Jotnar - Giant Civ for Fall from Heaven. Download Here.

Will the Slinger units of other races receive a special "Hey, I Am David, Yeah That David" ability, granting bonus damage against Giants? :)

BTW, just so you folks don't think I'm being nit-picky, I'd just remind you that the whole concept of the Jotnar as I understand it is a bit different than a lot of old style D&D players might think.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm thinking Arctic Circle is going more for the Ogres of the Eye of the World series or the Giants from the Thomas Covenant Chronicles. These are beings of enormous strength but they are also wise and tend not to get involved a lot in the affairs of others. One might also see them a bit like the Ents of LOTR.

For me, however, when I think of giants I tend to think of them as shown in the classic "Against the Giants" series of adventures, as shown here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steading_of_the_Hill_Giant_Chief

So in some respects I see the 'evil' Giants under Uxnol being much more concerned about raiding, pillaging, keeping slaves, and generally not being good neighbors. Again that isn't necessarily the way the Jotnar was conceived as but if you are going to have a evil component, it would fit that they would be different from the Good/Neutral giants.

My previous points about undead under Uxnol boils down to this. As an evil player of the Jotnar, it is difficult for any sort of early game strategy of attack. Since Uxnol is a 'unholy' union of two forces and is magical to boot, the concept of him creating undead units to fill out his early forces seems to make sense. Plus if the Jotnar are seen more like the kindly, in-tune with nature and wise type of Giants, the corrupted version of that would be Uxnol. He'd use that knowledge to corrupt the natural rules (undead are about the worst thing you can do) and his origin seems to point towards the, "I'll get my revenge on those that spurned me!" sort of thing.

I will think of something for Uxol, however the Zombie creating Zombies are not going to make it. Thats final. But I can agree with your thinking. However, the basic uniqueness of civs weighs heavier. Leave the undead to the undead civs.

;)

It is still possible to make a bunch of Vala and Skalds that summons undead if you want to. Perhaps i'll make some way that increases the max summons available for Jotnar spellcasters (since they can't massproduce spellcasters).

I will think of something for Uxol, however the Zombie creating Zombies are not going to make it. Thats final. But I can agree with your thinking. However, the basic uniqueness of civs weighs heavier. Leave the undead to the undead civs.

Well I actually like your idea of being able to build 'classic' zombies using either the Tower of Necromancy and/or Mokka's Cauldron, especially the latter since how often can you build it in an area that gets attack? Being able to crank out zombies would make that wonder much more useful.

My copy of Civ IV is on my laptop and so I can't double-check this idea so bear with me, but perhaps instead of the Hill Giant being the first combat unit (as a axeman replacement) perhaps you should push them back to being swordsmen and have a Ogre as an early axeman and not require them to be created out of a Jotnar citizen. Make them expensive since they'd be stronger than an average axeman unit, but not massively so and only make them available with Jotnar with an evil alignment. If I remember right, there are Orc mercenary units available later; perhaps these could be switch to ogres, especially since there are a lot of ogre units out there to use.

Plus, I still think going with the Jotnar bios that perhaps Mother E should get a unit sort of like the Grigori medic. Haven't read up on the Neutral leader so I don't have much of an opinion on what they might get.

No disrespect, but I don't want to push around the units like you suggest. And the Jotnar mage and archmage have Medic, so have the Mouth of the divine unit.

Ogre mercenaries for Armageddon counter 60+ and available at Smelting/Warfare or similar would be an idea for later game, but often Jotnar will have a handful of tier 4 units that utterly kicks ass. They are still weak however when Sheelba hits them with 46 Ogres (all level 3+). SPLAT DIED.

No disrespect, but I don't want to push around the units like you suggest. And the Jotnar mage and archmage have Medic, so have the Mouth of the divine unit.

Ogre mercenaries for Armageddon counter 60+ and available at Smelting/Warfare or similar would be an idea for later game, but often Jotnar will have a handful of tier 4 units that utterly kicks ass. They are still weak however when Sheelba hits them with 46 Ogres (all level 3+). SPLAT DIED.

Hey, it's your mod. If it really mattered, I'd go back to college and learn all this arcane HTML/Python stuff. Alas I'm an old dog and new tricks are hard to come by.

My view of the Ogres would be that it gives them a reasonable unit they can depend on in the 'late' early game. I mean if I understand it right, there must be some sort of bug relating to the wild trolls since I've never had one go barbarian on me before. Since this unit and the unit it upgrades to are about the only decent units you have early on, it's a bit dicey depending on them.

It just seems that the Jotnar have to really wait prior to doing any sort of combat operations since unless they do the Pact of Nilhorn really early, since they don't have a dependable combat unit as early as other races do as well as having to wait for their magical units to come on line. I may not have had mega-stacks show up, but just the CoE sending in wolf-riders was bad enough.

Anyone know if this works with 0.50?
Love this civ for the big guy bashing goodness :)
-Z

Hi there, I've been and currently are very occupied with other things. As mentioned I am on a break and will not be doing any significant work on Jotnar until the end of february/march. The plan is to make a rush to make it fully compatible with Fall from heaven II and Fall Further 050 as well as implementing the most important changes that have been mentioned (and are marked with fat and red in this thread). I make no comittments, but I hope I can shake loose the time to do so. Especially if Taslos do not forfill his promise to let everyone try Darkfall (new mmorpg) before buying it, because I will most likely not be doing any pre-ordering unless I can take it for a test-drive.

My hope is that I can after such a rush hand it over to the Fall Further team and be done with it. The game mechanics of the Jotnar and its rather unique style do merit that I put down some work on the big guys.

Well, I've been out of the country. And I've been horribly sick. Now I've gotten involved in politics and I've gotten a copy of Darkfall. Not to mention that I have to sketch and build a whole new solution for my home intranet.

However.

I am currently planning to start have a look at what needs done, and dedicate the weekend 21-22 of March to make Jotnar work with the latest version of Fall Further. Then the first weekend of April to make improvements listed in this thread.

Then if Vehem co-operates/are willing we'll have an implementation of Jotnar into Fall Further. As mentioned I will not keep running after Fall Further as they release new versions forever, at some point the FF team will have to let Jotnar onboard or it will be scrapped. Sadly. Because its a lot of work, and its got just as much content and flavor as some other civs.

Well, I've been out of the country. And I've been horribly sick. Now I've gotten involved in politics and I've gotten a copy of Darkfall. Not to mention that I have to sketch and build a whole new solution for my home intranet.
Ouch! I mean, involved in politics? I feel for you!

I am currently planning to start have a look at what needs done, and dedicate the weekend 21-22 of March to make Jotnar work with the latest version of Fall Further. Then the first weekend of April to make improvements listed in this thread.
Yay! Jotnar are the most interesting new Civ in FF for me.

Then if Vehem co-operates/are willing we'll have an implementation of Jotnar into Fall Further. As mentioned I will not keep running after Fall Further as they release new versions forever, at some point the FF team will have to let Jotnar onboard or it will be scrapped. Sadly. Because its a lot of work, and its got just as much content and flavor as some other civs.
Very understandable.

Just waiting for it to be declared complete - though most of that is covered in the reply to your PM earlier. I know we keep moving the goalposts with new updates and such (which is a hazard of Mod-Mods - believe me, I know...) but as soon as you feel it's done, we want to play it ourselves...

Thank you all. And We'll see what can be done, my wife and I. Hope I don't seem too grim.

I'll get you an update next weekend.

And yeah, politics, first I was asked to handle the EU election campaign 'locally', but dodged that and instaed are working in a more humble capacity. Still there is going to be a lot of good modding time gone to waste trying to save labor rights and democracy. ;)

Ok, time to get on with this. I'm going to try to make Jotnar work on latest Fall Further this weekend. Anyone who feel like it can rate their 'top five' things I need to fix on the civ and I'll take it under consideration. Preferably among the things that are still red in this thread.

:)

Will the Slinger units of other races receive a special "Hey, I Am David, Yeah That David" ability, granting bonus damage against Giants? :)

I would wellcome a 'giant-slayer' promotion, I have no clue however how to make one. But I'd rather give a few heroe's giant-slaying. Perhaps Austrin's starting hero, and perhaps you can get a team of three warriors with giant-slaying through some unique event.

But not slinger in general ...

Adding Giant Slayer promotion would be very easy, if you also gave all the Giants a Giant racial promotion. You can just copy the way demon slaying works.

Adding Giant Slayer promotion would be very easy, if you also gave all the Giants a Giant racial promotion. You can just copy the way demon slaying works.

Big emphasis on this.

Please give a Giant racial promo to all giant units.

While you're at it, put +1 visibility range in that promo too. Since they can see farther from being so tall.

Excellent.

But a question, why do they gain experience slower?

I thought the jotnar were already handicapped, by having limited numbers of military units. Seems like it would be rather weak to have them be levelling slower too.

I haven't played this yet, though. I would like to, hopefully you can get it compatible with the current patch soon.

Top Bottom