[LP] Julius Caesar: First Look

Laurana Kanan

Don’t underestimate who I am.

Julius Caesar leads Rome

Revealed during the November 17th Leader Pass Livestream.

To coincide with the imminent release of Great Negotiators, the first of six new leader packs included as part of the Leaders Pass for Civilization VI, we're excited to announce that on November 21 you can add Julius Caesar to the game's roster on PC, Mac, and iOS!* To do so, simply link your 2K Account to the account of the same platform that you use to play. You can find instructions on how to create and link a 2K Account below.

Once you've linked your 2K Account, you'll need to restart Civilization VI and enable Julius Caesar. To do so, click Additional Content on the game's main menu followed by Mods, then scroll down through your list of additional content, click on "DLC: Julius Caesar," and click on the "Enable" button.

Where Civilization VI's default Roman leader Trajan has a penchant for civilizations with lots of territory and starts with a free building in all founded cities, Caesar is a conqueror. His dislike of Barbarians in-game is a nod to the successful campaign he waged against the tribes of Gaul during his time as a general circa 57 BC.

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Overview

Agenda:
Likes people who destroy Barbarian camps. Dislikes those who do not.

New Ability: Veni, vidi, vici

Receive 200 Gold whenever you conquer a city for the first time or 100 Gold when you clear a Barbarian Outpost. These Gold amounts increase to 500 after you research Steel.

How will you choose to lead as Julius Caesar? Perhaps you want to recreate history by allying with Cleopatra? Maybe you relish the prospect of going toe-to-toe with a leader like the German king Frederick Barbarossa, who became Rome's Holy Emperor a millennium and change after Caesar ruled there? Regardless of how you lead, we hope you enjoy playing as and against one of history's greatest military commanders.

───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Setting up and linking a new 2K Account

Signing up for a 2K Account is easy! Simply go to https://accounts.2k.com/signup and register. Once you’ve completed the sign-up, link the account you use to play and boot up Civilization VI. Once in the game, log into your 2K Account.
You can also sign up for a 2K Account in-game. Simply click on the 2K Account button in the bottom right-hand corner of the main menu and then follow the instructions to register a new account.

Linking an existing 2K Account

If you already have a 2K Account, all you need to do is boot up Civilization VI and then log in to your 2K Account via the button in the bottom right-hand corner of the main menu. Once your account is linked, restart Civilization VI to add Caesar to your roster of leaders.

*Julius Caesar will be delivered automatically in-game on November 21 at 10am PT. Offer available until November 24, 2024. Requires an internet connection, a Steam, Epic Games Store, Mac App Store, or iOS copy of Civilization VI, and a 2K Account linked to the account of the same platform used to play the game. 2K Accounts are free. One per account. Void where prohibited. Terms apply.

Instruction video

Last edited:
  • New Ability: Veni, vidi, vici
Receive a Wildcard policy slot the first time you capture an opposing capital.
Hold up... This is actually pretty good. Incentivizes Conquest while also rewarding you handsomely for doing it at least once.

Hold up... This is actually pretty good. Incentivizes Conquest while also rewarding you handsomely for doing it at least once.

Yeah - there's zero mention of this in his ability description in the livestream so I'm wondering if this is actually in the game or an early intended addition that was dropped but accidentally ended up in the marketing text

I finally put my finger on what I dislike about his model. His face looks great. His body looks stolen from Gilgabro (and he might be using Gilgabro's idles? hard to tell). They don't match.

Mentioned this in the previous thread: Caesar's kind of like a Baby's First Askia: beat up some barbarians, cash in the money and REX. Seems very strong with Raina and her ability to buy districts, and Magnus to get the army together early. Worse than Askia though, because there's no culture snowball thanks to Full Honor => Piety Opener => Mudbrick Mosques.

Being rewarded for going conq is fine, but with no inherent bonuses to conquest other than the Legion, I see Caesar mostly as an econ leader. You conquer your closest neighbour in the classical era, and then transition into a peaceful builder game.

Addendum: Caesar's agenda: exactly the same as Civilized, but we don't know the name yet.
Is Gallic Wars used in the game yet?
Edit: Gosh I've been beaten.

Being rewarded for going conq is fine, but with no inherent bonuses to conquest other than the Legion, I see Caesar mostly as an econ leader. You conquer your closest neighbour in the classical era, and then transition into a peaceful builder game.
Which is pretty thematic for Rome: conquer the world out of paranoia, usher in Pax Romana.

Which is pretty thematic for Rome: conquer the world out of paranoia, usher in Pax Romana.
Yeah, the whole conquest thing wasn't really in the design of Rome until now. Before this Rome was just the free infrastructure civ.

Is Gallic Wars used in the game yet?
I don't remember if that's Ambiorix's Agenda name or not.
I finally put my finger on what I dislike about his model. His face looks great. His body looks stolen from Gilgabro (and he might be using Gilgabro's idles? hard to tell). They don't match.
He probably doesn't. None of Gilgamesh's idles that I've found look like the Caesar Idle shown in the OP. I think it reminds you of Gilgamesh's because his friendship pose is similar to Caesar's, but Gilgamesh's right arm is the one rest on his hip, while Caesar's right arm is the one on his hip.

I don't remember if that's Ambiorix's Agenda name or not.

HE probably doesn't. None of Gilgamesh's idles that I've found look like the Caesar Idle shown in the OP.
Just looked it up. His agenda is "Scourge of Rome". Gallic Wars would work for Caesar.

He probably doesn't. None of Gilgamesh's idles that I've found look like the Caesar Idle shown in the OP. I think it reminds you of Gilgamesh's because his friendship pose is similar to Caesar's, but Gilgamesh's right arm is the one rest on his hip, while Caesar's right arm is the one on his hip.
Skeletons are usually symmetrical; they could be mirrored.

Skeletons are usually symmetrical; they could be mirrored.
There's also the fact that Gilgamesh faces the player directly and his head is straight, while Caesar's body is tilted to his right and his head leans to his right a little.

There's also the fact that Gilgamesh faces the player directly and his head is straight, while Caesar's body is tilted to his right and his head leans to his right a little.
Perhaps. I'm not saying he is for certain using Gilgabro's skeleton, but his proportions definitely resemble Gilgabro's and it's at odds with the more subdued style they chose for his face.

Top Bottom