1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jon Shafer Leaves Firaxis

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Moss, Dec 21, 2010.

1. The Government

The Government Chieftain

Actually most of the stuff has been solved in the patch, you just like being nostalgic. If you hate the game so much why do you go on the forums and comment on all the pages on how much you hate it?

2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Why not? What does the one have to do with the other? I would expect the people who like or dislike something to post the most about it. Those who are more neutral or conflicted in their feelings are less likely to be interested enough to weigh in.

3. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

If you did a bad job, and the reviews from fans on forums such as this one were generally saying that the problems with the game are very very great; then yes, speculation would say you got sacked because of it. And although it isn't known why, and it never will be; the chances are higher because of the timing of it.

Calling people ignorant isn't exactly appropriate. You are saying others are ignorant because they speculate; yet you yourself are putting out speculations.

4. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

You wouldn't be happy with a fanbase like this? And the fanbase should be happy with a game like this?

The company needs it's fans, not the other way around. They release a broke game, and the appropriate response by fans is to be upset after they dish their money out. It's how things work.

If you dislike the fanbase here, you don't have to stay.

5. guspasho

guspasho Prince

I know I haven't been fixatedly complaining about Civ5 here. I'll log in occasionally to see if any major new developments have happened, such as the latest instance when I wanted to chime in on Shafer's departure. But maybe Civfanatics just has a critical mass of loyal but occasional posters rather than regulars. That was always my impression of the makeup here. It would also explain the large number of redundant topics. At least, I really hope nobody is wasting that much time being upset about Civ5.

PS. I'm also offering it as my defense for your "here we go again" comment :D

6. The Government

The Government Chieftain

You can comment once. But it gets tedious that you play it once, complain about it, play again, then get annoyed that it is the same game as it was yesterday, post about the same stuff, use the words "deeply flawed game", talk about the good old days, complain about the money you lost 6 months ago, say you've given up on CiV, say the new patch won't fix the "deep flaws" and then act superior towards everyone who liked the game. You know it's about fun.... for everyone.

7. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I think they care much more about the fact that the game got universally excellent reviews that will affect the buying decisions of millions of customers, than that a few thousand CFC members are mostly not so excited about it.

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I didn't do any of those things.

But, if you find some posters tedious, why can't you just ignore them? I find it understandable that various people have the interest to post what they think about the game. I find it not understandable that other people would complain about such postings. If you find the postings on this subject uninteresting and tedious, then you don't have to read them.

9. SidMeierGroupy

SidMeierGroupy Chieftain

Sorry, you do realize we're talking about the GAMING INDUSTRY, don't you?:lol:

10. hennord

hennord Chieftain

I'm so very disappointed with the reviews of Civ V. It's so obvious that the reviewers haven't played this games very thoroughly or is not familiar with the former versions. I mean, almost everyone gave it a 9 og 9,5 out of 10 ! I've only seen one or maybe two reviews raising some concerns over bugs.

A descent review would pointed out the different issues Civ 5 has with slow speed of game, very problematic multiplayer, simplicity, unbalanced, and all the other stuff we miss from Civ IV. I suspect the reviewers to just compare with earlier civs and check with the other reviews and then ride along.

These reviews make me kind of wonder what to think of reviews in general.

11. SidMeierGroupy

SidMeierGroupy Chieftain

Very, very smart post. I have a colleague who is positioned fairly high up in the industry and it's mostly speculation. Though I'm extreemly curious as to the whys and wherefores, and because I absolutely hate Civ 5 I want to blame shafer entirely, the reason for the game's crappiness, and for shafer's leaving is probably more mundane than anyone is speculating.

12. aeligos

aeligos Chieftain

I only listen to the reviews that I want to hear. :crazyeye:

Anyone know how I can change this christmas background of civfanatics? The santas are freaky and the season became over months ago.

-.-

13. Negator_UK

Negator_UK King

It's really "Game Review as a Fashion Statement".

Most games journalists, like game producers, make money from sales. Civ now has a long, almost legendary history to it, and you are more likely to get further in your career as a games journalist by writing intelligent, positive-sounding guff than the truth, bearing in mind most movers and shakers in in the industry know games because "my kids play them".

14. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

It makes more sense to post about how much you don't like a game than to post how much you like a game.

If you don't like a game you will be pissed off searching for stuff to do, since you don't wanna play the game you don't like.

If you like a game, you should be playing the game instead of posting in a forum.

15. aeligos

aeligos Chieftain

I don't think the game, Civ V, is all that bad. I spent 4 hours on it lastnight as Hiawatha, Iroquis...standard map, 8 civs, barbs, no cs, prince, and time victory disabled. I enjoy Civ V, I do.

I had roughly 2 weeks experience with Civ IV-BTS before I got Civ V so notably, I am a noob...and I'm willing to bet that most noobs of the civ franchise like Civ V and "like" the franchise if that is where they begin.

This makes me wonder then if firaxis used Civ V to mark the end of the original generation to make way and attract fresh blood.

I wonder.

Anyway....does anyone know how I can change this Santa theme for civfanatics?? It got old real quick. Time for change.

-.-

16. gdmast

gdmast Warlord

All ok but can we at least finish a game over standard map??? Can we normaly load a game?? Where is the worldbuilder? why after 2 patches we have to reorder the units that passes from the cities? (and much much more, see the bug reports)??? who will answer at least?

17. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I think you're wrong about the quality of the reviews and the reviewers. I think the reviews accurately reflect the reaction and preferences of the broader gaming community, which is what they are supposed to do. They don't reflect what CFC members think, and they aren't supposed to. But they do match how my friends who aren't diehard Civ players but have played all of the previous games in the series, react to it. I think most potential customers just don't care very much about the things that you (or I) care about.

18. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

I agree with this. I think Civ V has great potential, and I enjoy playing it even as it is, but it seems obvious to me that the game was pushed out of the door much too early for pecuniary reasons.

19. hennord

hennord Chieftain

You might have a point there...

Though I'm still not satisfied. Some of the reviews have been written by game journalists with 18 years experience in civ.

If you still haven't found out about this, you can change the theme in the drop down box in the buttom of the screen. Change from "Christmas" to something else.

20. Öjevind Lång

Öjevind Lång Deity

As I said in the post you quote, the complaints are perfectly legitimate, though unlike you I don't dislike Civ V. The tiresome thing is that some posters appear to be so upset that they can't simply go back to discussing - or playing - Civ IV. Their obsessive need to constantly attack Civ V and all its adherents in *every* thread reminds me of people who fight wars against those they regard as infidels. Crusaders, jihadists, conquistadors, what you will.

Take if for granted that you have many soulmates, and that the people from Take2 Games monitor the fan sites, and leave it at that. They aren't morons, you know. They will take all the opinions about Civ V into consideration, and all those opinions (pro or contra) have been posted a zillion times now.