[LP] Julius Caesar: First Look

I won't be playing this guy unless they change him, because as it stands, Trajan is just a lot stronger.

I'll play him once for sure. As I will all the leaders/personas. Not too likely I'll play him multiple times.

I am most curious what the bonus will be on marathon speed. Which is the speed I most play now days. I also play on huge maps, which means lots of encampments. Although truth be told, it's not like this guy will be pulling in more gold than Portugal, or even England. And you have to work for it. And suffer the diplomatic penalty for it if you are conquering cities.

I'll play him once for sure. As I will all the leaders/personas. Not too likely I'll play him multiple times.

I am most curious what the bonus will be on marathon speed. Which is the speed I most play now days. I also play on huge maps, which means lots of encampments. Although truth be told, it's not like this guy will be pulling in more gold than Portugal, or even England. And you have to work for it. And suffer the diplomatic penalty for it if you are conquering cities.
I think it's more about the timing of when you get the gold. Not sure about you guys but it always feels like I'm being barbarianed after about turn 5.

Help please !

Up till now, all DLC has just appeared in the game when I've paid for it. No issue of having to sign up to anything or open any account (after the initial Steam account). I presume the new leaders (bar Caesar) will be delivered in the same way. However, it seems Caesar requires the creation of a 2K account.

Now, I'm always very wary of signing up to anything, as I don't want my PC screen to be inundated with unwanted promotion and marketing. Ditto my email inbox.

Please can somebody who already has a 2K account let me know if there are any downsides. (No guesses or assumptions please, only facts).

Thanks.

Help please !

Up till now, all DLC has just appeared in the game when I've paid for it. No issue of having to sign up to anything or open any account (after the initial Steam account). I presume the new leaders (bar Caesar) will be delivered in the same way. However, it seems Caesar requires the creation of a 2K account.

Now, I'm always very wary of signing up to anything, as I don't want my PC screen to be inundated with unwanted promotion and marketing. Ditto my email inbox.

Please can somebody who already has a 2K account let me know if there are any downsides. (No guesses or assumptions please, only facts).

Thanks.

I signed up for a 2K account and linked it with my Steam account years ago to get the "Scout Cat" DLC for Civ 6.

There have been no downsides. I haven't ever even gotten a single email from 2K.

Help please !

Thanks.
What kinda downsides? I don't see any

I'm not sure how a gold reward for conquering is comparable to free monuments. Buy monuments with the gold you got from capturing? I'd rather have the monument up front to beeline Oligarchy while taking it out of the build orders to set up my expands, encampment, and Legion pre builds. I suspect Trajan's Legion rush will be swifter in most cases, and timing is everything. The late game gold seems negligible due to pillaging w/ raid and trade routes stretching across Rome's empire. Still, I'm excited to try out new, free content.
These are my sentiments as well.
Free monuments are very, very powerful for rushing Oligarchy, and even the Agoge card if you fancy that.
Gold from capturing cities is anti-synergistic in that gold is not really an issue at this point in the game (first early war), and if you needed gold it would be for buying units.
But those extra gold-bought units you would want to have before you actually attack your neighbour, not after you took a few of their cities and they are about to collapse anyway.
There is also anti-synergy when playing with Barbarian Clans mode enabled.
You get gold for clearing camps and you can buy cheap units from barb camps, that's fine.
But once you clear out a camp (for that gold), the camp is gone and you can no longer buy units from it, which is awkward to say the least.

Not well designed, essentially.

Help please !

Thanks.
I've had a 2K account since 2014 and I haven't noticed any downsides at all. Like, it's such a non-issue I don't even understand the point of it.

I'm not sure how a gold reward for conquering is comparable to free monuments. Buy monuments with the gold you got from capturing? I'd rather have the monument up front to beeline Oligarchy while taking it out of the build orders to set up my expands, encampment, and Legion pre builds. I suspect Trajan's Legion rush will be swifter in most cases, and timing is everything. The late game gold seems negligible due to pillaging w/ raid and trade routes stretching across Rome's empire. Still, I'm excited to try out new, free content.

Free monuments are very, very powerful for rushing Oligarchy, and even the Agoge card if you fancy that.
Gold from capturing cities is anti-synergistic in that gold is not really an issue at this point in the game (first early war), and if you needed gold it would be for buying units.
But those extra gold-bought units you would want to have before you actually attack your neighbour, not after you took a few of their cities and they are about to collapse anyway.
You get gold for clearing camps and you can buy cheap units from barb camps, that's fine.
But once you clear out a camp (for that gold), the camp is gone and you can no longer buy units from it, which is awkward to say the least.

All true, sort of...

What you kind of avoid talking about, IMHO, is... flexibility ! What if Monument are not my priority in this particular game I'm playing ? Gold allows me to decide what advantage I will pursue...

Is it better ? no, I don't think so... Is it worse ? I don't think so either... What it is is different and flexible, while as you mention, more flukey and less plannable...

Different is good IMHO

All true, sort of...

What you kind of avoid talking about, IMHO, is... flexibility ! What if Monument are not my priority in this particular game I'm playing ? Gold allows me to decide what advantage I will pursue...

Is it better ? no, I don't think so... Is it worse ? I don't think so either... What it is is different and flexible, while as you mention, more flukey and less plannable...

Different is good IMHO
I don't disagree that gold makes you flexible, my gripe is just that it starts kicking in at the wrong point in the game.
Before you rush your first neighbour, you need that gold right now for getting the infrastructure in place - be it for units (saving production time), monuments, an extra settler or a builder.
But once you start preparing for war, you have to start gearing your whole economy over for war (producing units).
At that point it doesn't really help if you get gold after you captured half your neighbours empire, because at that point you are already starting to snowball hard and the game gets vastly easier.

Help please !

Thanks.

I just signed up. I didn't use my real name. There is a check box where you can opt in promotions, so I would advise that. It was already unselected by default.

Given that Firaxis has just trolled us by releasing a trailer of another trailer, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Wildcard Policy Slot Ability is indeed part of Caesar's resume, but they deleted it from the website to fool us into thinking it was deleted. :p

This is a lot of speculation, I know, but at this point, I wouldn't be phased.

I'm surprised there is no discussion about having to link your account to 2k to get this.

What do you guys think of this?
I don't think there's anything beyond the normal marketing BS tied to this, but I'd still rather not; and certainly didn't just to get the cats. But I have done so to get Caesar. He's a smidge more relavant to the game!
I mean I still prefer them to the bobble-headed freaks of CIV IV...

Incidentally I've never played CIV III but recently I watched a video on YouTube of what the leaders looked like and it was very much a WTF moment...
Well, look at the graphics on games older than it! At the time, it wasn't a bad effort all n all.

Om the contrary, Julius will be a very good leader in barb clan mode. Remember, you only get XP for clearing camps in that mode, he'll get both.

The cool down between buying units from the same camp makes it impractical to try and buy more than one. What he could do is buy a unit, clear the camp, and recoup some of the gold from the purchase.

The gold from cities seems to be more of a reward for doing something than a reason to do it, but that camp gold is low key powerful

Om the contrary, Julius will be a very good leader in barb clan mode. Remember, you only get XP for clearing camps in that mode, he'll get both.

The cool down between buying units from the same camp makes it impractical to try and buy more than one. What he could do is buy a unit, clear the camp, and recoup some of the gold from the purchase.

The gold from cities seems to be more of a reward for doing something than a reason to do it, but that camp gold is low key powerful
The best part is that Barb Camps will spawn all the time. Just make sure that you keep one or two areas out of anyone's field of view for the late game, and you will have a naturally regenerating Barb Camp farm every now and then waiting for you.

Many thanks Pokiehl for a constructive and helpful reply.

No thanks the show offs and yah-boo merchants who merely want to put people down.
To be honest, I had to look to see that I had a linked 2K account, because like the others it has been a complete non-issue since whenever I got it (which was at least several years ago).
Like you, I am extremely leery of 'sign ups' for anything, but the 2K sign-up has been about as benign as it is possible to be.

The best part is that Barb Camps will spawn all the time. Just make sure that you keep one or two areas out of anyone's field of view for the late game, and you will have a naturally regenerating Barb Camp farm every now and then waiting for you.

That's good, but I think the best part is that Caesar will be one of the few domination focused leader who can still benefit from his abilities in peacetime

Last edited:
Top Bottom