1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Joseph Campbell on Christian Mythology: "Thou Art That"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Veritass, May 17, 2007.

1. Veritass

Veritass Emperor

Joseph Campbell is one of my heroes. He was an expert on comparative mythology and comparative religion. At his death in 1987, he left a significant body of unpublished work, and the Joseph Campbell Foundation was founded in 1991 to preserve, protect, and perpetuate this work.

A recent release of theirs is the book, "Thou Art That." It is a collection of Campbell's writings and lectures regarding Christian mythology. I have quoted extensively from the book here, because I believe that Campbell’s words speak best for themselves. I think this work touches on many of the topics covered in this forum, including the infallibility of the Bible, the ability to choose your belief system, science versus religion, etc.

From the Editor’s [Dr. Eugene Kennedy] Forward
    From Chapter 1: Metaphor and Religious Mystery
    From Chapter 2: The Experience of Religious Mystery
    From Chapter 3: Our Notions of God
    On the metaphor of the quest for the Holy Grail:
    From Chapter 4: The Religious Imagination and the Rules of Traditional Theology
    From Chapter 5: Symbols of the Judeo-Christian Tradition
    From Chapter 6: Understanding the Symbols of Judeo-Christian Spirituality
    I am about 2/3 of the way through the book, but I thought I would share now. I know this has been long, but I hope useful.

2. fishjie

fishjie omghi2u

yeah that was actually an interesting perspective, a refreshing change from what's usually posted in threads about religion.

cool!

3. Bozo Erectus

Bozo Erectus Master Baker

Truth:

I wasnt aware of this book Veritass. Thank you.

4. Sparta

Sparta Emperor

Very interesting, Veritass - thanks!