1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Shafer leaves Firaxis!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Windsor, Dec 21, 2010.

1. blind biker

blind biker King

OK.

Regarding the 1.000.000 sales figure: I think in this thread it was repeated a few times, that it means squat. People saw Civ V, thought it would be even better than Civ IV, and some were happy, some not. If enough people weren't happy, Firaxis et al. shot themselves in the foot. What good is 1.000.000 sold copies, if you will have a hard time selling the next 500.000? And even harder selling the subsequent incarnations in the series? The fact that the ratings on Amazon and Metacritic are falling, indicates to me that people are waking up to the fact that this game isn't quite as good as they were lead to believe. Heck, next time (come Civilization VI), people will look at the usual suspects' reviews and say screw 'em, I'm not falling for this again. Last time the critics gave it an average of 9 stars and it was crap. So Civilization V might have burned a LOT of good will all around.

2. Dale

Dale Deity

I think you misunderstood me. Pointing at 200 odd users on Amazon giving it a 1-star is meaningless when you consider there's almost a million other people out there. In terms of gauging success, acceptance or relevance, basing your decision on the reviews given by 0.0002% of all purchases is not a wise thing to do. On the flip side, it doesn't also mean the other 99.9998% of users love the game. Both are equally meaningless.

As for how well it'll sell in the future, well we won't know that till later, will we? ;)

3. ezwip

ezwip Prince

It is now 246 users. :p Do you know of any other sites with more reviews from users?

4. dragomaster

dragomaster Warlord

When I see that a thread are getting 23 pages i only two days and where the majority likes the news of such a subject, then I know something is werry wrong with this game, when so many fans are angry.

Just imangine what type of replys a simular thread whold contain if someting identical whold have happend to the leading designer of civ iv so shortly after reelease.

5. Dale

Dale Deity

GameSpot. 2418 with score of 8.2.

6. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

What is the source for saying Civ5 has a million sales?

7. Dale

Dale Deity

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=217805

Take 2's latest financial statement.

8. dragomaster

dragomaster Warlord

9. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

:confused::confused:
    I don't get it..

Pages and pages totally off topics, talking about imp, Amazon and other stuff, and not a single reminder from a moderator... well, I guess it is Christmas...
    Dale, you are an experienced guy, and you got trapped in an off-topic discussion like a freshman!

And what about Jon Shafer ?? The thread is supposed to be about "Jon Shafer leaves Firaxis! ", i.e. about the impact it has on Firaxis.
    Does it mean it will have an impact on imp1/2/etc, Amazon and such?....
    I am really confused.

Perhaps is it time to close this thread and take care of people out there who are going to stay alone during Christmas, such as an old guy with his dog, or an old lady with her cat... ?

'Hope Jon won't stay alone. Poor guy, he does not deserve all this... Happy Christmas Jon.

10. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

Google can't find such a statement. :(

Doesn anyone know what the site was again where you could check the weekly and total sales of a game?

11. blind biker

blind biker King

You really don't understand how statistics work. Heck, I even gave a confidence interval for the 500+ sample size and confidence level of 95%, and even that has not prompted you to educate yourself a bit. Fo' shame.

12. jprc

jprc My dog is smarter than me

Maniac, you can find official information at:

http://ir.take2games.com/External.F...0mK+IUWA3xBRytQprffA9PkHDGn2CH+qEy8ejqTmVFA==

However, the financial report does NOT give volumes in terms of number of sells. It does say that Viv5 contribute very much to the strong financial results, hence you can suppose that teh number of sell is rather large.

It is then at Jon's credits !!

13. blind biker

blind biker King

GameSpot has WAY less reviews than Amazon, for Civ V.

Though I am, of course, quite impressed with the user rating of Civ V at GameSpot, being 8.2. However, Civ IV got a 9.1 from the Gamespot users. There are 15.544 votes for Civ IV on GameSpot.

14. Haig

Haig Deity

Regarding the over-positive game reviews for Civ V...

Here in Finland, the biggest finnish(and actually the biggest nordic) gamemagazine Pelit www.pelit.fi gave Civilization V a whopping 92 points review, and there wasn't any mention of the A.I. in the review whatsoever.

It got a small backslash in the Pelit feedback forum when people complained, and actually the reviewer had guts to come forward and admit that he didn't have that much time to play it, or otherwise the review would have been in the next month's magazine.
    He said that now he would drop ten points from his review if I remember correctly.

I think that was admirable that a professional writer stood up and admitted that he had written it in a bit of a hurry, and it shows that reviewers maybe should have been given more time with the game.

Myself I was glowing during my first hours of Civ V and actually battled against Civ IV fans complaining about some stuff.
    Now I'm back into Civ IV and Civ V is collecting dust.. :lol:

15. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

Thats even worse since its not open to the public. Not that either are good.. but one being restricted to long time users and paid subscribers only points to it being even more biased.

No single user based review or rating site is going to give a good idea of the overall userview of civ V. People trying to use those to bolster their opinion on either side need to just come to terms with the fact that they have an opinion like everyone else and nothing you do is going to bolster or destroy your opinion cause its just a GD opinion.

16. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

The problem is those 500 are not a Random sample... they are people who decided to rate the game. Which can very strongly bias the results one way or another.

17. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Emperor

You are wrong. The random maps were as important as for Civilization; in fact Imperialism's demo, which had the main purpose of making people see how the game worked, included no historical scenario.

As for the map of the New World being the only random one... again, you are wrong. There were random maps for the Old World in Imperialism II as well.

You are talking without even the most basic knowledge of the game.

18. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

you cannot deduce anything from that list since it includes all* releases for that quarter - apparently all their new releases were among the strongest contributors to revenues - well thats surprising isn't it? ;)

*except some dlc packs and two dora series releases

19. Kiwi_Mark_LFC

Kiwi_Mark_LFC Chieftain

Excellent News.

Overrated undertalented moron who ruined the last great game left!

There is not ONE single redeeming feature in Civ V.

Pathetically easy - especially now the AI is limited to one unit per tile - its beyond simple to thrash in any war!

Extremely boring...theres ZERO challenge in the game - and ZERO management left. This game is Civ for Stupid Fat Americans Who Are Too Lazy to Think!

Sod all ability to customise the gameplay without actually having to customise the game.

Shafer couldnt know less about gaming and what makes a good game if he was a plank of wood!

Moderator Action: name calling is not allowed here - we do allow a lot of leeway to criticise the publisher or designer of the game, but we still expect everyone to stay civil[ized] in their comments. Further your trolling about who this civ is designed for is unacceptable as well.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

20. blind biker

blind biker King

THAT is an argument which I COULD accept! TBH, I don't think we know with certainty one way or the other, but it is possible that there is self-selection at work.