1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Jumping on the bandwagon: Ask a Homosexual

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by croxis, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Me neither, it's very irrational. And I feel quite silly for the discomfort :)

I'm not worried about harming a relationship, and I haven't tried it. just the first emotion that pops while thinking about it is earieness (spelling?)
    Shaking hands, no problem. Physical contact, no problem. Holding hands, barrier.

Heh, odd. I'm going to try this for sure :)

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

If you're really liberal, you can rope an arm around his waist, and put a hand in his back pocket. THEN see how people treat you/look at you!

3. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

:D Babysteps Mac.

If any of those people is my girlfriend I know how she'll react. She has seen my wardrobe...

My favourite colour is grey :)

4. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

Would you mind if gays were given the same rights a marriage, but under the name of a "civil union"?

5. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

OK, what particular form of activity is "Jumping on the bandwagon"

Does it require a lot of lubrication?

6. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

There is actually some research that supports this.

7. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

That reminds me of Ann Coulter accusing Bill Clinton of being gay because he had extramarital affairs.

8. Mathilda

Mathilda Queen

When I had a girfriend, we were often holding hands, sometimes kissing in public.
    Never had any trouble because of it, but you do get "looks".
    I remeber how it felt later, doing the same with a bloke, nobody looked, made me feel almost invisible, very strange.

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Well, I think the public is much more accepting of physical affection between women (sexual or not) than between men. Maybe one of the reasons women live longer is because they are affectionate with each other whereas a man is only socially "allowed" to show physical affection towards ONE woman, NO men and in moderation the family dog and his own children (God forbid he be too affectionate towards any other children though, lest he be labeled a molester).

10. croxis

croxis Chat room op

In general it seems to be the case, but the more middle of the road people like me are either uncommon or just really good at becoming invisible.

In relationships it is sometimes the case, but in my own and my friends' experiences it is usually not. For example, if Derek and I make it that far he will end up being the bread winner and I will be the one cooking and raising the kids. But I hate shopping and he loves it. :D

hmmm. Well I am not a fan of my body. I love food too much and haven't found anyone to exersize with (although I may take on the Hacker's Diet). I don't think I enjoy it more, unless I was one of those people who are attracted to themselves. I know what I want to say I just dunno how to say it. I don't get more pleasure because I am a dude no more than a straight dude getting less pleasure from self because he is a dude for the same reason. We don't consider the self as an object of desire.

Although it is kinda funny when you think about it. "You masturbate? You're so ghey!"

Some can, but I doubt all are. I am sure most feel threaten in some way, which is a very odd stance to take.

I came to terms with it over a very long period of time. It took me 5 years to be able to admit it to myself and another 2 to finally come out. If I had a friend or hero who just so happened to be gay it would have given me some direction the process would have been smoother or faster. Internally it was very bumpy and it just took time.

I think it is stupid. Seriously. It is a maniac mob mentality. Americans (people in general?) fixate on only one or two issues that totally dictates how they choose other things. It can be very two faced too. Odd enough I know people who like Will and Grace but think homosexuality is an evil thing. The popularity of Brokeback Mountain, the first mainstream gay film that I know of which isn't a comedy or doesn't feature drag queens, seems to be an indicator that in some places homosexuality is being normalized. (That movie only started at a couple showing in only one theater in Portland. Because of the long lines and every showing being sold out the other theaters realized they could make money off it and showed it almost everywhere).

Nope, although I am not sure I would seriously date one. If I had a choice between a life with and a life without stigma and be equally as happy with my partner in each, I would go the route of least resistance. Alas, I do not have that choice.

11. croxis

croxis Chat room op

I am afraid of that route. I would still push for the same thing (separate but equal doesn't work)(and I would perfer everything civil unions), but it seems that the push for equality stalls when just given civil unions.

Because everyone else was doing "Ask a _blank" thread I thought I would too

12. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

Sorry if this has been touched upon before, but does the female form arouse you in any way at all?

13. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

This might have very little to do with homosexuality, but why would you choose to stay at home? Most families have both spouses working (and personaly, I can't understand why anyone would choose to stay at home instead of working).

14. Cu Chulainn

Cu Chulainn The Unoriginal

Pardon the inanity of any of these questions. My curiousity knows no bounds.

In my experience men are more direct with their thoughts and less direct with their feelings than women.
    Do you agree with this assessment?
    If so, how does it make gay relationships different from straight ones?

What is the affect of your sexuality on your relationships with women? Men?

Does the average homosexual have more homosexual friends of the non-preferred gender than the average straight person given all else equal?

Do you have any commentary from your position as an outside observer of heterosexual relationships?

Is it doubly heart breaking when two people you are interested in fall for each other?

15. Eran of Arcadia

Eran of Arcadia Stormin' Mormon Retired Moderator

The Sunshine and Lettuce Capital of the World
    A lot of couples have one member stay at home, I think that many hold it to be better for the kids.

16. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Not sexually, but there is... something about a women that men don't have. It is very evident when you watch a tango dance.

Eran is correct. There is a good amount of research which suggests that having a parent at home will help out the child. There are a few reasons why I say me. First is that I'm the one that will be making less (teachers usually make less than accountants). Second I am better trained in being a parent. And I am also trained in child development so I know a good slew of nasty tricks to make my kid grow up how I want :devil:

In general, but that seems to be a socially assigned roll than something which is biological. There is a comical scene in the movie But I'm a Cheerleader that involves this. Actually, watch the movie if you haven't, it is hilarious. The impact on relationships is really unclear. I'm personally more direct with my emotions than my thoughts and I haven't had any close friends in that kind of situation you described to see what kind of impact it has on the dynamics.

I think me being shy has a bigger effect on my relationships (i am assuming platonic) than my sexuality. Like most other gay males, I feel a little more comfortable around women because they rarely feel threatened. Also being able to check out boys together helps. ;)
    I'm not the stereotype fratboy male so there is no Monday night football parties or anything like that to develop that kind of male friendship. My guy friends are either gay themselves or have no issues with my sexuality. See, there is that threatened thing again. How the heck am I threatening? Odd enough all my straight male friends come from my marching background.

I would say yes, but I don't have odd numbers for that. It is the stereotype and I do think there is a good amount of truth to it.

Ooo commentary about heterosexual relationships. I think that males overall are oppressed to be the hide your emotion alpha male type. The socially forced gender roles in heterosexual relationships don't help either. The idea of being the man or the women in a relationship is silly, people should just be themselves. Sadly most of my commentary can be applied to hetero or homosexual relationships. They are far more alike than they are not.

YES.

17. Cu Chulainn

Cu Chulainn The Unoriginal

Which common slang terms for "homosexual", if any, do you consider appropriate for conversational use?

Your hand holding experiment reminds me of an experience I had once on campus. I found myself walking three paces behind an exceptionally attractive woman. I began watching men's faces as they passed her and was suprised how obviously they were checking her out. For the three blocks our paths crossed each of the men we passed gave an unmissable once over. It almost made me sick imagining what that feels like. I'm curious about your version, but I honestly don't think I want to know.

18. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Have you had sex with another male? If so, when was your first time?

19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

:lol:

This 100% happened to me too, in fact it's what gave me the idea for my other experiments. I noticed 3 types of men: men who didn't notice her (stressed, usually), men who noticed her way back and didn't look until the last second (they'd turn their head to check her out, once she couldn't see them checking her out), and the third type oogled unabashedly.

It most often happened in university, and I made it a point to occassionally trail any of my female friends, just to see how people acted when they didn't think they be noticed.

20. croxis

croxis Chat room op

for my part of the world, gay and lesbian works best. Queer is you are talking about the big umbrella, such as lgbqtpmowxyz culture. I use poofter (brits, please correct my spelling!) because most people don't know what I am talking about.

Another variation of the experiment is to also see how much skin needs to be shown before more looks happen. :)

I did the whole shebang when I was almost 19 and a half. I did the more minor stuff (hands and mouth) a couple months sooner than that.