1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jotnar - Giant Civ for Fall from Heaven. Download Here.

Discussion in 'Fall Further' started by Arctic Circle, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Huh, so which version actually WORKS?

2. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

Well - my patch K version *works* - just not convinced I have all of the intended features...

3. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Is there some specific way to use the Mouth of the Divine? I just got one, but I can't seem to spread RoK with it.

Although, they have channeling III, and they start with Spirit I and II. I was able to learn Spirit III at level 2, having only discovered priesthood. A LOOOOONG way before Strength of Will.

IT seems that the jotnar are going to need some balancing work, once the bugs are sorted out.
    I know that AC is pretty much done with it. I'm mainly providing reports for Vehem and team.

4. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Don't you mind to give a link to it please ? :)

5. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Not going to do you a lot of good without the actual patch K for Fall Further :p

6. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Oh, I thought they were merged.

7. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

ah, it's awesome to see the giants finally out. thanx a lot Arctic Circle and everyone else who helped :)

8. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

the 2 :hammers: refund on thrall militia really isn't enough, I think.

The situation where you build them when there's nothing to build, doesn't seem to be happening. It's pretty rare to get enough production in any city, to run out of things to build.

Within each little 8 tile block, you have to accoun for as much production as you can get, and enough food to feed everyone. Even my best production cities are barely above the average city of a normal civ.

I think jotnar do have some issues with production.

9. Lemminkäinen

Lemminkäinen Warlord

OTOH they don't have to produce military units and they don't have health or happiness issues (basically), so they don't need buildings for those purposes. Also, they have way more cities than average as they don't need that much space and they have a special civic as well as a special building to cut down on maintenance. In other words, they don't need to have as high a production as normal civs.

Also note that they have huge bonuses for Water and Wind Mills, which take care of food problems and gives some production and commerce as well. Sure, building them takes forever, but since all the Citizens and Egrass can help and the size eight cities can produce Workers without losing growth I easily milled my territories well before the techs that make mills faster.

Jotnar do need lots of money though. Also, I wasn't able to upgrade to Hill Giants (had Cartography, Bronze Working and Barracks) for some reason. I fought Jonas back with just Egrass basically - he becomes a monster rather quickly. And Orthus's axe helped a lot. When I got Bambur the pair of a giant and a dwarf conquered the whole of Jonas's empire (of three cities as I had boxed him in early on).

Skalds are huge btw. The model could do with a bit of shrinking, I think.

Really liking the play style. Very unique and a very different experience. In my game the AC never went up, so I have lots of giants, but not enough money to upgrade them into Troll Hunters or Skalds (the two things I have available at the moment). For some weird reason Kahd are my neighbours and have been warring against me forever with Warriors and Scouts - I have Arcane Lore and Kahd has Warriors even though he has a medium sized empire - which is weird. Playing on Emperor, btw.

Huge thanks to the people who made this possible! :goodjob:

10. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

That's the original. I had looked at it after uploading and couldn't see it either... I remember seeing the promotion though. Maybe he forgot to add it?

11. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Wild trolls are only 5 gold, I'd imagine they form the core of your military force for a long time, despite being a recon unit.

I do agree about the gold, though. You end up with a LOT of jotnar citizens, that you can't really do anything with because almost every upgrade requires a ton of gold. They can be used as workers, true. but they're like slaves - half the workrate. So not so useful.

It would be nice if they had a cheap option to upgrade into a full worker.

12. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

I'm just finishing up some artwork for it (I had a play with the more common units along the Melee, Recon and Adept lines) then I'm going to get it packaged and posted. Once it's out there, this thread can be used for balance discussion (as it is already).

13. Valkrionn

14. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

Hmm, well you can just add it. It says in the SoK's description, so it should have it :)

About the gold, aim for a gold-rich strategy. The good and the neutral leaders are Financial, and the evil leader are Raider so you can war yourself into a high income. You might have to sacrifice some of your research speed to have enough gold to get the Jotnar units moving.

And please remember that Wild Trolls still pose a problem with their tendency to go nutz. :)

Jotnar adults also that you have hanging around still can defend with str 4 and gathers age, which when you upgrade them means instant jackpot. An 200 turn old Jotnar adult that is upgraded to a Hill Giant will become a Hill Giant with Base Strength 10.

15. Valkrionn

I could see the Giants getting increased yields from a mountain... They ARE big enough to be able to work one, after all. :lol:

16. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

Well - it appears that there's a reason that I went for the coding side rather than becoming an artist :D

I've made a few new unit graphics that look a little more consistent and "giant-ish", though the animations on the trolls are a little wonky.

17. Valkrionn

Are you going to put this out in an individual download first, or release it with the new patch?

Edit: Whoops, just checked the info for the next patch. Guess it's going mainstream. :lol:

18. Vehem

Vehem Modmod Monkey

All together - GIT is pulling the patch files as we speak - then it's just compile and upload.

19. Valkrionn

20. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

GIT? wut

The only graphical comcern I have so far, is that trolls get a sex change when they upgrade from "Wild troll" to "troll hunter"