1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Judicial special election: Pre-election thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of Democracy IV' started by Bootstoots, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Here is a list of the seven people who ran in the last Judicial elections:

ravensfire
    Cyc
    Peri
    Bootstoots
    zorven
    naervod
    Vander

Due to rule conflicts and other such problems, a Judicial election between these candidates will be held in approximately 24 hours. If any candidate wishes to drop out of this election, or the procedure that we are using to break the tie is changed again, please post here sometime within the next 24 hours.

2. ravensfire

ravensfire Member of the Opposition

I am confirming that I wish to remain a candidate in the Judicial election.

Good luck to all - this is the best group of candidates I have ever seen!

-- Ravensfire

3. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Why can't others who wish to run also be included? I made it very clear in the constitutional debates that I intended to run for chief justice. If the CJ spot is to be opened to anyone other that the two who ran in the election it should be opened to us all.

4. Vander

Vander Privateering in Idaho

I'm stilll going to run.

5. naervod

naervod My current user title

I will also remain in the election.

6. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I believe you had the opportunity, along with everyone else, to be nominated back when nominations were open.

7. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

If you read through the Chief Justice election thread donsig, you will find that I tried to get a Nomination thread opened again so that this time around it would actually look like a proper election. I also wanted you and Bill_in_PDX to have a shot at this, but I guess some people were fearful of you two running. So this is the best I could do.

8. donsig

Thanks, Cyc. I didn't have time to read through the whole thread.

If the powers that be will allow it, I would like to run for Chief Justice.

9. donsig

I was nominated and seconded. Do the RULES say I have to formally accept in order to be placed on the ballot?

10. naervod

They do actually:

CoS.Y.1.C states: "To be listed in the Election poll, a Citizen must post that they have accepted a nomination."

11. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Donsig,

Please accept my apology for the curtness of my previous reply.

It certainly would be interesting if you were allowed to enter the race, but I'm concerned that it would be unfair to others who might have decided to run for these offices instead of other ones based on your absense from the ballot.

To be perfectly honest, I was quite surprised that your name did not appear on the 1st election poll. It appears that everyone assumed that since there was no acceptance post, you did not want to run.

I think someone already pointed out the current law does require an acceptance post. That law was not in effect at the time that nominations closed, however you acknowledged that you had missed out in this post.

History will say that we collectively blew it with regard to getting the rules straightened out prior to starting the game. Hopefully it will also record that we got by the problem and still had a fun time with the game itself. I hope you'll focus on the fun, and I look forward to next term's elections, which should be spicy indeed. :D

12. donsig

As far as I know the ruleset isn't even in place yet. Here is the link to the rules.

When was CoS.Y.1.C ratified before or after the nomination process???

It sure looks to me like the first judicial review will concern the legitimacy of our elections, especially this special election.

13. naervod

CoS.Y.1.C was ratified after the nomination process. I agree that this first judicial review should concern the legitimacy of the elections. In my opinion, the election process and the game were started way before they should have been. In the future we should wait for a ruleset to be in place before we actually start elections and/or play.

14. donsig

Under the circumstances do you think it would be appropriate to open this election to anyone who wishes to run?

15. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Looks like yer not in this picture, donsig. Better luck in Term 2.

16. Peri

Peri Vote early and vote often

I think donsig any one else who wants to should be allowed to run in this election.

If the election itself was invalid then so was the nomination thread.

17. naervod

@donsig-I am kind of split on this issue. On one hand, I agree with Peri in that the nomination threads were invalid too, but on the other hand I agree with Dave that it would be unfair to other candidates who decided to run or not run for other offices because of your (or anyone else's) decision to not accept the nomination.

18. Peri

My reaction to that is tough. If people are scared of running against donsig then that is their problem.

19. naervod

People would not necessarily be scared, but they might base their decision on who else is running.

20. Peri

True. However the nominations should be opened and the whole process begun from scratch.