Jomsvikings Wonder

Hrafnkell

Alheithinn
A funny thing happened on the way to the Moab Stele...I came across the Jomsvikings (that's Yomsvikings) again and remembered that I had old plans to turn out a wonder for them - so I have done so. In short, it is a Norse equivalent of the Knights Templar. As I have done elsewhere, I've made a Pounder version wondersplash and a standard civ wondersplash. it is the only element I'm not entirely happy with, but there is a dearth of really good "Viking" images, surprisingly. I'd have preferred a really nice sea battle between longships...

oh, and that's the Trelleborg fortress in Denmark that I used for Jomsborg.

Previews:

And the file is two posts down, new waterline version. No point having longships without a beach to launch them from!

Nice.

What picture did you use to make the icons? Could you post it?

On second thought, I realized I should have put a coastline in the pedia pcx so here is a new version. If I was talented enough or thought they'd show up well enough, I'd have tried to throw a drakkar or two into the water:

Here is the image, Yoda Power:

Attachments

• trelleborg-3.jpg
    trelleborg-3.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Jomsvikings.zip
    139 KB · Views: 228
Are you sure the Trelleborg fortress was in Denmark? There was a Viking fortress in Sweden called Trelleborg... It was located at the same place as the modern day Swedish city of Trelleborg (the city probably got it's name from the fortress)...

Edit: I just realised that the part of Sweden were it was located, Skåne, was probably Danish at the time...

P.S.Y.C.H.O. said:
Are you sure the Trelleborg fortress was in Denmark? There was a Viking fortress in Sweden called Trelleborg... It was located at the same place as the modern day Swedish city of Trelleborg (the city probably got it's name from the fortress)...

Edit: I just realised that the part of Sweden were it was located, Skåne, was probably Danish at the time...

Ja, this is the Danish Trelleborg.But there is the Swedish Trelleborg built by Harald Blue Tooth in the 10th century - the same era as this. (the Swedish one, I'd heard somewhere, has been reconstructed, am I right?). I found the Danish one here CopenhagenPictures

Trelleborg - Danish Viking Fortress

On the West coast of Zealand - the island on which Copenhagen lies - near the town of Slagelse, you can visit an important site of the Danish past - an excavated viking fortress.

There is a 3D model of it here: Great Buildings Online

This Trelleborg is from c. 980 and house 450-500 Norsemen. I used it because it seemed to me that the Jomsborg fortress must have been similar, with the exception of the harbor mentioned, and that might have merely been poetic
license from the period in which the saga was put to paper. It's certainly unlikely that it held 300 longships

Hrafnkell said:
the Swedish one, I'd heard somewhere, has been reconstructed, am I right?
Yes, the Swedish Trelleborg has been reconstructed, only half of it, though... I've actually been there, but I was only 5 years old so I don't remember it well...

P.S.Y.C.H.O. said:
Yes, the Swedish Trelleborg has been reconstructed, only half of it, though... I've actually been there, but I was only 5 years old so I don't remember it well...

I'd like to see it someday. My mother visited our relatives in Norway and Sweden a few years back, before she died, and re-established contact with the descendents of the people my ancestors parted from in the 1850s. I'd like to get over there someday and continue that process and see the old homeland.

I'm guessing that you pasted the fortress without turning the background to RGB first, it seems to have some quite severe palette problems.

Hrafnkell said:
I'd like to see it someday. My mother visited our relatives in Norway and Sweden a few years back, before she died, and re-established contact with the descendents of the people my ancestors parted from in the 1850s. I'd like to get over there someday and continue that process and see the old homeland.
I really hope you do... Sweden's a real nice country... I've heard Norway's pretty nice, too... :)

Oh, BTW... 700th post! :banana: [party] :banana:

I made a version of it, with less palette problems, I'll post it if it's ok with you. (I won't be home untill the end of this month though.)

Nice site btw.

Yep, I noticed the palette problems and was going to do a fix today. Yoda says he's done a fix but I'm not sure if he means he can't post it until month's end or not. If that's so, I'll have one up by day's end. My apologies to all.

Hrafnkell said:

You should. It is beautiful in both countries (I've lived in both).
Also, the people there are very fluent in english. My wife does not speak more then a couple of words of norwegian (she is a descendent of Norwegian & Swedish immigrants), but even out in the country the shops and people on the street were very happy to help her. There are other places in europe where the lack of skill in the local language is a problem, but Scandinavia is very open and friendly.

Bjornlo said:
You should. It is beautiful in both countries (I've lived in both).
Also, the people there are very fluent in english. My wife does not speak more then a couple of words of norwegian (she is a descendent of Norwegian & Swedish immigrants), but even out in the country the shops and people on the street were very happy to help her. There are other places in europe where the lack of skill in the local language is a problem, but Scandinavia is very open and friendly.

My mother had very good things to say both about the people and the countries, both Norway and Sweden. Sadly, she did not make it to Denmark, though apparently we have some Danish blood on the Swedish side, and a little Walloonian as well. Our relatives there came for a visit as well, and it will be nice to see them all again. I enjoy my Norse ancestry, and am proud of it, and it's fun to be able to do some wonders and improvements that relate, especially when they are heithinn as well, as my forthcoming hof will be.

I received some input and some help from Bjornlo, and this is the result, a Jomsborg closer to the water with a drakkar, or longship, sailing with sails billowed, along in front of it. I would like to extend my thanks to him as I think the ship is a very nice touch!

Preview:

The file (pedia icons only, no buildings pcx):

Attachments

• Joms_Alt.zip
    15 KB · Views: 152
Top Bottom