1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jotnar - Giant Civ for Fall from Heaven. Download Here.

Discussion in 'Fall Further' started by Arctic Circle, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

Just remembering past discussions about Jotnar unit's ageing - the new tags would allow for aged-based promotions. (And promotion-based spells could give the equivalent of age-based upgrades.)

2. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

This sounds really awesome. ;)

Mid August I will pick up modding on Jotnar again, and I will definitly be looking into this sort of thing.

NOTE to self. Add these things, play around with various bonuses and rewards for keeping giant unit alive for a long time. What happens with such promo's when you take a Hill Giant --> Wielder of Arms?

NOTE to self, try adding promotion to Troll Elder, a spell that is lost with use but regained somehow. That 'summons the wild', aka calls down a -wildly- random number of wild trolls.

NOTE to self, with this we could throw away some promotion lines. Hill Giant --> Mature Giant --> Elder Giant (promotable to --> Titan). Wild Troll --> Troll Hunter --> Troll Elder.

:goodjob:

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

When you upgrade the unit they would keep the promotions unless you set them to <bMustMaintain> as well. And if they kept the promotion that would mean keeping the unit name as well. So the ideal would probably be to require that they be maintained and just have a seperate line of "ages" for each unitclass. Wouldn't HAVE to use the MustMaintain though since any new promotion with a NewName overrides any previous ones automatically.

4. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Warlord

Ok, so I've been playing this match as the Jotnar ((Aggresive AI, Blessings of Amathaon, Living World, Last Days, Broader Alignment)), it's turn 200, and not a single Jotnar Citizen has spawned. I've put the python code in and nothing. All the rest of the codes work, but not that one. Any idea what's going on? Or am I just REALLY unlucky?

5. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

That -can- happen. Try three new games, play them only (very quickly) to turn 40. If you got no Jotnar by then something is amiss.

My personal experience is that a Jotnar spawns every ~15-20 turns. Sometimes they pop like crazy. Also remember that you can have max 2 jotnar citizens per city.

Hmm.. put the python code in? You don't need to do that manually. Just use the BETA? If you've done it manually I can only guess you've managed to fumble the spawning piece of code. Download the BETA and copy the code from there.

Thank you for testing Jotnar ;)

6. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Warlord

Well, I tried that, still no Jotnar, so my only guess can be I f***ed something up. But I copied the code directly from the text document. Maybe I missed something. So I'll paste what I copied

if gc.getPlayer(iPlayer).getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_JOTNAR'):
    iMax = 2
    iMult = 500
    if CyGame().getGlobalCounter() >= 50:
    iMax = 2
    iMult = 800
    if CyGame().getGlobalCounter() >= 75:
    iMax = 3
    iMult = 900
    if CyGame().getGlobalCounter() == 100:
    iMax = 4
    iMult = 1200
    if CyGame().getSorenRandNum(10000, "Giants born") <= iMult:
    iMax = iMax * pPlayer.countNumBuildings(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_JOT_STAEDDING'))
    if pPlayer.getUnitClassCount(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_ADULT')) < iMax:
    iUnit = gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNIT_JOT_ADULT')
    newUnit = pPlayer.initUnit(iUnit, pPlot.getX(), pPlot.getY(), UnitAITypes.NO_UNITAI, DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_NORTH)
    CyInterface().addMessage(iPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_GIANT_BORN",()),'AS2D_DISCOVERBONUS',1,gc.getUnitInfo(newUnit.getUnitType()).getButton(),ColorTypes(8),pCity.getX(),pCity.getY(),True,True)
    newUnit.setLevel(1)
    newUnit.setExperience(1, -1)
    if pCity.getNumBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_JOT_HOUSE_OF_THE_ANCESTORS')) > 0:
    newUnit.setHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_SPIRIT_GUIDE'), True)

In CvEventManager under onCityDoTurn, so I don't know what's going on...

(Can't indent afaik, but it's indented in the right places, trust me)

7. Jhoniten

Jhoniten Warlord

comparing that to mine, only thing I see wrong is in line 18 of what you wrote. there should not be a space in CyTranslator. As far as getting it to ident properly, go to advanced and put it in code brackets. Here's direct cut and paste.

Code:
    		if gc.getPlayer(iPlayer).getCivilizationType() == gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_JOTNAR'):
    				iMax = 2
    				iMult = 500
    					iMax = 2
    					iMult = 800
    					iMax = 3
    					iMult = 900
    					iMax = 4
    					iMult = 1200
    					iMax = iMax * pPlayer.countNumBuildings(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_JOT_STAEDDING'))
    					if pPlayer.getUnitClassCount(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_ADULT')) < iMax:
    						newUnit = pPlayer.initUnit(iUnit, pPlot.getX(), pPlot.getY(), UnitAITypes.NO_UNITAI, DirectionTypes.DIRECTION_NORTH)
    						CyInterface().addMessage(iPlayer,True,25,CyTranslator().getText("TXT_KEY_MESSAGE_GIANT_BORN",()),'AS2D_DISCOVERBONUS',1,gc.getUnitInfo(newUnit.getUnitType()).getButton(),ColorTypes(8),pCity.getX(),pCity.getY(),True,True)
    						newUnit.setLevel(1)
    						if pCity.getNumBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_JOT_HOUSE_OF_THE_ANCESTORS')) > 0:
    							newUnit.setHasPromotion(gc.getInfoTypeForString('PROMOTION_SPIRIT_GUIDE'), True)

8. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Warlord

The text box is too short, so odd spaces like that pop up on the forums. There's no space in that, building, or promotion in the file

9. Jhoniten

Jhoniten Warlord

understandable, was just pointing it out in case it wasn't. Cut and paste mine over yours and see if it works then. I just played mine to about 300 turns and had more adults than I knew what to do with.

10. Aoleleb

Aoleleb Warlord

I actually did that, still nothing. However, I just found out that the spawning mechanism for the Scions doesn't work either, so I don't think it's the code, but something else

11. Jhoniten

Jhoniten Warlord

That is a more complicated merge. I say merge cause I use vista and have to put everything in one file to use it. Unfotunately I got several other things already merged in so it would be hard to say exactly where to put what without reconstructing the whole thing.

12. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

I am still not sure why you copy-paste, unless you are trying to run FfH + FF + Jotnar + Other mod mods.

Code:
    	def onCityDoTurn(self, argsList):
    		'City Production'
    		pCity = argsList[0]
    		iPlayer = argsList[1]
    		pPlot = pCity.plot()
    		pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(pCity.getOwner())

if pCity.getPopulation() > 10:
    				iPop = 10
    				pCity.setPopulation(iPop)
    				iCul = pCity.getCulture(pCity.getOwner())
    				iCul = 50
    				pCity.setCulture(iCul)

iMax = 2
    				iMult = 500
    					iMax = 2
    					iMult = 800
    					iMax = 3
    					iMult = 900
    					iMax = 4
    					iMult = 1200
    					if pPlayer.getUnitClassCount(gc.getInfoTypeForString('UNITCLASS_JOT_ADULT')) < iMax:
    						newUnit.setLevel(1)

if pCity.getNumRealBuilding(gc.getInfoTypeForString('BUILDING_CITADEL_OF_LIGHT')) > 0:
    This works perfectly... and I reccomend using Notepad++ or something more advanced.

13. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

Note to self, create new promotion 'giant kin' that gives increased visibility, no loss of movement for terrain and able to cross uncrossable terrain (aka mountain). Add this promotion to all giant units. Then this promotion can be tweaked back and forth instaed of -every- jotnar unit. Add also to settlers and workers.

Note to self, look into giving Jotnar the ability to use Mountain squares for +2 hammers, +1 commerse, +1 food. There are some mod that uses mountain terrasses for some native american people that have made this work.

14. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

*bump*

so how's development going on this one? I'm really looking forward to seeing them in FF, much love for the giant race. I've loved giants since the very first Warlords game :D

15. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

Due to several things, among them some really heavy personal problems. The kind you go offline permanently from and do not even leave a witty remark as your civilization have been wiped out. But mostly me taking charge of my life with martial arts, security certifications, spending free time getting better at my job etc its been a little stalled.

I am intending to get started again, my wife I know is itching for it. I am planning for a 1.0 version before the end of 2008 - perhaps not with all features I'd wanted but many of those mentioned here in the thread. This 1.0 version will hopefully be adopted by Vehem and Fall Further as I then will declare it 'stable'.

One thing I am also waiting for.. a little.. is for Talq to declare the scions 'done' and for the general consensus to declare it 'not madly unbalanced'. I have some vague memory of the plan being that Talq were to put an end to his project and including it and the Jotnar in one package, a package I could then work on to make Jotnar 1.0 and Scions Full Version and hand over to Vehem.

I am also aware of that there are a lack of genuine original art in the Jotnar project, but honestly that is what I am the -least- interested in fiddling with. But with some hope I can get some volenteers to make some nice stuff for version 1.0.

Sorry for the dissapearing act. I've been right here. ;)

16. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

I'm sorry to hear that you have had issues, hope it's all solved now and I sincerely wish you the best of luck :)

on a side note: looking forward to jotnar+scions in FF ;)

17. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

I am very happy that you are interested in playing Jotnar. :)

18. Niley

Niley Chieftain

Uh, sorry for not reading this whole topic... not enough time to do so... But I'll ask anyway. Is it going to work with the very latest version of Fall Further? This modmod looks really, really well-made and I look forward to testing it.

19. Arctic Circle

Arctic Circle Prince

When I sit myself down to work on Jotnar it will be working for the latest version of FF. Yes, absolutly.

20. Tathain

Tathain Chieftain

Ok, so I'm kinda new to this and am no programmer so I'm sorry if this is unhelpful but here are the problems I'm having with this mod.

First off, I'm running Vista & FF .42. The install wasn't quite as smooth as the post lead me to beleive either. I had to go into the ini file "fall further 042" and manually change modular loading to 1 (as shown in the alpha post) since the ini file loaded by the mod simply read "fall further" and wasn't being accessed by the mod.

So what's happening is durring load up I get 3 different XML tag errors. It tells me that:

XML tag: BUILDINGCLASS_OBELISK in info class is incorrect
    current XML: modules\jotnar\buildings\jotnar_civ4buildinginfos.xml

XML tag: UNITCLASS_GYPSY_WAGON in info class is incorrect
    current XML: modules\jotnar\civ\jotnar_civ4civilizationinfos.xml

XML tag: UNITCLASS_DRAGONSHIP in info class is incorrect
    current XML: modules\jotnar\civ\jotnar_civilizationsinfos.xml

My play experience so far is that the game loads, Jotnar is sellectable, I can start the game, and then the whole program crashes when I end turn one. I've tried this three times.

Am I just trying to run a mod which is not set to work with FF .42 yet? Any suggestions would be wonderful as this looks like more great content which I would dearly love to try.