1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Jon comes back with a vengence

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ArataWata11, Feb 6, 2013.

1. ArataWata11

ArataWata11 Chieftain

Wow, I thought Jon is gone for good. but he emerges with a intreguing and CiV challenging game called at the gate?

what do you think guys. had firaxi just let shafer developed CiV in his own way. we might be playing CiV with what all (so far we know) he introduced in his new game at the gate? :rolleyes:

2. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

His new game's only relation to CiV as far as i can tell is that it is turn based. It's hardly the same style of game, it shares one core mechanic.

From the sounds of it, the only possible comparison is to the fall of rome scenario in CiV

3. Civking5

Civking5 Chieftain

This sounds like a good news. I appreciate if you put a link to where that you saw this news.

4. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Like.

5. Schalke 04

Schalke 04 Knappe

6. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Or possibly the Fall of Rome in Civ III Conquests which I'm much more familiar with than the one in G&K

7. smallfish

smallfish Immortal

This needs to be accompanied with a recent article by the big man himself for some context, I think:

Strategy Games Are Broken

8. anandus

anandus Errorist

9. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It does look interesting that he focused in on one time period and there are seasons. And resources are finite, and that drives expansion or migration. I'd like to see more details. Like how does he handle technology? What differentiates the barbarian tribes from each other? Do they have UAs, UBs, UUs, & UIs?

Also, I'd like to know what the victory conditions are. There are implications that your objectives change over the course of the game, and that eventually leads to you destroying Rome. Are you compelled to do that? Can you choose to join the Empire, and guide it through the treacherous straits of history instead?

The graphics are a bit dated, but you'll have that for a Kickstarter game.

10. Sonereal

Sonereal Call Me Ish Supporter

According to the article, the tribes will have their own "unique strengths". Specifics haven't been given yet, but there does seem to be differentiation. I wouldn't be surprised if this works into the seasonal system.

Also, it sounds like that might just be the Europe scenario that the game is revolving around. There is also good ol' RNG mapss.

I like the graphics. Games don't have to be zOMG 3D and explosives! to be good.

11. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

Good for Jon. The game looks very interesting and covers a time period that has largely been neglected by computer games.

I hope it succeeds as we need more little guys doing well in the industry.

12. iconocast

iconocast Chieftain

this is great news and i personally am dieing for more tunrbased games of this sort.

13. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Chieftain

I want to play Rome (and Roman Byzantium)! Not a stinkin' "barbarian!"

I guess I can always decide to "cooperate" with Rome and become "Romanized"....

Rewrite history and "save" Rome from the other barbarian tribes! :king:

14. RedFuneral

RedFuneral Chieftain

Looks really interesting. The whole migration and seasons concepts seem especially interesting as you kind of have to be prepared for the worst at all times unlike in Civ where you can get comfortable with your empire and not really have to worry about anything but invading AIs. It's something new that hasn't been done before and if I pick up the game it's different enough from Civ that I could easily play both.

On the graphics front what matters to me is implementation. I like good looking 3D games like CiV, and a fair number of older 2D games. What I hate are the semi-early 3D games we had in the early 2000s. Those kinds of games give me motion sickness for some reason. Without that factor working against me however I probably never would have gotten interested in the strategy genre. :crazyeye:

15. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Chieftain

There were earlier Civs where connected strategic resources randomly disappeared over time (Civ III if I recall right, or maybe II. It was one where there was still saltpeter).

Also, the migration aspect reminds me of Settlers of the Stone Age (a variant spinoff of Settlers of Catan) where your initial tiles in Africa turn into desert throughout the game, forcing you to migrate.

16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

17. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

That was Civ III: When it happened, it relocated the resource to a random tile with correct terrain on the map. (It also sometimes led to the cheezy strategy of disconnecting your Iron right after you upgraded your Warrior to Swords to ensure you don't lose it)

Civ IV abolished the disappearing resource, but kept the small possibility in of a brand new resource appearing in a tile without one; which was much more fun.

18. Fabiano79

Fabiano79 Chieftain

At the Gates interview with Civilization V designer Jon Shafer

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/06/a...ges-strategy-from-the-lead-designer-of-civ-v/

Really liked this:

19. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It didn't disappear because of use, though, it just randomly disappeared.

20. Aristos

Aristos Chieftain

Honestly? We need more GREAT guys doing well in the industry... like Soren. I am fed up with little guys that get more credits than they deserve.