Jon Shafer Details Upcoming Patch

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
In a recent thread on the forums, Pyrkaige noted comments that Jon Shafer, leader designer of Civ5, made on the site Quarter to Three about the status of upcoming Civ5 development. In short, Shafer expects a "big update in a few weeks" that will address the interface and diplomacy, to name a few things. Here are some of his comments:

Hey guys. Just a quick update. Sorry for the recent absence, I've been traveling quite a bit lately.

There are several things which we are looking at improving with Civ 5. Most of my time since getting back has been spent working on the interface, particularly with making more information accessible. These changes will go out with the next big update in a few weeks. The plan is also to make major revisions to the diplomacy system, and while I can't talk about the details yet, I think you all will find them an improvement. That will be added with an update later this year. Also included will be a number of AI upgrades.

Thanks to all who have purchased the game - the plan is definitely to continue improving the experience for everyone playing. The game isn't perfect, but we feel good about the foundation laid so far, and expect Civ 5 will stand up with every other game out there and continue to get better over time. I can ensure that I'll be working on Civ 5 as long as I'm able to.

Jon

For more of his responses, mostly addressing topics related to the AI, please see this thread.

sounds good, I'd say the diplomacy update will include the ability to see why a civ loves or hates you(like in civ4).
AI improvements are always welcome ;)

sounds good, I'd say the diplomacy update will include the ability to see why a civ loves or hates you(like in civ4).

Yeah, even if it doesn't give us specific numbers, I hope it gives us a list of reasons why they do or don't like you. I also hope that these updates to the AI will make diplomacy more feasible. The current AI is too hostile.

Looking foreward to any patch. Most important to me

1) Diplomacy.

2) AI battle mechanics and improvement.

3) Making happiness moresophiticated and less dull.

3) Making happiness moresophiticated and less dull.

That's fundamental redesign territory. I'd say you'll be waiting for an expansion pack, if it ever happens.

OTOH, I'll be stoked just to get some diplomacy feedback and bug fixes.

I'd honestly settle for some bugfixes for the moment. The rest of this is much lower priority.

It's pretty obvious to me that 2k forced Firaxis' hand in this releasing this debacle. When he mentions they feel they have a good foundation in Civ5, I can imagine the sleepless nights the remaining dev team must be experiencing knowing what they know. This bit from Mr Shafer is reassuring.

Lest you think this is a rose tinted view, keep in mind the NDA has anyone remotely involved in production of this game, from testers to main developer, completely tied and bound.

Perhaps we see a compelling game in a year.

Cheers!
-Liq

as I said in the actual thread, I *seriously* hope they take some of the balance mods already out there as a basis for any future patches. Thallassicus' combined balance mod-in particular-was the only thing that stopped me from simply throwing the game out the nearest window ;). Unfortunately, there is little that can be done about the dumb AI without cracking into the SDK!

Aussie.

Obviously from these comments the developers know that the product was rushed and that fans are disappointed with it as it stands.

Nice to see him acknowledge that, and let us know that major changes are coming.

I hope they remain true to their word

Obviously from these comments the developers know that the product was rushed and that fans are disappointed with it as it stands.

This has been hell on me, trust me. I really love the general direction of Civ5, even a lot of the controversial stuff. I like the global happiness, I like the streamlining, I like most of it. Sadly the outright bugs, ineffective AI, and scatter-shot diplomacy are enough to sink the game in its current state.

There's a damn good game just under the tarnish. Let's hope that Shafer is given the time and resources to bring it forth.

On the other hand, I'll be beyond angry if we get major DLC releases while we still have things like the trade/wonder bugs. I can stand having some DLC before they refine the AI/Diplomacy, but if we get some $20 DLC while the game is still *this* buggy I think I'll pop an artery.

i still bet we'll be seeing that 2civ/scenario DLC before the patch

I haven't been playing Civ5 for one single hour this week. I have been playing good old Oblivion and modding that instead. That's how much a pull Civ5 has on me right now. I will give it a few more chances, but if I don't like it, I will take my own gameplaying and modding business elsewhere to a game that I actually like. I am really disappointed and consider this so-called Civ5 energy and expectation wasted and 50 Euros down the toilet.

Never again will I pre-purchase a game from 2K and/or their cronies or anyone affiliated with them either.

It would nice to see some work done on the UPT set up. It's definitely a different way to play and really changes war and strategic placement of forces. The idea that a worker cannot improve a tile because an AI friendly is standing on it is obscene. You could just sign open borders and place random units on AI resources and they could never improve them. haha crazy. Or not being able to move units around your own territory for the same reasons. Where's the logic in that!:run:

I haven't been playing Civ5 for one single hour this week. I have been playing good old Oblivion and modding that instead. That's how much a pull Civ5 has on me right now. I will give it a few more chances, but if I don't like it, I will take my own gameplaying and modding business elsewhere to a game that I actually like. I am really disappointed and consider this so-called Civ5 energy and expectation wasted and 50 Euros down the toilet.

Never again will I pre-purchase a game from 2K and/or their cronies or anyone affiliated with them either.

I hear you on that. I'm still playing MP games on Civ4, & am still modding whenever I get the opportunity, wheras I haven't been *near* Civ5 in over a week. I would have given it away sooner had it not been for the Balance Mods that have been released lately. For a Civ Game to have so little hold on me is extremely unusual!

Aussie.

Yes, this was reassuring. Definitely admitting the obvious. Things need to be addressed, and soon. Look at these forums and look at the 2k Civ5 forums. Things are out of control!

People are upset, that's for sure. But i'm glad to see improvement, as i'm (albeit moderately disappointed) enjoying Civ5.

"lets release a half finished game and then bit by bit try to fix it with patches" I dont like that attitude from a game developer at all....

I haven't been playing Civ5 for one single hour this week (...). I am really disappointed and consider this so-called Civ5 energy and expectation wasted and 50 Euros down the toilet.

Same here. I've been a big Civilization player since Civilization I, but I only played 3 games of Civ5, and I'm not excited about it anymore, I don't play it anymore ...

I can't believe it :/

Anything more than relatively minor bug fixes and you suckers are going to have to pay for DLC, bit by bit, pack by pack. We'll all have shelled out $100+ by the time they are finished developing Civ5. ;)

I havent even bought Civ V yet (and I wont until I get a new PC and I think most of the bugs etc have been fixed) but this bit from the quote above was rather worrying...

Thanks to all who have purchased the game - the plan is definitely to continue improving the experience for everyone playing. The game isn't perfect, but we feel good about the foundation laid so far, and expect Civ 5 will stand up with every other game out there and continue to get better over time. I can ensure that I'll be working on Civ 5 as long as I'm able to.

Jon

"long as I'm able to" suggests that they might not bother after a while?

Let me laugh silently Jon !

I was almost sure Civ 5 will be a failure, or close to, some month ago. This game wasn't really made for "real" machine like PCs. Because of this congenital error, Civ V will probably be the biggest failure in Civ history.

No religion, too many interface problems, too many typo and script errors.... And i don't speak about the strange choices you made.
One example: all civ games are strategic/historic games, in terms of warfare i mean. What did you do ? Simply a basic tactical warfare game... Even if i understand that the "stack of doom" strategy of Civ 4 wasn't good, your choice is there simply disastrous.

Be quick ! A massive update is really needed or this game will die young !!!

Top Bottom