the penalty for starting a war as a co-belligerant - and other than the cost of the bribe, it's consequence-free.

Again, this goes against every commonsense notion of justice. Should the truth come out, bribing a nation to attack another SHOULD carry almost as much warmonger penalty as attacking that nation yourself AS WELL AS a large penalty for dishonourable behaviour in the same way that breaking a promise does. There should be a chance of the act remaining secret of course, but it should represent some sort of gamble.

Not heard of the warmonger penalty being divides between the attackers, isn't it just mean to be reduced with civs who are at war/don't like your target?

the warmonger penalty for the DoW is divided amongst the aggressors

I don't think that is correct.

Should the truth come out, bribing a nation to attack another SHOULD carry almost as much warmonger penalty as attacking that nation yourself AS WELL AS a large penalty for dishonourable behaviour in the same way that breaking a promise does. There should be a chance of the act remaining secret of course, but it should represent some sort of gamble.

I very much agree with you about this. Both points seem like glaring omissions. It would also be interesting to know if AI civs bribe others to DoW.

...the warmonger penalty for the DoW is divided amongst the aggressors....
The warmonger score obtained from capturing cities is halved with every ally you have in the war. I believe DOWing carries no warmonger score with civs already at war with your "victim", if not that is halved as well.

...It would also be interesting to know if AI civs bribe others to DoW...
I have no evidence to support this by I suspect they can and do. In one game Rome hated my guts just cos I was in his way and Augustus let me know that he hated me. Out of the blue Boudicca and Arabia DOWed me for little or no reason. Every turn I tired to sue for peace but they wouldn't have it. 10 turns later they both sued for peace on the same turn. What makes me suspicious that Rome bribed them is that Boudicca and Arabia didn't send any troops and were friendly afterwards. This is not the first time it has happened.....

Every turn I tired to sue for peace but they wouldn't have it. 10 turns later they both sued for peace on the same turn.

Every war has a 10 turn minimum.

10 turns later they both sued for peace on the same turn. What makes me suspicious that Rome bribed them is that Boudicca and Arabia didn't send any troops and were friendly afterwards.

That is exactly the same pathetic warring I tend to get when I bribe the AI to DoW!

I am absolutely positive AIs bribe others to declare wars. So many times against me. And sometimes I would try myself to bribe country A, lack the necessary incentive, bring in a third, richer party (B) and a few turns later A enters the war, and B has a drop of cash and/or resources.

Bribing countries in order to attack another, is part of the little "true diplomacy" that we have in this game. I don't get why you should get penalized for that. It's all supposed to be done secretly under the table and this was happened a lot through our history as well.

Especially, if we are talking about Diety, i don't think its even possible to get a victory (or even staying alive until the latest eras) without bribing. I find myself always bribing 99% warmongers like Mongols/Attila etc that spawn next to me, in order to stay alive in the very early stages of a game, when i'm with 1 archer and they got like 8 Archers, 6 Spearmen,4 Catapults and 1 brand new spawned pikemen, when im still researching Philosophy and running to catch them up in technology.

Bribing might be consequence-free diplomacy wise, but i assure you it ain't gold/luxury-free and this many times got severe happiness/growth consequences.

The warmonger score obtained from capturing cities is halved with every ally you have in the war. I believe DOWing carries no warmonger score with civs already at war with your "victim", if not that is halved as well.

This all sounds correct, but is not really like how OP characterized “warmonger penalty for the DoW is divided amongst the aggressors”.

Top Bottom