Jotnar?

mo123567

Worst modder ever!
I hadn't played in awhile so I just recently updated to patch N to start a new game. Where is the Jotnar civ? I see them in the civilopedia but I couldn't select them in the game set-up screen.

They're listed at the very bottom currently, even below the Random option.

I noticed I couldn't select Jotnar for AI civs. It looks like, on my install at least, Jotnar were set to Player Only for the custom random races options (forget what it's called exactly but there's a game setup option that opens a window allowing you to set each civ to Restricted, Player Only, AI Only; it's labeled as about random civ selection but it limits the civs available to choose as well). Maybe you have a similar problem and Jotnar are marked as Restricted or AI Only so you don't see them as an option?

You CAN set jotnar as an AI civ, but it works a little oddly.

You have to go into custom game, select the restrict random civs option. And unrestrict the jotnar.

Then quit the screen, and re-enter. It will work then. Same applies to mercurians, and infernals if you want to add them from the start.

Thanks for the answers. Does anyone know if the Jotnar will be made available to the AI by the designers eventually? I'm sure they're disabled now for a reason.

The AI tends to be not very good at handling unit upgrades; I have a suspicion that until some serious civ-specific AI work is done (not sure how much has been done if any in this regard for Jotnar), the AI would have no clue how to deal with the Jotnar unit mechanic. I can imagine it spamming its little 1/2 Thralls in a panic to compensate for its apparent lack of combat unit options.

The AI tends to be not very good at handling unit upgrades; I have a suspicion that until some serious civ-specific AI work is done (not sure how much has been done if any in this regard for Jotnar), the AI would have no clue how to deal with the Jotnar unit mechanic. I can imagine it spamming its little 1/2 Thralls in a panic to compensate for its apparent lack of combat unit options.

And I still say that's a perfectly viable strategy. XD Seriously, you can do wonders with little, free, +.5 happy 1/2 deffenders... Especially since they are so cheap even my weakest cities can pop one per turn. Even if it's pure cannon fodder... And let's not forget what it could do with Soulforge and Mokka's Cauldron if you put a city in a pass that they HAVE to get through... :p

the balseraph AI seems to handle upgrading pretty well
When I'm fighting them, I frequently fac swordsmen upgraded from freaks. They're smart enough to keep only the good freaks, and upgrade them.

You don't have to leave the screen completely, just disable a player slot, then re-enable it for an AI player, and the assignment list will refresh itself.

I just tried this in Patch N

Afraid not. The assignment list doesn't refresh by doing that.
If it's supposed to, you might want to fix that.

Hey, how about allowing Hill Giants to make ranged attacks with boulders?

Uh, this'll be a stupid question that I think I know the answer to, but does Spirit Guide pick particular units? 'cause.. as hilariousas it is, I don't think a Human Thrall with like 30 experience is going to be using it much..

The Jotnar take an incredible amount of time to play multiplayer to the point of annoyance if your playing against them not using timed turns. I like them single player. I have both played them and against them multiplayer we both agreed not to use them in multiplayer. They get up to 35 cities pretty quick.

Well, I'm playing a game with them played by the AI right now. They seem to have it figured out. They're at the top of the score list, they've got about...6-7 Troll Hunters. They look like typical FF AI as far as I can tell.

Does anyone else have experience playing with them as AI?
One potential problem I see, is that the Jotnar AI benefits MASSIVELY from the -75% upgrade costs that they naturally get, because their whole civ is pretty much focused around upgrading. That's pretty unbalancing for an AI jotnar, but I do wonder if they'd just crumble and fail without it.

I like having the Jotnar as an AI in my games..mainly because I haven't seen them become anything like a serious civ that's worth thinking of as competition, and I'm just waiting for them to do so.

So far, I see them max out at something like 5 cities before submitting and swearing vassalage to some other, more aggressive civ.

Does anyone else have experience playing with them as AI?
One potential problem I see, is that the Jotnar AI benefits MASSIVELY from the -75% upgrade costs that they naturally get, because their whole civ is pretty much focused around upgrading. That's pretty unbalancing for an AI jotnar, but I do wonder if they'd just crumble and fail without it.

In the thread where we discussed AI upgrades, we seemed to pretty much figure out that every civ whores out upgrading the way the Jotnar are supposed to.

Yep. The AI will, for instances, near-instantly upgrade all of its city defending warriors to Archers when it gets Archery, because it is too dumb to build archers right after.

Hey! A sudden thought: Could this explain the archer hordes? The AI goes "hey, need some attackers, lets build warriors!" then once they're built they say "Hey, I can upgrade this warrior for pennies on the dollars to an Archer!" and then you end up with an AI that has roving bands of archers, crippling its unit supply costs as this cycle repeats itself ad infinitum.

Top Bottom