Journey to Nowhere - Game Thread

Splime

Regular Lurker
Journey to Nowhere - Game Thread

For the beginning of the story, plus game discussion, visit the Sign-Up and Discussion Thread

Rules:

Welcome to Journey to Nowhere, a forum game where you control a character trying to survive in the wilderness. The idea behind this game is that the players drive it. (To sign up, see this thread.) Every turn, you have at least 48 hours (usually 72) to PM your turn orders to me. Orders are your character’s actions: What to build, what to shoot, and whatever else you may wish to do. The situation in Journey to Nowhere will often be uncertain – orders should take this into account by saying what the character will do in certain situations. However, don’t worry – when something completely unexpected happens, I will simulate what your character does as well as I can, based on their past actions and personality.

Also, when you write your orders, keeping track of your inventory may be important. I keep track of everything, but for realism purposes, not much gets displayed in public. Whenever a significant change occurs with your inventory, I will try to inform you. Otherwise, you can always ask me for an update on your inventory.

While a turn is occurring, there are other things you will want to do. The game thread is where all in game discussion occurs, where characters will discuss their strategy for moving forward. Please stay in character when doing this. If you have any questions about the game itself, designate these with “OOC” (Out of Character), so that they stand apart from in-game speech. If I ever need to figure out what your character will do, I may use the thread to determine their actions. Also, PMs between characters are definitely allowed – PMs are just like a few people talking in a secluded area.

As the game progresses, the players are truly in charge. I’ll try to limit any sort of artificial rules, such as no talking at night, calling votes that determine how people will act, etc. When I make game rules, they will be natural – talking at night attracts unwanted attention, going against a popular vote causes resentment.

A Note About the Calendar:
Dates in this game will be given in dd.mm.yy format. In this game, the year of the rebel’s escape is Year 00. There are 12 months in every year, and 30 days in every month. The Month names are as follows:

Snowbound (Month 01)
Chillwind (Month 02)
Meltmonth (Month 03)
Planting (Month 04)
Blooming (Month 05)
Daybound (Month 06)
Sunmount (Month 07)
Summersend (Month 08)
Harvest (Month 09)
Leavesfall (Month 10)
Frostmonth (Month 11)
Nightbound (Month 12)

This was done so that the constant number of days is not confusing – February 30th is a bit of an odd occurrence.

Characters:

Alen (Chandrasekhar)
- 15 year old Male
- Carries a Repeating Crossbow

Mike Hammer (LightFang)
- 26 year old Male
- Carries a Pistol

Dr. Richard Of Eastduke (Love)
- 29 year old Male
- Carries Many Drugs and a Pistol

Benedick “Dickie” Barrow (Winston Hughes)
- Male, Late 30’s
- Carries a Bolt Action Rifle

Terni Hans (Charles Li)
- 42 year old Male
- Carries a Hunting Rifle

Selena Demas (oyzar)
- 33 year old Female, Fairly Light but Strong
- Carries a SMG

The Ronin (The13thRonin)
- Male, Unknown Age
- Carries a Hunting Rifle

Journey to Nowhere – 0600 hrs, 21.05.00 (Update 0)

It’s been 24 hours since the first missiles hit Areville. Most of the town is now a smoking ruin, with what’s left being run by the Vlatixan Empire. The rebellion has been decimated, with the last remnants hiding in the sewers, taking shots at the Vlatixan soldiers from below the drains. However, most of them are dead too. Many of the sewers caved in during the assault, and those that haven’t caved in are either sealed off from the exit, or cleaned out by Vlatixan troops.

The cause hasn’t been completely destroyed, however. At 0700 yesterday morning, after the initial wave of missiles stopped, a group of 12 people escaped Areville into the woods. They all came from different walks of life, but had one thing in common: they wanted to keep the idea of rebellion alive. This group was extraordinarily lucky — they managed to avoid death by the missiles, and avoid the incoming waves of Vlatixan soldiers. Had they went in any direction but south, they would have walked straight into certain death.

The one who started the escape plan, along with a few friends, was Ryan Hall, a 25 year old man who has been faced with misfortune before. His parents never married, and they died soon after his birth anyway. He was raised by his uncle, who was killed in the missile attack. Soon to join the party was Ninosca, a 29 year old woman. While she spoke with a foreign accent, she was still easily understandable by everyone else. Like a true rebel, she carried an AK47 as she left the town. Thomas Berube-Giguere was another one of the early ones to join. Thomas, a 17 year old teenage boy, was heading towards the woods to meet up with the rebels, but found them along the way. He was visibly shaken—the building he was directly hit by missile fire. Thomas was thrown out of the building by the blast, but he managed to survive.

This group of three found others along the way. Alen, a 15 year old teenage boy, was wandering the streets with his crossbow. When Alen saw the three rebels running down the street, he quickly joined them, making it four. Soon thereafter, a 23 year old man named Gavin came across the party. Gavin was headed in the same direction, and had the same goal — escape Areville. Jeremy Bentham, an intimidatingly large 48 year old man, found this group of escapees, and joined them on their way south.

By now, the party had left the central part of town, and was going through the industrial district. The usual smog of the factories had been replaced by smoke from the burning rubble left by the missiles. At this time, they found Dr. Richard Of Eastduke, a 23 year old man who looked fairly wealthy. He looked shocked by the missile attack, and joined the group silently. Then the group saw a small group of royal guards around the corner that were still somehow left in the city. After a few gunshots, all of the guards were killed. The party then found Benedick “Dickie” Barrow, an old-looking man who had been running away from those guards. He also had a dog with him, who was scrawny, but still somewhat tough-looking.

At this point, the party of eight was very close to the woods, going through the farmland at about 0800 in the morning. This is when they ran into a teenage boy simply referred to as “The Brewer”. He had been on a visit to the countryside when the missiles hit Areville. They also ran into Mike Hammer, a 26 year old man who often defended the city from the Vlatixan forces. However, when the missiles came down, he understood that he would have to leave or die. The last person to join the escape party was Benjamin Cook, a 23 year old man, who ran into the party on his own escape attempt. He decided to join the party when he realized that an escape would be much easier with the help of others. Benjamin Cook already had a bit of a legend behind him, as it was rumored he managed to steal weapons from a nearby Vlatixan armoury.

By this point, the party had reached the end of the fields, and was facing the start of the forest. After running some distance into the woods, they could finally slow down, now that they were away from threat of missiles, and they began to slowly move through the woods, watchful for any Imperial forces. By midday, they were fairly deep into the woods, but the sounds of gunfire were still audible, and everyone was still on edge. After a quick rest, and some food, they kept going until sunset, when they set up their tents, and tried to sleep for the night. After the events of the day, however, nobody could sleep.

It is now 0600 hrs, 21st of Blooming (Month 05), Year 00. Each person has 7 days of rations left (excluding any special inventories). The next turn will last 24 game hours. The deadline for orders is Midnight on Monday February 23rd/Tuesday February 24th, GMT (7 PM EST). (I would prefer orders within the next 48 hours if possible.) If you need extra time, or won’t be able to turn in orders, please let me know.

Status Report:
You are in the woods, which are of moderate density. They’re not so sparse that you can see Areville, but they’re not so dense you can’t see the sky. You have come from the north, where you can hear occasional gunfire. To the east and west are more woods, and to the south are denser forests.

As a group, your movement choices are:
- Stay put. Not recommended, as you’re still fairly close to Areville, and visible if the Vlatixan forces fly above.
- Move north. To do so would be extraordinarily stupid, but still possible.
- Move deeper into the forest (South). This is probably the best choice.
- Move East or West. Much like with staying put, you are fairly close to civilization.

You will probably want to establish some system of leadership. How you do that is up to you, however – it’s not up to me to call a vote.

Another rebel (Methos’s character) should be on his/her way shortly. This rebel was meant to meet up with the group near the woods, but got caught up dealing with other business.

(These recommendations will only be around for the first few turns, to get you guys used to the game. They’ll be gone soon.)

You may now post!

First order of business is of course introductions. I'm a scout with a background in sniper training via my uncle who helped start the rebellion. He's dead now. I did manage to grab a couple bear traps though before I left- don't know what exactly we could do with them. Hunting maybe or human hunting. As for my ability, imagine there was game. Lets call it... oh I don't know... Civ4 BTS. Now imagine there was a unit in that game called a "spy"... that's sort of what I do. I can be completely camouflaged and I'm good at rooting out hidden enemies. Nothing like sabotage or anything- I'd need equipment for that and wouldn't be any better at it than any of you.

Now on to the leader. We should definitely have democratic elections... I'll do it if nobody else has any objections. I was the first one on this little expedition after all. If somebody is better qualified then please step forward.

My vision of leader is just having that extra half vote that will decide our ties. We have an even number of people after all (once Methos hooks up) so 6 on 6 ties will turn into 6.5 on 6 ties, leading to a decision. The leaders definitely should NOT be an autocrat.

OCC: A crossbow? :lol: nice :goodjob:

We've got two snipers, sounds like a lot of fun :D

Well, as you all may know, I was a travelling merchant that came into the city just before the rebellion started. I'm not a particular fan of the Vlatixian system and so I decided to use my skills in procuring arms and other nifty bits for the rebel cause.
I'm essentially a scrounger and salvager (a polite way of saying thief) and given the opportunity, could probably help us obtain useful equipment (for CCrunner's sabotage?)

Regarding the leader, I would just like someone who's really able and would not get us killed.

I'm essentially a scrounger and salvager (a polite way of saying thief) and given the opportunity, could probably help us obtain useful equipment (for CCrunner's sabotage?)
No no no, I'm not a saboteur. I was merely distancing myself from the actions of this hypothetical "spy" unit. I move and cloak like that unit, as well as uncover invisible enemies somewhat like that unit. I do nothing else associated with that such as theft and sabotage better than any of you do. Sorry I was misunderstood.

I edited this in but it probably got lost in BL's post-
My vision of leader is just having that extra half vote that will decide our ties. We have an even number of people after all (once Methos hooks up) so 6 on 6 ties will turn into 6.5 on 6 ties, leading to a decision. The leaders definitely should NOT be an autocrat.

*Dickie sits under a makeshift shelter (made out of a filthy overcoat propped up by a battered old rifle), along with his rather pathetic-looking dog.*

Whadja think, Daz? Any of this lot make a good leader?

*The dog looks at his master.*

Me? Well, old chum, that's awful kind of you... But I reckon as you'd do a better job than I could. Ain't much for dealin' with people, me.

*They sit and watch the other rebels, who can't help but notice an unpleasant smell in the air. Whether this emanates from Dickie or Dazzler is not clear at the present time.*

Sure, introductions, that sounds nice.

Mike Hammer's very slight accent sounds like he's from perhaps a less civilized part of the Vlaxitan Empire. A part where everything's big. A part famous for its past general lawlessness and current propensity for guns. That part--doesn't every state have one? But his accent's very slight. In conjunction with his disarming smile, it's charming, kind of, if you're into that sort of thing.

Name's Mike Hammer, I'm from a wee small town that you've probably never heard of. Moved to the city to get an education and I got one. Never expected to be a rebel, really, but here I am, throwing my lot with y'all.

I build things for a living. Trained as an engineer, but I specialize in wood. Fact, I've been doin' some thinking about our future prospects, and I can help us hole up at some sort of base in the future. But first we have to get out of here alive.

He gives a finalizing nod.

So, anyway, that's me in a nutshell. Not much to brag about, I know. But for what it's worth, we should settle things democratically. I didn't join this cause to enable another despot. The leader's role should be reduced to tiebreaker.

OOC

-Good luck all! Thanks to Splime for hosting a game.

Question: Will you PM us letting us know what details of our character outline were allowed? I'm thinking of the special abilities and the items and such. Or shall we have to ask?

Well... I am, or rather, was, the youngest Head Chef of the Hotel de Class, where the General Himself was staying. I am an expert tracker, as well as cook. If anything moves within earshot, or we cross the days old path of enemies, I will know. I will also be providing you with food, hunted by me, and prepared in a new, exciting way each day.

OOC: LightFang: If you're playing now, then your character's been approved completely.

"Introductions? I guess they won't harm... I'm Ninosca. I've... Got plenty of experience with guerilla warfare where I come from, since I was just a girl... Perhaps the age of Alen or a little bit younger... No offense meant, Alen.

I'm pretty handy with a weapon. Broken weapons aswell... If any of you have been uninsightful enough to bring a weapon that breaks easily, you'll need me."

Ninosca pauses and looks around at the others weapons briefly.

"Luckily, it doesn't look like that. Still, I am sure it'll come in handy sooner or later. If you want more info, that'll be once we are further south. We aren't safe here.

As for a leader... It sounds reasonable that we should act as democratic as possible, so a leader would only be needed for tiebreaking. Still, I'd like to lead us. It seems most of you aren't really aware of what is happening around here. I don't mean to sound condescending, but now is not the best time to sit 'neath a tree and talk to your dog. Now is the time to get moving."

Alright. I'm a really hungover doctor with first aid. I'm from eastduke, the rich part of the country in the east. As you can hear from my accent, i am from the upper class. I still hate the government. They ripped me from my life in the capital city to move to a clinic in the woods outside Areville. Probably because of the operation while drunk. We should move south, find a river too narrow for any boats to passage. Establish a base under trees so we won't be visible from the air. When we have gotten control over the situation and have gotten things rolling, we should move up to the hills and establish a second base, from where we could assault them with guerrilla warfare. And save your ammo! We will always have a restricted arsenal.

Since I am educated, I'd want to lead us, at least the group that's going south. Cooperation is very important for us to survive. So i strongly suggest anyone who is not going south to change your mind

I have medecines, but i'm only dealing them out to people who need aid. (I diagnose them) but i will hand out aspirin just because of sympathy.

Right now, no one with injuries i should take care of?

Also I strongly suggest we move south.

*As Dr. Richard finished his speech, Dickie stopped swinging the improvised golf club and looked up at the other rebels. For a moment, it seemed that he was about to address the group. But, instead, he just sighed deeply and sat down on the ground, deep in thought.*

Top Bottom