[LP] Julius Caesar: First Look

I tried to have Caesar constantly saying how much he loves his friends and how they’d never betray him. That was my joke there.
I believe this joke wasn't allowed, because in Civ VI indeed nobody is allowed to betray one's friends. Declarations of Friendship are set in stone and cannot be broken, even if they have been signed with Caesar. Ides of March may come and go, but if they fall somewhere between and including turns 1-30 of the DoF, Caesar (and everyone else) is safe. Unless... there were... (heavy breathing) ...some changes in the code? Nah, probably not. Everyone's safe, right?

Then maybe something along the culinary lines was worth a shot? Although tried and tested already, but if served in a different dressing? :)

I believe this joke wasn't allowed, because in Civ VI indeed nobody is allowed to betray one's friends. Declarations of Friendship are set in stone and cannot be broken, even if they have been signed with Caesar. Ides of March may come and go, but if they fall somewhere between and including turns 1-30 of the DoF, Caesar (and everyone else) is safe. Unless... there were... (heavy breathing) ...some changes in the code? Nah, probably not. Everyone's safe, right?

Then maybe something along the culinary lines was worth a shot? Although tried and tested already, but if served in a different dressing? :)
HWFyW.jpeg

Attachments

• 3990_screenshots_2014-12-24_00003.jpg
    3990_screenshots_2014-12-24_00003.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 43

Check the Accept / Reject friendship lines!

Check the Accept / Reject friendship lines!

Ah, I see, they did get in!

<Row Tag="LOC_DIPLO_ACCEPT_DECLARE_FRIEND_FROM_HUMAN_LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR_ANY">
<Text>I have Octavian, Antony, and my dear Brutus amongst my friends. And now you!</Text>

<Row Tag="LOC_DIPLO_ACCEPT_DECLARE_FRIEND_FROM_AI_LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR_ANY">
<Text>I shall be as true a friend to you as my dear Brutus is to me.</Text>

<Row Tag="LOC_DIPLO_REJECT_DECLARE_FRIEND_FROM_HUMAN_LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR_ANY">
<Text>I can always tell a treacherous friend. Always.</Text>

On the last one, yes, of course, so can I, they are those who refuse to sign a DoF :)

<Row Tag="LOC_DIPLO_REJECT_DECLARE_FRIEND_FROM_AI_LEADER_JULIUS_CAESAR_ANY">
<Text>You look lean and hungry. Such people are dangerous.</Text>

I must say, from here it is a rather long shot until it lands on a salad, though :)

<Text>You look lean and hungry. Such people are dangerous.</Text>

I must say, from here it is a rather long shot until it lands on a salad, though :)
It's almost a direct quote from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar: "Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous." Cassius was an Epicurean, a philosophy that was not about hedonistic indulgence of pleasure like the modern stereotype but about the avoidance of pain as a virtue. Epicureans, like Stoics, were ascetics.

That's when he accepts a Delegation from the Player, I believe.
What's the exact quote? I can't find it on his civ wiki article.
I'm assuming he invites the delegation to a play at Ford Theater? :mischief:

It's almost a direct quote from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar: "Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look; He thinks too much: such men are dangerous." Cassius was an Epicurean, a philosophy that was not about hedonistic indulgence of pleasure like the modern stereotype but about the avoidance of pain as a virtue. Epicureans, like Stoics, were ascetics.
Of course - that's the reference. Shakespeare is always an easy reference to make, so I try to do something more obscure, but it's really hard to resist a lot of the time.

Of course - that's the reference. Shakespeare is always an easy reference to make, so I try to do something more obscure, but it's really hard to resist a lot of the time.
Honestly Shakespeare is why I want Henry V to lead England and just spout Prince Hal for all his lines.

Honestly Shakespeare is why I want Henry V to lead England and just spout Prince Hal for all his lines.
Look about. You'll find the Bard here and there in a bunch of people. Again, I have to constrain myself, especially considering how it'll be translated into other languages (and not just the spoken languages, but when the text goes German or Chinese, you lose some of that English poetry, as you do pulling Goethe into English). And I don't want to make Caesar into the character that Shakespeare made him, rather, I'd like him to be himself - or my version of him (which is a brilliant, ambitious, extremely overconfident doofus) a bit. But man it's always tempting to add when you have a nice line - O for a muse of fire! - Once more into the breach, dear friends! Like those.

My education is in Thai and Lao, and not in European stuff, but of course I've read the canon.

Look about. You'll find the Bard here and there in a bunch of people. Again, I have to constrain myself, especially considering how it'll be translated into other languages (and not just the spoken languages, but when the text goes German or Chinese, you lose some of that English poetry, as you do pulling Goethe into English). And I don't want to make Caesar into the character that Shakespeare made him, rather, I'd like him to be himself - or my version of him (which is a brilliant, ambitious, extremely overconfident doofus) a bit. But man it's always tempting to add when you have a nice line - O for a muse of fire! - Once more into the breach, dear friends! Like those.

My education is in Thai and Lao, and not in European stuff, but of course I've read the canon.
My undergrad is in literature so I always appreciate the literary references, wherever they come from. :love:

Played a few games with him. C-Tier civ, low B at best. The extra gold from barb camps helps you start strong, but...say you clear 6 camps...that's like 720 gold, enough to buy a monument in your first 3 cities....oh wait Trajan gets all the free monuments he wants.

I tried the Marathon/Barb Clans exploit...that pushes him up to low B tier. Farming 3-4 barb camps simultaneously on Deity is harder than it sounds. And Gorgo does that exploit better, anyway.

Gold for taking cities is irrelevant. If you're taking cities in Civ 6, you're already on the way to victory.

I mean, yeah if you are just going to buy monuments Caesar is worse than Trajan... But since the first settler you can build is 320 gold to buy instead. It's not outrageous to farm barb camps for gold to buy new city and to upgrade warriors to legions...

Caesar's biggest weakness is that he depends on getting a spawn with a reasonable number of barbarians nearby. If you have a quiet game, he won't have the tools he needs to snowball.

Last edited:
Regardless, it doesn't invalidate NZ's point - if they don't like the design and don't want to link to a 2K account, then don't do it. Problem solved. 🤷‍♀️

Look at it this way: I'm not willing to accept the fact that 2K is asking me to trade away my private data as a form of currency. Actually, this might even be illegal, at least in Europe (since there's no other way to purchase Julius). I have quite enough amounts of USD, EUR and CAD... currencies that we all agreed to use... and 2K is *not* accepting them, not in this case.

Played a few games with him. C-Tier civ, low B at best. The extra gold from barb camps helps you start strong, but...say you clear 6 camps...that's like 720 gold, enough to buy a monument in your first 3 cities....oh wait Trajan gets all the free monuments he wants.

I tried the Marathon/Barb Clans exploit...that pushes him up to low B tier. Farming 3-4 barb camps simultaneously on Deity is harder than it sounds. And Gorgo does that exploit better, anyway.

Gold for taking cities is irrelevant. If you're taking cities in Civ 6, you're already on the way to victory.
I agree with the sentiment. I don't play barb mode so my game was unaffected by that mechanic. I didn't encounter 6 camps in my game....sometimes I only get one or can't clear a camp at all depending on the map. Extra gold from barbs is a nice to have overall, but inferior to free monuments in every way. Less flexible, less early tempo. A single mine pillage with Raid/Total War slotted out performs the Civ bonus for taking cities.

in case anyone is curious, his bonus is 300/600 gold on marathon speed. I'm assuming epic speed is 200/400. Which is almost enough to buy a new monument in conquered cities (assuming the city doesn't already have one).

Look at it this way: I'm not willing to accept the fact that 2K is asking me to trade away my private data as a form of currency. Actually, this might even be illegal, at least in Europe (since there's no other way to purchase Julius). I have quite enough amounts of USD, EUR and CAD... currencies that we all agreed to use... and 2K is *not* accepting them, not in this case.
Yes, I would prefer to have a choice how to pay as well...and if there is one thing good in the patchless LP (technically only so far, I know, but how many really still believe in a meaty patch with the 2nd release?*) not igniting my desire to play Civ6 again, then it is turning the question "Should I sell my data?" into a purely rhetoric one.

* The completely irrational rest hope for it though makes me still lurking, reading and posting here... :crazyeye:

Top Bottom