1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Judicial election - Term 1

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy IV' started by Bootstoots, Jan 3, 2004.

?

Who should be elected to the Fanatican Judiciary?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2004.
  1. Bootstoots

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Cyc

12 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. donsig

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. naervod

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Peri

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. ravensfire

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. Vander

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. zorven

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  9. Abstain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Please vote for any of the above candidates (or Abstain, of course). The candidate who places first in this election will become the Chief Justice, and the second and third place candidates will become Associate Justices. This poll will be open for 48 hours.

2. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Please vote for Cyc, People. We need to regain control of the game from the Executive Elite. Don't let them run away with the game. Put a man in the CJ Office that will defend the rights of the citizens, the Mayors, and the Governors. This section of the population needs representation in the High Court. I will work for you!

VOTE FOR CYC!

3. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

I voted for Cyc. I am the so called "Executive Elite" (dont ask me why... I just am), but I agree with Cyc that we need someone strong on the bench. Even when it came to PIing me (DGII, Penguin PI), he didnt let me off easy (despite the fact the jury did :p ). Vote Cyc!

4. Bill_in_PDX

Bill_in_PDX Grumpy Submariner

I have great respect for many of the candidates here, heck, all the candidates, but I choose to vote for Cyc, who will bring the best qualities to the office.

5. ybbor

ybbor Will not change his avata

so much for a secret ballot...

6. naervod

naervod My current user title

I am withdrawing from this election, as I am opting to be Trade and Technology Deputy and focus my energies on that. Also, I cannot hold the deputy position and a judicial position at the same time.

7. TerminalMan90

TerminalMan90 Citizen @ Large

Only one vote per person. But my hope is Cyc, Ravensfire, Zorven

8. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Though one. Cyc, Ravensfire, Peri, actually all have proven to be excellent players, citizens, chatters and leaders. I am happy with anyone wearing the poofy wig.

But my vote goes to Cyc because I voted for him originally for CJ.

All the best to all candidates and remember: from the ones not chosen I pick someone for VP. If you don't want it, please let me know.

9. naervod

Actaully, I will stay in the election, because I want to be considered for VP.

10. zorven

zorven 12,000 Suns

Vote zorven for the Judiciary. I believe I have consistantly shown my fairness and objectivity in both general forum discussions and in my 2 terms in the Judiciary in DG3. In my Judiciary experience I have shown that I was open to listening to all sides in a debate, weighed carefully the facts involved, and shown a strict adherence to the written ruleset. I am the one you want defending our written laws - Vote zorven for the Judiciary.

11. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

this has got to be one of the hardest votes ive ever done. I see 5 very good candidates. Im going to have to think on this one.

12. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

It's unfortunate there is not an easy way to do a 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice poll. The AJ positions will go to CJ candidates with marginal support.

Also only 19 votes so far? Did 21 people leave already?

I wonder how many people are looking at the vote total first and trying to manipulate the overall vote by casting their individual vote carefully? In a normal democracy that wouldn't be possible...

13. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Just as I had suspected.............

This system obviously doesn't work because now it looks like Peri will be without the job he won fair and square using the other system. This method spreads the votes way too thin, and is preferential to small voting blocks. If this is the best we can do here, we should at least make this election multi-choice.

And yet it looks like we will have a Chief Justice that has no problem with this method. So it is almost certain that there will be no solution for this problem in Term 1. I am also concerned that Chief Justice Cyc will let his personal opinion affect his rulings, as is evidenced by his confrontational manner in discussions as well as his somewhat biased campaign speech. A Chief Justice should not pledge his allegiance to any voting block, but should strive to uphold the letter of the law. If you want pure objectivity, you must look to Peri, Ravensfire or zorven.

I also have a problem with having someone on the ballot(no offense, donsig) who didn't state his intent until after the original nomination process.

But alas, I was a major part of the problem, so I will end my rant here. You vote 'em in, Fanatica. And then enjoy the fireworks. :lol:

14. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

BTW, I voted for Peri, who I am almost certain would be the second or third choice of most of the voters if they were allowed. Yet I am the first person to vote for him! My second and third choice of Ravensfire and zorven are poorly represented in the polls here as well. :(

I hope we elect the right people to adequately address this calamity.

15. Cyc

Vote for Cyc! There is nothing wrong with pledging allegiance to the public as a whole, which is what I have done. I have not forgotten where I have come from Moderator Donovan Zoi. Care to tell your players of the Game you moderate who should be the Judiciary again?

16. naervod

I would like to urge every considering voting for me to vote for Peri instead.

17. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Discussion has started here on a proposal for amending the CoS for judiciary elections, which would be active in term 2 if it is adopted.

18. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Oh, I get it......I am the executive elite. :lol:

That answer once again is: Peri, Ravensfire or zorven. ;)

My apologies if my vocal endorsements offend you, Cyc. In my position as Moderator, it is in my best interests to have the Judiciary thread run in the least combative manner possible.

Also, since it seems you have this election all but locked up, now would be as good a time as any to use your influence by persuading the people you champion to vote for someone other than yourself. It would be a nice way to help make this hopelessly flawed system work.

19. Cyc

DZ, I am not saying you are part of any Executive Elite, I am saying you are a Moderator. And you are telling people who deserves to be in the Judiciary. Laugh it up if you want.

Too bad you ignored the PM I sent you as soon as Nominations went up addressing this entire situation. All of this could have been avoided.

EDIT:Oh, wait a minute....forgot this....:lol:

20. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Cyc, I got your PM as well as Rik Meleet's and handled your joint request in the manner I saw fit. I wanted the Chief Justice and Associate Justice elections separate as they are an enitrely different set of responsibilities. Laws were not ratified for this at that time so I figured it would be the best way to go. And of course the worst thing happened and we ended up with a tie for Chief Justice. In my year or so of DG experience, you would think I would have seen that one coming. ;)

My vocal endorsement of three other candidates is in no way meant to derail your campaign, as it is quite apparent you will be in the Judiciary this term. It is my way of trying to voice the three votes that I believe should be within my right, and which I have not been allowed during this election.

I am also puzzled that you have never had an issue with my vocal endorsements in the past, but have now decided that it is bad practice in the one election(the very first) that I have not supported you. But sleep well. Judging by the aftermath of the election activity after some of my endorsements, I think it can be proven once and for all that I am no Svengali. ;)

Finally, my apologies for the chuckles. Most of it is bourne of frustration of this current process and my own lack of involvement in an adequate solution. But I do have genuine concern about your combative manner against those that oppose you. Prove me wrong this term and you will get my enthusiastic endorsement next term for anything you run for.

Hell, I will shout it from the mountaintops........