1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Shafer leaves Firaxis!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Windsor, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Blitzscream

Blitzscream Warlord

Really come on now really I don't like what he did either but wishing a life of misery for him I think that's pretty low.

2. Well, either this means support for ciV will drop.:(

Or it won't.:D

And when VI rolls around we will get a new designer.

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

My brazen and unsubstantiated speculation is that Shafer was simply not happy with 2K and thought it better to part ways than to continue in a direction he may not have been comfortable with.

Whatever the reason, it certainly spices things up!

4. Toulouse

Toulouse Warlord

Interesting news. Here's my take:

1. If you like the game, Jon Shafer is your guy and you should be sorry to see him go. Civ V was his vision. With Shafer gone, it is apparent that the game will change in fundamental ways or be dropped all together soon enough.

2. If you don't like the game, you should be glad that Jon Shafer is no longer involved with Civ. Someone new will be driving development of Civ V add-ons or a brand new Civ VI -- and that almost certainly means a big change of direction.

I believe Shafer is gone because the book has now closed on his vision for Civ at 2K/Firaxis. I believe this is almost certainly because his vision did not result in a good game.

Next, I believe we'll see a flurry of Civ V DLC released that was essentially in the pipeline; and then -- either Civ VI in 2012, or a big stand-alone expansion utilizing the new engine that will be much, much different than V.

Civ V as we know is essentially over and I for one am happy about that. I can't help but believe most of us are....:)

5. Blitzscream

Blitzscream Warlord

Hey if he's leaving because of 2k I think he should be glad he wasn't apart of Activision. Oh gosh!!! Activision.

6. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

You can wish him well, or not wish him well. I am not wishing him well because I'm not wishing him anything. I don't care what he does or where he goes, as long as he doesn't return.

This does not mean I am wishing him misery. If I wanted to wish him misery, I would have said "I wish Jon Shafer a miserable life", which I did not do.

---

Although, He wished us misery with his crappy release (which was pretty low), so in all fairness, we should be wishing him misery.

7. Blitzscream

Blitzscream Warlord

Well lets pray that Civilization can grow and prosper now.

8. HedBanger

HedBanger Chieftain

I don't really know what to think of this. I am slightly worried that this means the end of CiV. But this could be a sign that the development team will start making some much needed changes to game. I love CiV but I have admit it could use a LOT of improvements. We will just have to wait and see what the future holds.

9. ezwip

ezwip Prince

The UI would look great in a ninja turtles video game.

10. Blitzscream

Blitzscream Warlord

11. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

To live long and prosper, Civ needs Nimoy back! ;)

dV

12. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

He could've remained silent or said something more cryptic. There was no need for him to tweet anything or say anything about Firaxis. But he did, and he said positive things about them. I still imagine he was likely asked to leave, but I don't think it was as horrible of a situation as many of you want to believe.

13. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Of course he's going to say positive things. If you're in a position where you've just recently left your job, you're not going to bad-mouth your previous employers, simply becasuse it'll come back and bite you in a lot of job interviews, e.g. "John we checked with your previous employers and they said while you're a talented developer, you have a bad attitude, argue with superiors a lot, and publicly disclose confidential company data. What skills do you think you have that will compensate for these big and obvious defects?" and he's going "Oh stercus, he's going on about the big F-U I gave 2K games on twitter and other media within a week of leaving them. What do I say?" This applies whether he left the job of his own volition, was told to jump or be pushed, was pushed with the semblance of jumping or straight out fired (although there is some chance of the F-U in that case as you don't depend on a job you're fired from for references).

14. Eddogegr3

Eddogegr3 Warlord

Even though it appears he is more of a figurehead these days, I wonder what Sid's opinion on this is?

15. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Some great examples of fans any developer should be proud to have!

16. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

Hear hear. I don't agree with many of his game decisions, but it's the holidays and I hope he doesn't have one of those It's a Beautiful Life weekends or anything. Things will be good for everyone.

EDIT: Is it Wonderful Life?? LOL! What a noob

17. Islet

Islet Chieftain

I'm a fan of the franchise, not of the developer, sorry.

18. joyous_gard

joyous_gard Prince

Yeah I would like a statement from 2K about whether or not they are even supporting the game. What are their plans for the game? Etc.

19. kosak

kosak Chieftain

financially speaking, there's very little chance of support being dropped for civ 5

there's a lot of money to be made off dlc's and expansions

there's more profit in making an expansion and selling it for $30 than making a whole new game selling it for $50

20. CivFanaticMan

CivFanaticMan Warlord

Fixing the AI over and over again too much for Mr. Shafer?