Jotnar - Giant Civ for Fall from Heaven. Download Here.

Right now there are only two bugs holding me back. One is python, and that is not being able to replace the 'slave with Giantkin promotion' with a 'Jotnar Slave' unit. It just refuses to work. Its irritating, how hard should it be to take one unit and replace with another? Where is there any python code that does this?

The other one is an old bug, that I solved once. It is the Giantkin subpromotions, 'Renowned' etc. If you move the mouse over the darn icons, the game crashes. And I do not remember how i fixed it the last time it occured or what it was.. :mad::cry::mad:

But I will not have any time to work on this until mid-next-week.

This is most of the changes..

Changelist:

- Thrall Militia can be used to Hurry production with 2 hammers, they have a build cost of 10 hammers.
- Instaed of starting game with two Thrall Militia, Jotnar begins game with two Thrall Militia and one Jotnar Worker.
- Removed Crazed and Sentry from Wild Troll, Removed Loyalty and Sentry from Troll Hunter, Added Estranged to Wild Troll. Increased cost for Wild Troll to 150.
- Hill giants changed from beast to melee units.
- Giant Staedding no causes 'no civic anger' - ignores unhappiness caused by for example Republic civic used by neighbours.
- Giant slaying (+30% vs Giantkin) and Divine Rivalry (+50% vs Avatars) promotions created.
- Given Titans the Divine Rivalry promotion.
- Remodeled the Giantkin promotion
- Uxol, that have the Barbarian promotion, have a different relationship with Barbarians then most other Barbarian leaders. Can attack barbarian units
and wage war - but not take barbarian cities until the Barbarians declare war themselves.
- Removed medic 3 from jotnar archmage, and medic 2 from jotnar mage.
- Made sure all appropriate Jotnar units can bombard cities.
- Evened out the tier four units, Berserker, Troll Elder and Triton strengthwise.
- Created a new unit, the Thrall Cultist, a fanatic human unit. Requires Evil alignment and Mystisism.
- Jotnar Event, 'The search for lost children' Automatically triggered at Armageddon counter 20 - loose 3 population in all cities, 10% chance per city to
gain a Jotnar Adult.
- Remade Hill giant, Sea Serpent and Giant Tortoise.
-

All sounds good - though that event sounds very harsh on the Jotnar (big loss for a small chance of a gain). Also - do the Thrall militia require upkeep? If they're still the same strength as they once were, you need a large number in order to make them effective (and even then it's simply as something to tie up the attacking units for a while). If they were free upkeep units, they'd be very useful in that respect.

Right now there are only two bugs holding me back. One is python, and that is not being able to replace the 'slave with Giantkin promotion' with a 'Jotnar Slave' unit. It just refuses to work. Its irritating, how hard should it be to take one unit and replace with another? Where is there any python code that does this?
-

I did something like this, allowing captured workers to convert to the Malakim worker UU so they would build Caravan Routes rather than roads. I did it via spell so it would be easy to code, but I'm sure you could do it via the postcombat python function too.

For the spell, since you can't list a specific unittype but rather just unitclass as a prereq, I ended up making a dummy promotion that is autoacquired by non-Bedouin workers when controlled by the Malakim, and made that the prereq.

Code:
<SpellInfo>			<!-- Bedouin Conversion -->
	<Type>SPELL_BEDOUIN</Type>
	<Description>Desert Knowledge</Description>
	<Civilopedia></Civilopedia>
	<Strategy></Strategy>
	<PromotionPrereq1>PROMOTION_CONVERT</PromotionPrereq1>
	<CivilizationPrereq>CIVILIZATION_MALAKIM</CivilizationPrereq>
	<bAllowAI>1</bAllowAI>
	<bAbility>1</bAbility>
	<bDisplayWhenDisabled>1</bDisplayWhenDisabled>
	<ConvertUnitType>UNIT_WORKER_MALAKIM</ConvertUnitType>
	<Effect>EFFECT_SPELL1</Effect>
	<Sound>AS3D_SPELL_COMMANDER_JOIN</Sound>
	<Button>modules/malakimplus/buttons/caravan.dds</Button>
</SpellInfo>

Edit: I agree with Vehem, Thrall Militia would be much more useful if they were free upkeep units.

looks like some progress is being made! this be very good!! Love the jotnar because of the uuber improvements and uuber units.
Sidenote: how do i get the u with the dots on it?

I appriciate it. And tonight is the night, if nothing goes fubar I am planning on making it available today. But. I am making no promises.

The last version will be a folder you can copy-paste over Fall Further - and then its up to the Fall Further team to test it and implement it into the main Fall Further release that comes next.

Do you have any idea if adding it will break savegames? Will I be able to play jotnar games, and still play FF games from before installing the jotnar parts?

Not if any of the existing XML is changed. XML breaks savegames and Python doesn't, to my knowledge.

On another note, Arctic Circle, as when it gets rolled into Fall Further it'll be a part of Fall Flat by the nature of being in the main mod, if it takes Xien and the team more than the next patch to roll in the Jotnar, do you mind if I merge them into Fall Flat? It'd be a shame if they were unplayable for any length of time, as they're pretty cool.

Use or abuse Jotnar any way you feel like. :goodjob:

And, it will break savegames. Sorry. But worst case you can make a 'Fall Further' and a 'Fall Further w Jotnar' if you want to get more complicated. Its rather simple. You just make a copy of the Fall Further folder (with a new name) and copy-paste jotnar into it .. and change some setting in a game file I can't remember right now.

I don't recall changing any settings. If you don't do the right thing with the INI civ IV will just make a new one with default settings for the new folder.

Also, much appreciated.

Just a thought, the ability for thrall militia to hurry production by 2 hammers seems kind of pointless. It's only a 20% "refund", so to speak.

Soldiers of Kilmorph give 50% of their hammer cost back.

Just a thought, the ability for thrall militia to hurry production by 2 hammers seems kind of pointless. It's only a 20% "refund", so to speak.

Soldiers of Kilmorph give 50% of their hammer cost back.

It allows the Jotnar a chance to 'pool' hammers to have a chance to build for example Wonders before their neighbours. And they can do this from Turn 1 without the need for any Tech.

That means for example if you have nothing meaningful to build waiting 20 turns for a Tech to complete - you can pool up 20 Jotnar Thralls/city and gain a free +40 hammers/per city on the wonder the turn you research the tech.

This is especially useful for Pact of Nilhorn or Wall of the covenant. All Wonders you want to have -early-.

And, as mentioned, a 20% refund.

Its good enough.. :)

and no maintenance on those tralls you have had sitting around for 200 turns. SoK have a maintenance don't they?

I gorgot about the zero maintenance. That's good.

It would be neat to make them like zerglings, so that when you build one, you're given two.

Top Bottom