Jon Shafer joins Stardock to work on elemental

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Zanzibar, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Wasn't that the Better AI they got from a modder? :lol:

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Kind of disappointing that this doesn't appear to have done much to quell the trolls. But glad to see that he did leave for greener pastures rather than being forced out, and hoping that long-term we'll see that this works out well both for him and Stardock. Especially if 2K Games forcing out Civ5 early did have a significant impact on Civ5 being flawed, I can see this being a good all around, except for Firaxis. But if Firaxis is already being bossed around by 2K Games, they might not be able to do much to improve either way.

That article sure did have a lot of errors. Looks like Big Download could benefit from hiring an editor.

Not so fast. I'm a Civ3 fan and I've yet to buy Civ5 nor do I intend to anytime soon. There's a lot of Civ3 fans who are sticking with Civ3; I haven't noticed a dropoff in Civ3 forum activity here.

3. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

Ya i'm not sure where Celevin got his info from but I don't believe its factual. According to Alexman, jon's espionage ect had to be cleaned up by the rest of the programmers before it was fully implemented into BTS because jon wasn't very astute at programming at the time.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9958636&postcount=19

4. Ayt

Ayt Warlord

*nods head and strokes evil lap dog in agreement*

5. Isikien

Isikien WHOA

Interesting

Man was pretty shrewd for holding out at Firaxis for so long. Looks like he had this one planned.

6. DarkSchneider

DarkSchneider King

It's sad that so many promising empire building games have turned out to be debacles recently. I am worried that the less polish Civ/Elemental get, the more likely people are just to play first person shooters. Personally, I hate the genre, but big first/third person shooters have an undeniable amount of production value behind them. On the other side of things, high-level strategy games have gotten to the point where I could personally design better games than what is coming out. How did this happen?

But the most mystifying part of the Civ V debacle is how much they could have easily ported over from Civ IV. Even if it was impossible to port code efficiently, the concepts behind Religion, Civics, etc were already complete. Why cut them out?

7. Greybriar

Greybriar Prince

I have no idea what Jon did to be credited with those games. I wasn't even aware he was credited with all of them until I read about it at MobyGames. :dunno:

8. The Turk

The Turk Deity

:mwaha: TRAITOR!!!!! :mwaha:

9. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

Seems that you actually support my assumption that most people voting for "1upt" are actually against the SoD as you point out that most people voted for limitations.

And there is an obvious difference between 1upt and xupt.
    Like the SoD, 1upt is an extreme solution.

In many cases, extreme solutions are not best solutions, even not good solutions, either.
    Yet, it was brought up by you. So, where's your point?

I don't have to.

It was you who linked a poll indicating that the support for 1upt meanwhile is no longer as strong as you think it might be.

As having said above already, you seem to support my point.
    People voting for 1upt are actually voting against the SoD.

No further questions. Your witness.

10. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

Stardock is a joke. Shafer is a joke. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

11. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

I vote against the SoD and anything that kills it, from making units expensive to flat out 1upt, is cool with me.

12. Stardock? A humbug uncle?!?:lol:
    But in all seriousness what makes you say Stardock is a joke?

13. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

yeah, stardock is really making waves right now.

I don't think shafer will work on galciv3, however. they're planning to put him on an "unannounced" new game after his elemental work is done.

14. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

nobody from the civ team posts on here (that we know of), just some community members who are also alpha/beta testers. either they're confined to the official site or they were told not to post as themselves here I would assume. clearly stardock's official forums are better than 2k's.

speaking of 2k, anybody want to give odds on how much longer they stay around? I think that by 2014 they're bankrupt or part of another company.

15. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

hmmm, I wonder if jon has some ideas from his final frontier mod that might get into galciv3? I wouldn't mind that at all, FF was by far my favorite civ4 game. for the last year or so I played civ4 probably 75% of my games were FF.

16. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

I agree. I think that a post like that (and our response to it) shows that 2k could have helped their cause a lot by just letting the designers interact with us a bit. It's very easy to vilify somebody you don't know, but when you see it's somebody whom you've talked with (and is a likeable guy to boot) you're more likely to say "jon, why don't you try making the ai not suicide 50 units into my catapult barrage" instead of "jon shafer has ruined the civ franchise forever b/c his ai sucks!!!!". food for thought 2k greg or elizabeth if you're reading this.

17. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

great, I choose to, but unless I block him I'll see his posts when I read the forums. not sure why you're defending him, however, maybe you should let him talk for himself?

18. FatCatAttack

FatCatAttack Chieftain

1upt and getting rid of the hideous stack of doom still remains the best decision of all time. Like someone else already mentioned the caustic nature of this forum is what keeps people from posting and gives off a false consensus. That's why Civ V design decisions constantly win anonymous polls even though reading all the Jon Shafer hate fanfiction has another impression.

19. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

There are reasons forum polls are not to be trusted. One of them, the fact that they misrepresent people's opinions and beliefs with their arbitrary options. In this case, if people just say they like 1UPT, there are things to consider. Do they simply think it's good as it is implemented in Civ V? (It's not). Do they think it's problems are just because of bad AI and hope for the programming to eventually be able to properly deal with it? (It won't). Are they even aware of the theory that places 1UPT as the root of all evil in Civ V? (Probably not). Talk about "false consensus"...

Food for thought.

20. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Yeah...:rolleyes:

Because Firaxis and 2K games are so credible these days...

At least Stardock owned up to their debacle of a game release...

They offered refunds to any people that were dissatisfied with Elemental's disastrous launch. They also promised 2 free expansions to any people that stuck with them.

They then have proceeded to hire excellent talent to fix the game. Kael, Stern and Shafer being the most notables. They put their money where their mouth's were.

Everyone makes mistakes as we're all human. What you do to correct the mistakes is what's really important.

Stardock is doing all the right things. Firaxis, not so much.

As far as communication goes as well, it isn't even close.

Stardock certainly isn't perfect but they seem to be getting their act together unlike Firaxis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.