1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jump from Civ IV to VI? or give Civ V a try?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by earthguido, Aug 13, 2016.

1. earthguido

earthguido Warlord

I have been terribly addicted to all Civilizations from I to IV, including Alpha Centauri. I have played all of them for years. However, for several reasons I never even bought Civ V.

Should I buy Civ VI straight ahead or should I first spend some months in Civ V? Come on oldies, give me some advice.

Thanks!

2. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Doesn't matter, actually. But I'd recommend Civ5 because it has its own fun, different from both Civ4 and Civ6.

3. shyPiano

shyPiano Prince

I think it's too early to tell... Civilization VI is shaping up to be very different from Civilization V, even if many aspects of it seem familiar. It could help you get accustomed to Hexes, 1UPT, Religion, Trade Routes, Tourism and Great Works, and the such, which could give you a leg up when first starting Civilization VI. Or maybe it'll be best to discover all of these in Civ VI so you won't be developing bad habits from one game to the next. :dunno:
    Maybe ask again in a few months.

But I'll tell you this: Steam has sales often, and Civilization V Complete can often go for 12$ or something along those lines. At this price, the game is a total steal! :) So I'd highly advise you to try it out then.

4. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

My suggestion would be to buy civ V first, since you could probably get it for really cheap with all dlc's and expansions. At gamesplanet the price is with 70% discount. But I don't know if it is area restricted (only for Europe) or worldwide. But similar prices you could find easily I think.
    Some civ-players didn't like the 1upt (1 unit per tile) system introduced in civ 5 and also available in 6. So you could try this out. Also even different civ 6 is closer to civ 5. The differences between 4 and 5 is much larger. Depending on how you experience 5 you could decide to buy 6.

5. BojanR 81

BojanR 81 Chieftain

I was and I'm still great fan of Civ 4 BTS. Civ 5 BNW have some advantages and some disadvantages (according to my opinion it has more disadvantages) when we compare it with Civ 4 BTS. If you have a time, take a look on you tube, a lot of people posted their civ5 games there. Spend few hours there and you will take a decision to buy or not to buy Civ 5. However, I don't know are there is going to be expansions for Civ 6 but until this game gets it's final shape few years will pass... ;) .

6. apocalypse105

apocalypse105 Deity

A lot of concepts as tourisme
    one unit per tile yes there is stacking in civ 5 but only a certain amount
    New movement cost where implented in civ 5 that are olso in civ 6 but improved

so yeah its worth buying civ 5 brave new world. Especially for the trade system and tourisme that will olso be present in civ 6 Pretty sure it will be the same mechanic or improved so getting ahead start of that is good.

7. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

Before you make any rash decisions, I recommend reading this. It's long, but well worth it. The arguments laid out on that page still haven't been properly countered by the fans of Civ V; all they can muster is 'he just doesn't like the changes' or 'lol so much hate'. Speaks volumes imo.

If you can stand the broken battle AI, then imo Civ V is worth it. If otoh your enjoyment of the game hinges on the AI's adequate performance, then I'd give it a pass, even at $ 12. There is also a mod that is often praised on these forums (Community Balance Patch, or Vox Populi) that supposedly does wonders to the AI of Civ V; I haven't tried it 'cause Civ VI is too close now to bother anymore with Civ V.

prokop likes this.
  8. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Don't bother buying civ5. It's not worth it even to taste test the similar mechanics. Just learn them as they're meant to be played in the newest version. Go in with a fresh look.

9. Denkt

Denkt Reader

Purchase civilization V if you want to play a game that is different to both civilization IV and civilization VI. Yes it do have flaws but so do civilization IV and civilization VI will also have flaws.

10. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

CiV is great, definitely try it. CiVI probably won't be balanced until the first expansion-pack six months from now.

11. Acken

Acken Deity

Civ6 is closer to civ5 than it is to civ4. You can skip it or test it to get a feel of 1upt.

I dont even understand what people thinking civ5 is trash are expecting of civ6. Civ6 seems to improve over civ5 but if your main criticism is 1upt youll be disapointed.

12. Haig

Haig Deity

I would skip 5 and go straight to 6, looks like its going to expand the civ 5 systems and do it better and more interesting.

13. eyememine

eyememine Chieftain

I think this says it all. Especially the first sentence is important. To judge Civ VI seriously it's too early.

14. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

I would recommedn skipping V. The base game is utter crap in my opinion, so you'd have to go with the expansion packs, and you're probably better off waiting for VI rather than buying V. I also recommend reading Sullla's paper.

15. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

Why would anyone buy the base game? The complete pak cost versus the base game is really negligible.

As for the original question, don't buy CiV to prepare for Civ VI. The mechanics are different enough where I do not think they will feel anything alike, with the exception of the hex grid system. Unit movement and such will feel really similar (except when moving into rough terrain :lol:). But that's not something that you really need to learn in advance.

16. rastak

rastak Emperor

I printed sulla's opinion out and used it to line my bird cage.

17. Ricci

Ricci Prince

If you are such a fun of the older civ games, just spare yourself the grief and wait straight for VI. There is no use in learning hexes, 1UPT or any other feature which will surely be much more adequate learning it from the new "adjusted" game. Twelve bucks can still be a rip off.

18. Magil

Magil Monarch

It really depends on how desperate you are for gaming right now... currently, it looks like VI is going to execute everything V did on a much higher level. By that I mean, it incorporates all the new things that V brought to the series, and does it better, so when it comes out, there's not going to be much reason to go back to V (unless you really like the World Congress or something).

Not to say V is bad per se... just that, in terms of innovation, you're going to get the same experience going from IV to VI it seems, as you would going from IV to V, and likely going to get a better experience in terms of things like balance, fun factor, and depth.

19. Karmah

Karmah King Supporter

Since Civ5 is by far the best and outclasses civ4 in every aspect , I'd say you can't regret playing civ5 for two months. And I was a fan of civ4 (and 3 ,2,1 )...when it was its time that i , I hopefully didn't get stuck with no valid reason :)

20. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

No matter whether one prefers Civ4 or Civ5, I think it's safe to say that Civ6 takes a LOT of its game mechanics from Civ5. There may be differences, but Civ6 still seems a lot closer to Civ5 than it does to Civ4. For that reason, I recommend buying Civ5 at a low price to try it out before diving into Civ6. If one vehemently dislikes Civ5, I see no reason to believe that one would feel much differently about Civ6.

PS: Civ5+GK+BnW with some mods is fantastic.