Jotnar - Giant Civ for Fall from Heaven. Download Here.

Well. I don't seem to make the python work anyhow. However it makes sence to me that if anyone had the physical capacity to terraform the physical landscape, it would be organised giants. But I assume it is a little over the top. ;)

Right now I have done..

- Spawning of Jotnar Citizens are modified in such a way that less and less Jotnar spawned as the Armageddon counter rises, while more citizens per city are allowed. The giant race gives birth to less and less children and the end draws near.

- Jotnar cannot build City of a thousand slums wonder.

- Culture boost of +50 now working when Jotnar cities -should- grow from 10 --> 11. Jotnar cities are limited to max 10 in size.

- Jotnar now have access to a buildable melee class, Orc Conscripts when armageddon counter reaches 30+. Similar to Axemen yet a little cheaper and
causes no war unhappiness by dying.

- Egrass the Jotnar national hero is reduced to being a 2/6 --> 2/4 at the beginning of the game.

- The Sea-giant, Triton, now have subdue animals and subdue beasts to capture the creatures of the sea.

- All Jotnar units that truly are giants, now carry the promotion 'Giantkin'.

- Seriously turned down the rate of spawned giant citizens (special units that can be upgraded to various units OBS Jotnar cannot build most
units -only- promote them from the jotnar citizens), starting with a 3% per city and turn, and the chance diving steeply downwards as the armageddon
counter rises. A real incitament for Jotnar players to keep down the armageddon counter.

- Jotnar Giant units now age 50/seasoned 100/renowned 200/prominent 300/legendary and increases in strength & defence, the damage from the spellcasters also increase in potency. Giantkin promotion required.

Other tweaks I've been thinking of:

? Allowing Jotnar cities max size 8 instaed of 10.
? Giving the elder Jotnar giants some additional perks, for example legendary giants of tier 4 some nifty spell
? Creating a Jotnar only world spell 'Galeh-Moman' - the great river of tears. All Jotnar Citizens (note: only Jotnar Citizens, not Units) have 10% to gain the hero promotion, the rest dies. Perhaps adjusted so no more then ten will die and no more then one can gain hero promotion. See story below.* Let me again point out that these units are not buildable and using it is a -huge- cost or gamble for the player building the project. Possibly a spell available only for a Legenday Vala that also sacrifices the unit.
? Triton (sea-giant) being able to move fish recourses.
? Give the 'vanilla' Hill Giant unit the promotion Giantkin.

I have to deal with the Berserker and the Triton units graphics. But I don't have much left after that.

*As the births dwindle and the Jotnar race fall short, as fewer and fewer children are born - the giants suffer from a horrible despair. The greatest of the mages, the High Vala have a vision where all the younglings leave their homes with nothing more then the clothes they wear and go to the mountains to seek an answer - few will return but among those that do will be one that will save their race as the world crumbles. After he spoke to the people with his face filled with tear, he died .. some say from grief alone.

wow, everything sounds very good. on the stuff you're not yet sure about:

max cities 8 instead of 10 depends just on game balance I guess.

additional perks for elders are good as is the worldspell, but I strongly suggest that it's something you often benefit from instead of a huge gamble - right now I don't think many people are going to use it :p

the triton idea is nice, I guess they need it badly since their cities can only work the first ring of tiles. giving giantkin to the hill giants makes sense, and I also think that they shouldn't be considered animals.

Actually Hill Giants are Beasts and not Animals. But having early Hill Giants as well as Larry, Curly and Moe being animals is originally a way to keep the Hill Giants waltzing in over your borders but have resulted in a rather nice balance issue since Hunters are rather nasty against them.. unless I am misstaken.

But I could make vanilla and jotnar giants Melee instaed of Beast.. I don't know what Vehem feels about that.

Thank you for your intrest :)

you're right, they're beast units, just checked ;) maybe they should be considered melee, but barbarian hill giants spawning in the fog get AI_ANIMAL so that they don't venture into cultural borders?

- Jotnar Giant units now age 50/seasoned 100/renowned 200/prominent 300/legendary and increases in strength & defence, the damage from the spellcasters also increase in potency. Giantkin promotion required.

Is that using the Min/Max age promotion fields? Very nice way of using if so :D

Arctic Circle said:
Actually Hill Giants are Beasts and not Animals. But having early Hill Giants as well as Larry, Curly and Moe being animals is originally a way to keep the Hill Giants waltzing in over your borders but have resulted in a rather nice balance issue since Hunters are rather nasty against them.. unless I am misstaken.

But I could make vanilla and jotnar giants Melee instaed of Beast.. I don't know what Vehem feels about that.

No problem with the Jotnar ones - would need to check the behaviour of the barbarian ones. It also actually makes them fairly vulnerable to "Shock-troops". More so than the hunter issue...

Is that using the Min/Max age promotion fields? Very nice way of using if so :D

Yes, and thank you. I think that one have to spend a lot of time when playing Jotnar in more long-term games with minimizing the risk of loosing giant units and I hope to give an unique experience. Giants are powerful, and they grow more powerful as they age - yet they are more and more irreplacable as the armageddon counter rises. It will need balancing tweaks, but I hope we can look at such further in the future when its been in Fall Further for a few months and versions.

:)

No problem with the Jotnar ones - would need to check the behaviour of the barbarian ones. It also actually makes them fairly vulnerable to "Shock-troops". More so than the hunter issue...

Hmm, explain that about Shock-troops?

I believe he was talking about Swordsmen, and units like them, that receive bonuses vs melee.

Pretty much any unit with the "Shock" promotions, +40% vs Melee for Shock I, same again for Shock II.

Vehem, Arctic would you include Jotnars into FF? Perhaps, into the version for FfH 0.34, which will be released on October 10?...

Pretty much any unit with the "Shock" promotions, +40% vs Melee for Shock I, same again for Shock II.

It is partly up to Vehem relating to what he feels needs doing before it can be added, and partly (perhaps mostly) up to me concerning how much I want to do and how fast I do it.

No specific plans are made. The general plan that I am Vehem discussed is to get a stable 1.0 version of Jotnar and then add it to FF.

Yes. This is yet another reason I like the Troll's in Jotnar, there are no vs' Recon promotion. And the Trolls regenerate.. :D

Speaking of which. The Jotnar Cyclops are a dead end (replaces rangers and are a standalone in the 'troll' line) whom cannot be upgraded further (somewhat fixed by aging) but I'd need a unique/fun/useful tweak to them. They are already nerfed by the fact that they start 'charmed', aka they cannot attack anything until the effect of the charmed promotion wears off. Any suggestions?

you could give them the same mechanic of the triton ( moving around seafood ) , but with livestock instead ( sheep, cow, pigs etc. ) . and/or, let them heal when they are standing on one of those resources' tiles ( sheep are tasty, you know :lol: ) , maybe with a chance to delete the resource from the tile when this is done in enemy territory. :D

maybe with a chance to delete the resource
I hope you forgot a P letter: to "dePlete" not "delete" because it would be a game breaker if it removed them permanently. However temporary disfunction of the resource (scaled in terms of the game speed) would be nice.

actually I meant delete, but I agree that deleting a resource forever is very harsh. you're right, a temporary disfunction would work better ;)

If a Jotnar unit can move a resource, its gonna be a permanent move. And if its a risk of failure, its a permanent loss. No game is going to be won or lost due to the access to one sheep or fish recourse. And stealing other nations fish for example would trigger war.

Unless Vehem objects.

Top Bottom